By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - buy yoshi's new island!

Tagged games:

will you be buying yoshi's new island?

YES!!! 11 18.64%

no :/ 29 49.15%

im not sure?/i dont know? 11 18.64%

i already have yoshi's new island 8 13.56%

Total:59

Maybe when it drops to around $25ish

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

I thought it had lack luster level design, and the soundtrack was awful. But, it still disagree with it's metacritic score; I'd personally give it a 7 or 7.5.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

RolStoppable said:
I agree that the Metascore for this game is unjust. It makes people believe that it is a poor game which isn't true. Although it's definitely not great either. I scored it 7.7/10 with the music and boss fights being the low points of the game.

And yes, if you use the d-pad, you won't do a ground-pound by accident.

i can see how somebody wouldn't take to the music initially, but after playing through the entire game, how could you not appreciate what they have done with it? the weird squeaking that occurs did throw me off and i thought it was stupid at first, but it grew to be very very endearing to me. i love the squeaking now; it gives the game character. i like how they incorporated the squeaking in world 3-5 for example. its hilarious. and then the spin that world six takes on the music i think is awesome. didnt you like the world six music? i thought it was very fitting for the end of the game. 

the boss fights, i am assuming that you think they are too easy, and they really are. way too easy, but i have to say that they are creative. i will not take that away from them. also, the difficulty is a bit higher if you consider the fact that you cant get hit when you face them. so i can see it both ways with the boss fights.

leedlelee said:
I've played a fair amount of it with my nephew (I bought it for him; he's four)...
It's not bad at all...
I actually like it more than the original (I find the first one horrendously tedious)...
I never played Yoshi's Island DS...

the first one was a masterpiece. did you play it in 1995? there is nothing wrong with that game. 

yoshi's island for DS is basically just like the original, only ten times harder. literally.

kekrot said:
I have been playing Yoshis New Island the past few days myself, borrowed my brothers game, he bought it. It's definitely better than the ratings it has got. The graphics look horrible in still images but in motion it's beautiful. There's more than three songs too, at least 6-7 plus remixed versions. By remixed I mean very different. The main tune which is in many of the songs is good too, composed very nicely. Good use of 3D.

It's not all good though, the controls feel much heavier than the old ones for example. But overall it's a good game which deserves better scores in my opinion. It's also harder than I thought.

On world 4 so far.

world 4? wait until you get to 6, i really feel like it ties the entire experience together. that may sound dramatic, but i really felt like everything you have done in the game before that point has prepared you to take on that world. the game does a nice job challenging you in various ways throughout the game to prepare you for the onslaught that it world six and its secret level (i am of course speaking from the context of collecting everything in the levels).

also, i do recommend using the gyroscope. it makes the gameplay more, for lack of a better word, intense. i know people hate when motion gets involved with gaming, so if youre one of those, then youre more than likely not going to take to it. but if youre open minded with it, i think it could enhance the experience for you.

Around the Network

is this a better purchase versus kirby?

aikohualda said:
is this a better purchase versus kirby?

sigh... i cant say unfortunately. i actually have a hard time seeing it be better, but i guess i see that i like this game a bit more than most people. kirby is a great game, and there never has been a bad kirby game, but i think that this game is more likely to be a better purchase. i like games that are challenging, and i am sure that is something that yoshis new island definitely has over triple deluxe.

but i would like to hear from somebody who has played both extensively. 

RubberWhistleHistle said:
BasilZero said:
Will get it when it goes on sale ;)

how would it ever go on sale? you know how stubborn nintendo is with the prices of their games. i usually buy nintendo games the week they release and i have never seen a sale on them before. is a sale for yoshis new island feasible at all?

Yes, exactly. So if I want it when it goes on sale I'll never have to buy it. This game looks too dissapointing to me to even try.

BasilZero said:

how would it ever go on sale? you know how stubborn nintendo is with the prices of their games. i usually buy nintendo games the week they release and i have never seen a sale on them before. is a sale for yoshis new island feasible at all?

you kidding? NSMB2, Star fox 643d, mario and luigi, paper mario just to name a few all on sale. Where you been? hell with Yoshi i expect the price to drop in the summer

oniyide said:
BasilZero said:

you kidding? NSMB2, Star fox 643d, mario and luigi, paper mario just to name a few all on sale. Where you been? hell with Yoshi i expect the price to drop in the summer

i just have always bought nintendo games at full price and never checked to see what the prices went to later. i also work at a used video game store, so we never see new games. all our nintendo-made 3ds games are at least 30 dollars all the time and whenever i go to gamestop and check the nintendo section, the majority of all nintendo made games keep their price and i have never witnessed one of these 'sales'  before.