By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Santa Barbara Massacre: To Hell With Facts

SlayerRondo said:

Guns are specifically used for shooting, which can include killing, wounding or warning someone that you can defend yourself. And killing or wounding are not necessarily bad if you are defending yourself from an attacker. Guns are tools that can be used for bad or good depending on their use. Religion or free speech can also be used for good or bad depending on their use.

And yes your right that registering a gun does not infringe one's right to own a gun, it infringes one's right to privacy, just like asking people to register their religion does not violate their right to religion, but their right to privacy.

Registering a handgun has nothing to do with privacy..... you register a car and to vote. We should have the right to know if Psycho Elliot owned a gun or not.

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
SlayerRondo said:

Guns are specifically used for shooting, which can include killing, wounding or warning someone that you can defend yourself. And killing or wounding are not necessarily bad if you are defending yourself from an attacker. Guns are tools that can be used for bad or good depending on their use. Religion or free speech can also be used for good or bad depending on their use.

And yes your right that registering a gun does not infringe one's right to own a gun, it infringes one's right to privacy, just like asking people to register their religion does not violate their right to religion, but their right to privacy.

Registering a handgun has nothing to do with privacy..... you register a car and to vote. We should have the right to know if Psycho Elliot owned a gun or not.

I don't believe people should have to register their cars. With voting it is sadly unaviodable and therfore not applicable.

I also dont believe in violating the rights of the innocent to catch the guilty.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

SlayerRondo said:
Aielyn said:
Clearly it can't be the fault of the NRA pushing so hard to deregulate the industry and get guns into the hands of more people, right?

That's why Australia's massacre rate has skyrocketed since the Port Arthur Massacre that triggered the massive gun buyback scheme and dramatic increase of gun control here that was implemented by a conservative government...

Oh, right. Since that gun control introduction, there has been a total of ONE gun massacre in Australia. In nearly 20 years. With that one happening more than 12 years ago. Here's the list of years in which gun massacres happened in Australia in recent history: 1984, 1987, 1987, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2002... and none since then.

Is it that we Australians are inherently less bloodthirsty than Americans? Or is it that gun control actually works, when it's applied across an entire country rather than having a different law in each state allowing those with intent to massacre being able to just cross state lines to get hold of the guns they'll use?

Yes, to hell with facts. What's important here is that those who like guns and want more of them out there are being unfairly slandered, while those evil liberals are getting off scot free when they should be attacked all-out for their abuse of 'facts'.

Are you seriously claiming that liberals do not often during gun control discussions, misrepresent the facts and make emotional arguments as opposed to reasoned ones?

Also gun deaths were already on the decline before the gun control laws were introduced in Australia in 1997.

Gun Deaths in Australia 1987 = 569

Gun Deaths in Australia 1997 = 333  Ten Year Deline = 236

Gun Deaths in Australia 2007 = 190  Ten Year Decline = 143

Australian Bereau of Statistics (ABS). Causes of Death publication series

Australia is just a more peacefull country than America is.

Whilst that is true, it was due to a lower prevelance of guns to begin with.  And that was due to individual states tightening gun laws before the Federal Government did - you just proved Aielyn's point.

Every credible study ever undertaken demonstrates that all things being equal, less guns in society leads to less gun-related crime. The fact that criminals will break laws doesn't remove the need for effective gun control - thats about as sensible as labelling terrorism a crime 'because terrorists will still carry out acts of terror.'

Many of the same studies indicate that gun control needs to be an ongoing initiative and targeted against crime trends.  Banning handguns has consistently proven to be one of the most effective long-term reductors of gun-related death.

The NRA and its affiliates are a politically savvy group.  But pretending that their views on gun control have any grounding in scientific consensus, letalone scientific fact, is ridiculous.  Of all the Western nations, the pro-gun lobby is far and away the strongest in the USA.  It is no accident that gun-deaths per head of population are also sky high.  Argue your rights all you want.  Donate to the political cause all you want.  But don't pretend that an appalling lack of gun control doesn't play a major part, not just in the massacres we see like this one, but in the ridiculously enormous number of day to day (hour to hour) gun deaths in America.  At the end of the day, the science doesn't just fail to support that notion, it blatantly opposes it.

