By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Speculation: What Happens When Apple Enters the Videogame Market?

An apple console would be cool.

I'd still by the PS4 and Xbox 720 instead, but it would be cool.

Around the Network

Gamng devices need games. And Apple has never been big into games. Not on the Apple II. Not on the Mac. And not on anything in between.

I know there are some things on the Ipod -- and I agree that Apple is most likely to enter the handheld market. But immediately upon the filing of those pattents, most analysts thought they would not win in that arena ... and for once I think the analysts are right.

Both Sony and Microsoft had some experience on the software side before entering the console wars. Does anyone have an Apple game for their 360? their PS3? their Wii?

And Sony -- even with their brand and their experience and their market position -- could not beat Nintendo in the handheld race. (The PSP came close two years ago ... then it has been lights out as the little folding two screened box has dominated). Ironcically, much of the PSP sales has been as a media device and Apple already has that.

Apple might put games on an iPhone or iPod .. but it will never be a games-first machine. It won't go down the Pippin Road or the NGame Avenue.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I don't think Apple is going to approach the video game market anywhere near so directly. Conversely to how the PS3, the Xbox 360, and the PSP are presented as gaming platforms with multimedia functionality, the next-gen Apple TV and iPod/iPhone will be presented as multimedia platforms with gaming functionality. This will allow Apple to encroach on the videogame market without the risk that more direct competition would entail. Apple could move units on their multimedia appeal to establish a userbase, then use that install base to tempt game developers.

This oblique approach to the market also means that Apple will be focusing on uber-casual games, such as those by Pop Cap or showing up on mobile phones.

An interesting thing to note is that a great number of DS games could easily be ported over to the iPod Touch/iPhone. This is another factor which might help Apple get that crucial developer support that they're short on.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I like their newish toy the "Irack". Or their new shoe the "Iran".

Aj_habfan said:
How about getting games for your damn Macs first?

LOL   you got a good point Aj_habfan,the relegated Macs always suffer from poor 3rd party support,it will so hard for Apple to create a 1rd party strong line,an option could be to buy studios in financial troubles.

Around the Network

Anyone remember the Apple pippin?

what if apple release an updated itouch that plays all ds games? nintendo gets 30 or so per device from apple with no costs and of course continues to get licensing fees from games sold...apple can sell some game roms to dl directly to device a la vc

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

What would happen?

Apple would rerelease Pong, but everything would be like totally shiny, the console would look like something pretty generic but it would have the "apple touch" and people will be like:

OMFGWTF its APPLE and WOW it RULES, its so TWOTHOUSANDANDEIGHT

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

@artofangels

fanboy rage??? I just expressed disbelief that such a long thought out article would have Sony listed 2nd in the "Sony's best case scenario" portion.

if anyone is acting like a fan boi , its The Source. He pretty much said there was NO way possible for the PSP2 to outsell the DS2. Really? Impossible? Nothing could happen to push PSP2 ahead? Not even BEST case?? Its hard to see stuff like that when YOU are looking at through fan boi glasses.

its like arguing who would win a 3 way battle royale between Wolverine, Hulk Hogan, and Tony Hawk - whats the freaking point? and how do you debate someone's daydream?

^ because Sony is already and still in the hole with both the PS3 and PSP. Both aren't that profitable, because of the PS3's price and use of being viewed as a cheap Blu-Ray player and the PSP being used more for multimedia and playing pirated (Nintendo ROMs? lol) games.