By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Santa Barbara Massacre: To Hell With Facts

McDonaldsGuy said:
SlayerRondo said:
Leadified said:

Is, freedom at all costs, really something worth attaining? You have a Pandora's Box of possibilites awaiting you.

Is, a life without freedom, really something worth having?

All I have done is drawn a line and said the cost of new gun controls would take us too far away from being free. As I implied in the beginning, some measures are tollerable while some are not.

If we were to restric freedom to the point that no one would die, that is a world I would not wish to live in.

Yeah! Go freedom! Freedom to kill college students, kids, and more! Who wants to live in a society where we can't have the freedom to go to a college and start shooting random strangers?

This..  Guess what.  Europe has freedom.  Most asian countries has.  Your peaceful neighbour canada has freedom. If freedom is killing whom you want then it is really nothing but anarchy..  

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
novasonic said:
SlayerRondo said:
novasonic said:
I know there is a group of decent human beings that properly use and care for guns, but the problem is that there are far too many assholes in the world.

It sucks, but ultimately, innocent people's lives are more important than your hobby.

If we were to have freedom's restricted on the basis of what an asshole way do then there would scarcely be any left to have.

And lets be realistic here for a moment, you don't advocate banning guns but rather a state monopoly of gun ownership. I would say that of the many assholes out there, many of them are in the employ of the state, which is the number one reason why we need to posses guns in the first place.

To many it may be a hobby, to others it is a means of protecting one's self and others.

And if they ever did ban guns, and then the inevitable massacre occurs, they will simply find another scapegoat, such as violent video games.

Owning a weapon that can kill people with the twitch of a finger is not a right, and it wouldn't lead to real rights being revoked. The fact that some people believe that is mind boggling. Unless you live in the sticks and need to fight off animals, there is simply no valid reason for you to need one.

Real rights are being taken from us constantly, and there may come a day when people will need guns to defend themselves not just against each other but against the government, and I wish to be prepared for that day or have my decendants be prepared.

You yourself indicated that there are assholes out their who I'm guessing are not going to care to much for the prohibition of guns and I would therefore like a gun to defend myself from them.

Also as indicated by this story would you also support the banning of knives as three people were killed by them? Hell your far more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident then die is a shooting massacre.

Have you also considered what the impact of 3D printers will be given the even in the earlt stages of the technology being introduced, they can print working guns? How will you stop people from possessing firearms when all they need to do is print one out. In that scenario where it is practically impossible to stop lunatics from possessing guns, I would much rather be armed to defend myself rather than hoping I dont find myself in trouble.

And you dont support banning guns, you support a gun monopoly in the hands of the state.

The government is going to turn on us?.. Car crashes kill people anyways so we might as well have guns?.. 3D printer guns are equally as dangerous as real guns?.. You've done nothing but prove my point in my opinion.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

badgenome said:
He also killed half of his victims with a knife. Who's up for some knife control?

We already have knife laws such as how long the blade can be if you carry one in your pocket, laws against switchblades, etc...

I'm pretty damn sure that you can't walk around with a samurai sword in public.

sethnintendo said:

We already have knife laws such as how long the blade can be if you carry one in your pocket, laws against switchblades, etc...

Apparently we need tougher knife laws, like banning sharp knives altogether. But of course that will never happen due to the stupid knife lobby in this country and all the "no! muh rights!" people.

badgenome said:
sethnintendo said:

Apparently we need tougher knife laws, like banning sharp knives altogether. But of course that will never happen due to the stupid knife lobby in this country and all the "no! muh rights!" people.

After reading the article they mainly want to ban long, pointed knifes.

"With a long, pointed knife, cutting into vital organs was no more difficult than cutting into a ripe melon, the doctors wrote. They argued that continued use of the dagger design may just be a tradition stretching back to between 3000 and 700 BC. The doctors asked 10 well-known chefs about whether large pointed kitchen knives had a culinary purpose.