And because everyone loves a graph, here is that per-head-of-population I was talking about:

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
SlayerRondo said:
Aielyn said:
Clearly it can't be the fault of the NRA pushing so hard to deregulate the industry and get guns into the hands of more people, right?

That's why Australia's massacre rate has skyrocketed since the Port Arthur Massacre that triggered the massive gun buyback scheme and dramatic increase of gun control here that was implemented by a conservative government...

Oh, right. Since that gun control introduction, there has been a total of ONE gun massacre in Australia. In nearly 20 years. With that one happening more than 12 years ago. Here's the list of years in which gun massacres happened in Australia in recent history: 1984, 1987, 1987, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2002... and none since then.

Is it that we Australians are inherently less bloodthirsty than Americans? Or is it that gun control actually works, when it's applied across an entire country rather than having a different law in each state allowing those with intent to massacre being able to just cross state lines to get hold of the guns they'll use?

Yes, to hell with facts. What's important here is that those who like guns and want more of them out there are being unfairly slandered, while those evil liberals are getting off scot free when they should be attacked all-out for their abuse of 'facts'.

Are you seriously claiming that liberals do not often during gun control discussions, misrepresent the facts and make emotional arguments as opposed to reasoned ones?

Also gun deaths were already on the decline before the gun control laws were introduced in Australia in 1997.

Gun Deaths in Australia 1987 = 569

Gun Deaths in Australia 1997 = 333  Ten Year Deline = 236

Gun Deaths in Australia 2007 = 190  Ten Year Decline = 143

Australian Bereau of Statistics (ABS). Causes of Death publication series

Australia is just a more peacefull country than America is.

Whilst that is true, it was due to a lower prevelance of guns to begin with.  And that was due to individual states tightening gun laws before the Federal Government did - you just proved Aielyn's point.

Every credible study ever undertaken demonstrates that all things being equal, less guns in society leads to less gun-related crime. The fact that criminals will break laws doesn't remove the need for effective gun control - thats about as sensible as labelling terrorism a crime 'because terrorists will still carry out acts of terror.'

Many of the same studies indicate that gun control needs to be an ongoing initiative and targeted against crime trends.  Banning handguns has consistently proven to be one of the most effective long-term reductors of gun-related death.

The NRA and its affiliates are a politically savvy group.  But pretending that their views on gun control have any grounding in scientific consensus, letalone scientific fact, is ridiculous.  Of all the Western nations, the pro-gun lobby is far and away the strongest in the USA.  It is no accident that gun-deaths per head of population are also sky high.  Argue your rights all you want.  Donate to the political cause all you want.  But don't pretend that an appalling lack of gun control doesn't play a major part, not just in the massacres we see like this one, but in the ridiculously enormous number of day to day (hour to hour) gun deaths in America.  At the end of the day, the science doesn't just fail to support that notion, it blatantly opposes it.

And because everyone loves a graph, here is that per-head-of-population I was talking about:

And I would attribute the deaths not to gun availibility but other causes such as cultural differences, the war on drugs and damage caused to the lower classes by the governments interventionsit policies.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

SlayerRondo said:
novasonic said:

Owning a weapon that can kill people with the twitch of a finger is not a right, and it wouldn't lead to real rights being revoked. The fact that some people believe that is mind boggling. Unless you live in the sticks and need to fight off animals, there is simply no valid reason for you to need one.

Real rights are being taken from us constantly, and there may come a day when people will need guns to defend themselves not just against each other but against the government, and I wish to be prepared for that day or have my decendants be prepared.

You yourself indicated that there are assholes out their who I'm guessing are not going to care to much for the prohibition of guns and I would therefore like a gun to defend myself from them.

