By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516
Barozi said:

Terribly off-topic I know, but what makes you think that it's zoomed in?

The cloth texture resolutions are absolutely horrible and the 3D models are in desperate need of more polygons (especially if you look at the body of the guy in the back).

I assumed it could be exactly because of the low poly count in the scene and bad textures. But I actually found the game. It's The Saboteur (2009), so it's actually old. But this quote from Wikipedia explains the AA differences:

"The PlayStation 3 version has been noted for its anti-aliasing technique on a console that has traditionally had difficulty with AA. Using one of the PS3's Synergistic Processing Units to perform after-image edge detection and blurring, under optimal conditions it manages equivalent to 16xAA"

Using PS3 SPUs to AA was actually pretty common in later 7th gen games, but it looks like this one was one of the pioneers.

Around the Network

Man, maybe the machine should be called the Wiik U. No AA? That is worse than 720 p. I do plan to buy a Wii U for it's Virtual console, but very few actual Wii U games.

gamemaster4747 said:
Man, maybe the machine should be called the Wiik U. No AA? That is worse than 720 p. I do plan to buy a Wii U for it's Virtual console, but very few actual Wii U games.

If no AA would prevent you from buying the game, you most likely weren't gonna buy it in the first place.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:
gamemaster4747 said:

If no AA would prevent you from buying the game, you most likely weren't gonna buy it in the first place.

Except he freaking says he will buy it anyways?

I love how people went from "this game looks amazing" to "it looks like crap" after some site said it doesn't have AA.

If you told the vast majority of those people that it had AA they would buy it.

Around the Network

The vast majority of people who will buy this game wont know what AA is.

I thought Mario Kart 7 looked just fine. I'll just play it on the good ol' 28-incher from twelve feet away, like I've been doing for years.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

mutantsushi said:
_crazy_man_ said:
gamemaster4747 said:

Except he freaking says he will buy it anyways?

He never "freaking" said he would buy Mario Kart 8, just a Wii U.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I find it funny people comparing racing sims like GT5 and Forza to Mario Kart 8 to downplay the game. Sorry guys, racing sims are much less demanding on hardware than what we have here with Mario Kart 8, which is why those games are running with AA and Mario Kart 8 isn't. You are all comparing apples to oranges.

A much better comparison would be kart racing games to Mario Kart 8, and MK8 blows out of the water every last-gen karting game, running at full 720p with 60FPS to boot. Wii U is more powerful than a PS3/360, but it's not anywhere near comparable to a X1 or PS4, people expecting this game to run at 1080p were delusional, specially considering last gen karting games ran at 30FPS and 640p(Sonic and Sega All Stars racing for example, and that still looks worse than Mario Kart 8).

True Mario and Donkey Kong don't know what are AA and hi-res! 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!