"Some commented that a point is useful in the fine preparation of some meat and vegetables, but that this could be done with a short pointed knife (less than 5cm in length). None gave a reason why the long pointed knife was essential," they wrote. The Home Office said the law already prohibited the possession of knives in a public place without good reason, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding 8cm (3in). The government has also announced plans to make knives harder to buy and to raise the minimum age for ownership from 16 to 18."

I keep wanting to make sexual joke after reading this part...

Around the Network
DD_Bwest said:
I just read he spent hundreds buying lottos in a desperate attempt to get rich to get laid..

all he needed to do was get a hooker..

I don't think it was only about having sex, but about being accepted and adored like he thought he should be (according to his manifesto).

The sick thing is that just like Dzokhar Tsarnaev he has a lot of girl and gay guys fawning over him on Twitter. "dammm hes hot yo!" If he had stayed alive and got conjugal visits, he could finally have gotten laid.

Burek said:
I started reading this out of curiosity, because being European I just cannot comprehend the obsession Americans have with their guns.
I simply cannot comprehend the situation in which everyone is safer because everyone has guns. To me it's paradoxical.

It seems that almost every month we see and read some person in the US going nuts and killing a bunch of people. This guy - sure, he stabbed some - but he still had enough guns to finish what he started.

By the way, I didn't notice that any civilian who had a gun had jumped in to intervene and stop the killer. As a matter of fact, come to think of it, almost all shooters either in the end kill themselves, or the police shoots them.
So where are all those "legal" gun owners, needing 3 pistols and 2 shotguns for defense, when stuff like this occurs?

From my perspective, it's just hypocrisy. People claim they need guns for defense, but they never end up using them in defense, only in "offense" when they need to shoot unarmed people. I guess it's just a need to feel important, to personally feel empowered, but without any courage to actually defend themselves, and especially other defenseless human beings, when the need arises.

I am pretty sure that most of those gun proponents buying weapons to defend themselves from the evil government would crap their pants at the first sight of a tank or when faced with a trained military unit.
And especially today, when a soldier in Houston or Phoenix can sit in his armchair and kill a person in Yemen or Pakistan at the touch of a button. An assault rifle sure did protect that Pakistani guy.

Anyway, discussions like these are pretty much useless, nobody's opinion will be changed in the end. We can just hope that the next time a gun owner "snaps", we are not in their vicinity.

I could be wrong but most mass shootings happen in gun free zones, the sandy hook was gun free, the movie theatre was gun free. But the other problem is the ones that get stopped dont make national or international head lines. do a search and you will find plenty.

on the second part, i am sure most would, but they sure as hecked helped Bundy defend his land. Having guns makes it harder for the federal government to take your land because they would have to kill you, and that is hard. Where as with no gun, they can just come and put you in a camp and you can die out of sight, much easier to convince people to take an unarmed populace than an armed one. Not to mention the bad press that would be blasted all over the internet and world when the feds start shooting their own citizens.

http://nakedlaw.avvo.com/crime/8-horrible-crimes-stopped-by-legal-gun-owners.html

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/23/here-are-three-gun-owners-who-stopped-crime-and-saved-lives-courtesy-of-the-second-amendment/

Pristine20 said:
-CraZed- said:
badgenome said:
He also killed half of his victims with a knife. Who's up for some knife control?

Me. We also need more automobile control, starting with those evil BMWs,  as he killed at least one of his victims with his Beamer.

You pro-gun folks sometimes make some really ridiculous arguments. A car's purpose is transportation. A gun's purpose is to kill efficiently. Everything cancause death. Now I don't think a gun ban really solves anything but you guys need to stop these useless comparisons. FYI, you won't win a war with the U.S. govt no matter how many guns you stash. Best case scenario is a bloodbath with 10X the casualties on the civillian side.

thats simply untrue

the2real4mafol said:
This issue still makes no sense to me. The gun issue is clearly an american except. Why do people find it necessary to own guns for "protection"? It's the 21st century not the fucking 19th!! There are no bandits of criminals going round killing and robbing people anymore and unless you live in some wood somewhere you weren't get attacked by a wild animal.