Also as indicated by this story would you also support the banning of knives as three people were killed by them? Hell your far more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident then die is a shooting massacre.

Have you also considered what the impact of 3D printers will be given the even in the earlt stages of the technology being introduced, they can print working guns? How will you stop people from possessing firearms when all they need to do is print one out. In that scenario where it is practically impossible to stop lunatics from possessing guns, I would much rather be armed to defend myself rather than hoping I dont find myself in trouble.

And you dont support banning guns, you support a gun monopoly in the hands of the state.

Thinking that there is some intrinsic human right to gun ownership is a believe borne out of very specific contemporary circumstances unique to the United States that lack even a tenuous link to the reality of modern life today.

Simplified, at a time when it took 30 seconds and complete concentration to load a single bullet into a gun, it was felt that citizens owning weapons was an effectivd deterrent against foreign invasion and Government overreach.

With or without massive gun ownership it is ridiculous to think anyone is going to invade America. Furthermore, the use of guns against the government is only conceivable for crackpots, in a country that otherwise has world-leading civil liberty protections. If such a situation did arise, overwhelming numbers would quickly result in government victory, simply with more death on both sides.

I have already dealt with the scientific fact that criminals being criminals (which would include illegal 3D printing of guns) in no way negates the benefits of strong gun control.

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:

And I would attribute the deaths not to gun availibility but other causes such as cultural differences, the war on drugs and damage caused to the lower classes by the governments interventionsit policies.

As I said, you're free to make that assessment.

Its just not supported by any credible science.

I just don't understand why even while all these pro gun ownership laws are passed I still have to hear people talk about how any second the government is coming to take everyone's weapons and "from my cold dead hands." Blah blah blah.

I don't think most people have a problem with realistic gun ownership, a rifle for hunting, a pistol for protection. It's when you get into this sort of gun worship, let me buy 20 assault rifles, gotta collect em' all mentality that you start to creep me out.

Like Jon Stewart said, the problem with only a good guy with a gun kills a bad guy with a gun is that WE DON'T KNOW YOU ARE A GOOD GUY. There are certainly many instances of former "good guys" snapping. The heat of passion and anger can also cause people to overreact.

Of course people freak out when a couple of young guys walk into a Fast food restaurant with assault rifles. You talk about your freedoms, how about MY freedom to walk out into public and not be surrounded by a bunch of guns??

Cause that's what you guys want right? The Wild West again? You couldn't pay me to go to Georgia after the "guns everywhere" law passed.

And that's the sad truth, most gun owners are reasonable and most people respect individual's right to bare arms REASONABLY but it's these small fringe groups of extremists and the NRA directing this idea that some huge constitutional battle is going on. It doesn't exist. The most important thing to know about the NRA is that their number one goal is to sale as many guns as possible and fear is the ultimate salesman. They shouldn't be allowed to control our lawmakers and the direction of our society.

badgenome said:
He also killed half of his victims with a knife. Who's up for some knife control?

Me. We also need more automobile control, starting with those evil BMWs,  as he killed at least one of his victims with his Beamer.

The irony in this, Sandy Hook and TDK movie shooting says a lot about this country, gun Laws and how the media handles cases involving whites compared to none whites.

novasonic said:
I know there is a group of decent human beings that properly use and care for guns, but the problem is that there are far too many assholes in the world.

It sucks, but ultimately, innocent people's lives are more important than your hobby.

And that group happens to be the majority of gun owners.

Think about this there are approximately twice as many guns in the United States than there are automobiles however both are attributed to approximately the same number of deaths (cars slightly ahead of guns).

Also guns aren't just a "hobby." They are used to hunt, to protect one's self against crime or violent harm, and yes to ensure that the populace is able to defend itself against invasion or violent government tyranny.

People kill people and they will likely always do so. People also rob people, beat people, oppress people, enslave people, etc. etc. etc. Being armed is the individual's insurance against being a victim of another human being.