By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516
Sharu said:
Putin said:

So it safe for me to say that mario kart is a corridor with transparent walls. Right?

Anyway, answer the question, how can you judge distance view in a city race?

Or what does geometry have to do with that, since MK doesn't have any gravitational real-time physics?

1. Right.
2. Its not me who put game screenshots as a proof in some arguing. I'm just continue playing his game.
3. Level geometry is very important if you want to judge power of a console, that's obvious. Or we all be just playing extra detailed cars on empty tracks with static boxes around and 2d trees. 
4. It seems you didn't play any Mario Kart, since all of them have some realtime physics. Its just arcade style, not realistic ones. And thats OK, since MK is a arcade racer and not a sym.

Are you mixing up real time physics with reactive animations?

Real time physics is when the necessary math required is calculated in real time to generated the effect needed to accurately proceed the cause (very few games actually use this). What MK8 uses are essentially reactive animations, where the game has pre-set animations that go off when certain parameters are met.

Not that it matters in the slightest, the end result is pretty much identical in MK8. The only difference is pre-set decisions are a lot simpler to run, so if your game doesn't have a large enough number of possible variants in the parameters, they are the best option to go with. It may use real time calculations for some things (most games do), but having using real time physics for everything would frankly be a waist of resources.

Soft body physics beat the shit out of everything though ;D Too bad they are so rarley used D:

Around the Network
Putin said:
Every racing game have some kind of real-time physics. That's a given. I meant gravity, otherwise they can't race upside down))

You didn't seen advertising? On the blue line the wheels turn into anti-gravity circles. Nintendo is in future, they can even make atni-gravity physics working in their game, thats a true nextgen!

That's not physics, keep dreaming about next-gen)))

Putin said:

Why should i dream about it? I'm playing it almost 1.5 years... ;)

_crazy_man_ said:
Viltgance said:
When did people turn into such graphics whores?? I feel sorry for you all who didn't grow up in the 90's

O there were graphic whores back then too.  

We just didn't all have internet access to argue you about it back (least early to mid 90's).

Word of mouth grahpic wars were still a thing back then.

Yes, even in the SNES and Genesis days people argued about graphics. If VGCHARTZ existed back then, there would be endless comparisons of games like mortal kombat, Battletoads and Double Dragon. 

And blast processing!!! LOL

Around the Network
Putin said:

MK8 isn't using a real time physics engine, but reactive animations are technically still physics :p

Physics themselves aren't next gen though. If we define "next gen" as " need lots of power" rather than what it actual means, then reliable soft body physics could be deserving of that title, but standard stuff doesn't.

vivster said:
TheSting said:
gladiator said:

i was looking at the full resolution pics from the digitail foundry article, and holy hell is the game ugly when your not moving fast, the image quality and jaggies are just sad.

Seriously? Im not seeing any problems. Im getting a WiiU in the future. Ill be getting this game. Oh yeaaaaaa

Have you looked at them at full screen? Maybe you'll notice something then. Let me help you

This is not magnified. This is 1:1 cropped from a 1080p screen.

And?Are you going to be playing the game while its not moving? Inform me why still shots matter? the 60 fps help it look beautiful in motion lol

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

kinisking said:

And?Are you going to be playing the game while its not moving? Inform me why still shots matter? the 60 fps help it look beautiful in motion lol

Yep. 60fps edge flickering. I can't wait.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
kinisking said:

Does the technicality of it matter? everyones seen the gameplay, they can decide for themselves if it looks beautiful. i think it does. as long as it looks beautiful idc what the stats and tech behind it are.

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

kinisking said:
vivster said:
kinisking said:

Does the technicality of it matter? everyones seen the gameplay, they can decide for themselves if it looks beautiful. i think it does. as long as it looks beautiful idc what the stats and tech behind it are.

Edge flickering is not a stat, it's hurting my eyes because it's visible and everywhere. That's why God invented AA. But Nintendo had to decide yet again that they're above God.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.