And yeah I have changed my mind, guns shouldn't be banned altogether. Banning them, much like drugs or alcohol or prostitution just means more lucrative trade for cartels. But what i struggle to get at is the lack of common sense on this issue in America. The land where anyone regardless of their past can get a gun easily, I just find that crazy. People should be trained how to use these things because it seems alot of the incidents that occur happen because the owner of the gun was reckless in some way. Also, a gun ain't like any other commodity or product and so due to the risks of owning one, they shouldn't be so freely accessible. The lack of stuff like mental health checks when buying these sort of things also makes no sense.

Also, gun advocate reasons are just as stupid. You lot really think you can take on the state? How naive of you to think like that? You may have your guns but they can bomb you, nuke you etc before you even have a chance to fight. Also, you gun advocates can't carry on deluding yourselves while innocent people are being killed. Countries like Switzerland rarely if ever have this sort of incidents, because they are properly trained and know how to be responsible gun owners. I don't want to write off american gun owners but these incidents (homicide, misogyny etc.) seem to be quite common and something must change. Calling people you disagree with "moron liberals" won't change anything.

Something must change, and the US constitution would be a start. It needs to reflect the 21st century and modern society in general. Right now I think it's holding you lot back.

Bundy did. He kept his land, for now. Americans who talk about the government arent as fearful of the army, navy, marines, and air force, as they are of the EPA, BLM, and DHS. All armed federal branches with no link to the  military forces. When it come to them, the state may even back you up against them, as they are federal agencies, not state level. Having guns can and will protect you from them over reaching (we will see if they try in texas next). I doubt the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air force would shoot on american citizens, but armed federal agnecies I dont think would have a problem. They are the threat that americans fear, not the army. When you have even the IRS arming itself, and being used as a politacal hammar it may be wise to protect yourself, or atleast hold them off for the rest of america to see and decide what to do, like what happened in Bundy's case. Had he not had weapons, poeple, and the interent there to help him, he would be in jail right now, or dead.

-CraZed- said:
SlayerRondo said:
Aielyn said:
Clearly it can't be the fault of the NRA pushing so hard to deregulate the industry and get guns into the hands of more people, right?

That's why Australia's massacre rate has skyrocketed since the Port Arthur Massacre that triggered the massive gun buyback scheme and dramatic increase of gun control here that was implemented by a conservative government...

Oh, right. Since that gun control introduction, there has been a total of ONE gun massacre in Australia. In nearly 20 years. With that one happening more than 12 years ago. Here's the list of years in which gun massacres happened in Australia in recent history: 1984, 1987, 1987, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2002... and none since then.

Is it that we Australians are inherently less bloodthirsty than Americans? Or is it that gun control actually works, when it's applied across an entire country rather than having a different law in each state allowing those with intent to massacre being able to just cross state lines to get hold of the guns they'll use?

Yes, to hell with facts. What's important here is that those who like guns and want more of them out there are being unfairly slandered, while those evil liberals are getting off scot free when they should be attacked all-out for their abuse of 'facts'.

Are you seriously claiming that liberals do not often during gun control discussions, misrepresent the facts and make emotional arguments as opposed to reasoned ones?

Also gun deaths were already on the decline before the gun control laws were introduced in Australia in 1997.

Gun Deaths in Australia 1987 = 569

Gun Deaths in Australia 1997 = 333  Ten Year Deline = 236

Gun Deaths in Australia 2007 = 190  Ten Year Decline = 143

Australian Bereau of Statistics (ABS). Causes of Death publication series

Australia is just a more peacefull country than America is.

It is? Why is it then that violent crime is actually on the rise in Australia while it is on the decline here in the US?

Other than armed robbery Australia's rates are nearly double that of the US and have been for quite some time.

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/0/B/6/%7B0B619F44-B18B-47B4-9B59-F87BA643CBAA%7Dfacts11.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats/

lol those are assualts. Australia is a very nanny state. If you have a punch up over some girl cause you are drunk that is considered assault.  Direct attacks on strangers via assault is probably low for domestics.  Most those residential assaults would be domestic violence.