By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Sony win every generation by default?

padib said:
DonFerrari said:

padib said:

I'll give you a sneak peak of the thread, it will explain some of it.

You will notice that for N64 had 58% and cube 38% publisher ratio. If you look at the total software sold by Nintendo on those two platforms, it's low (130m and 80m respectively). The U is currently at 70% (that is high) and has sold 23.71m units. This means that when Nintendo software does poorly on a console, the whole console does poorly.

Nintendo

Home consoles (Nintendo)

Platform Platform sales Sales as publisher Ratio
NES 501.48 189.52 37.79%
SNES 379.06 97.28 25.66%
N64 225.16 129.95 57.71%
GC 208.61 79.47 38.10%
Wii 918.40 396.44 43.17%
WiiU   23.71 17.32 73.05%
Totals -> 2256.42 909.98 40.33%

So when a Nintendo console ends up selling badly, it's often when Nintendo is not able to sell their own games. If the U had niche games like the cube's experimental offerings, I'd understand your point. But the U is being offered every game (not just in name, but also in content quality) that makes Nintendo consoles sell. So, the result should be that SW sales will also be high.

N64 have more Nintendo games sold than Snes and even tough it done worst in general... Your whole point revolves around Wii doing good... But its average is close to the other less selling console... actually nintendo doing 40% shows that it depends 60% on third parties (less than PS and even less than Xbox) but still depends to do "great".

When you will see the numbers for all consoles, portables and home consoles for all manufacturers, you'll immediately see what I mean. It's not just a Wii fluke, there is a pattern for Nintendo's sales power that is unrivaled.

:) I agree that the N64 vs SNES is very surprising, for all the hate the 64 gets Nintendo sold more games on it than the SNES.

I do like all Ninty platforms (didn't care much about Wii tough), and like most of their IPs, but I don't think that without a fluke Nintendo can compete in the home console against Sony... but I at least hope that even if they sell 20-30M we can still get their nice games and Nintendo stay afloat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

LOL at anyone who thinks PS4 vs Wii U is even going to be a contest long term (it isn't even in the short term actually)

Sony is going to demolish the Wii U, it doesn't matter if it gets Mario Kart 8, 9, 10, and 11.

adriane23 said:
I think it's still possible for Nintendo to win a gen, but I don't think MS really knows how to stay in the game for the long run. I also don't think that SONY has won any of the past three gens by default. They worked really hard to stay on top.

They were very forward thinking with the Playstation, which ultimately sealed their dominance for gen 5.

They went to the DVD format and garnered a ridiculous amount of 3rd party support in gen 6.

They re-worked their message, spent a LOT of money, and flooded their user-base with exclusive after exclusive for gen 7 after being on the ropes for years. It also helped that Nintendo went too casual and MS kept robbing their customers for 8 years.

They made sure their message was clear and gamer-centric all the while making MS look like clueless fools for the start of Gen 8.

Exactly. The only reason why 360 was mostly on top over the PS3 in the first place was due to a combination of Sony's constant fuck-ups with the PS3, a lower price tag, & a year head start (A year & a half head start over in Europe).

Heck, Robbie Bach even admitted that 360 wouldn't be as big today were it not for Sony constantly screwing up with the PS3:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/347440/sonys-ps3-mistakes-helped-xbox-360-succeed-says-former-ms-games-boss/

Were it not for either of those things mentioned above, or people re-buying 360's due to RROD, or if not for Kinect helping get more sales for the Xbox 360, then the 360 would've been in 3rd place in worldwide sales WAY before 2013.

They used to have a 8+ million lead over PS3 in sales worldwide, but ever since the PS3 slim came out, with the lower price tags, more exclusive games, & the re-branding of the PS3, the gap shrunk down to 5+ million, & then down to 3+ million or 4+ million (I think that 360 was at 45+ million owners & PS3 was at 41+ million or 42+ million owners before Kinect & PS Move officially came out, if I'm correct).

Wii beat PS360. How is this not known? Everyone and their brother had a Wii.

As for PS winning, probably, but The global sales will likely be much less than their previous offerings. Only reason console gaming didn't stagnant much last gen was 'cause Nintendo introduced gamers to a new way to play, and Sony and MS was quick to imitate. I doubt this gen will sell 2/3 as much as last gen considering the rise of Steam and other cheaper and more efficient gaming alternatives.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

No.

I'm not talking to you.

I'm not social on this website.

Sorry for my english.

Bye.

I'm not talking to you. I'm not social on this website. Sorry.

Around the Network
ToraTiger said:
Wii beat PS360. How is this not known? Everyone and their brother had a Wii.

As for PS winning, probably, but The global sales will likely be much less than their previous offerings. Only reason console gaming didn't stagnant much last gen was 'cause Nintendo introduced gamers to a new way to play, and Sony and MS was quick to imitate. I doubt this gen will sell 2/3 as much as last gen considering the rise of Steam and other cheaper and more efficient gaming alternatives.

It didnt stagnate because after wii abandoned people half way though the generation, PS3 and 360 were still coming out with strong games... which btw were not kinect and move games.

Steam has always been cheap but its never been a major issue. The real reason this gen wont sell as many units is because most the people who bought a wii are not coming back.

Soundwave said:

Wii U is not even going to sniff PS4's LTD. N64 at least was competetive with the PSOne for a little while, Wii U is just another GameCube, Mario Kart will maybe let Nintendo enjoy PS4-size sales for a 2-4 week period and then sink back down, Smash Bros. will do even less, after that what else does Nintendo have? *crickets*

I like Nintendo games but objectively looking at their market chances here, they're not good. NSMBU and Wii Fit U should've done a lot more if there really was any momentum carried over from last gen. Fickle casuals come and go, that's the problem with relying on them. 

The still have their biggest title, an original HD Zelda game. Who knows what else might come down the pipeline? 

I'm not disagreeing that Sony played their cards right this generation, but the Wii U will do alright, possibly even hold it's own against the XB1 and be a 2nd place system this gen. 

Personally, I couldn't care less. I'm mostly a Steam/PC gamer anyway, console controls this gen are pretty lame, IMO.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com