By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 failed in Japan. PS4 become maybe last place in hardware selling. But whats the reason?

duduspace1 said:
Ucell said:
duduspace1 said:
Ucell said:
duduspace1 said:
The truth as I see it is that all the consoles have continued from where their last Gen forebears ended, the PS3 ended very well while the Wii didn't as it got a lot of casuals onboard earlier on in its life and got tagged as a none core gamer system, a notion further helped by it being massively underpowered compared to its competition.

The Wii U is still being viewed as a kiddies/casuals console by a lot of gamers and it is not helped at all by the media, I speak from personal experience about this as I kept telling a friend at work about the Wii U (which he kept referring to as the Wii for over 6 months), then he came visiting one day and I put in 'Sonic All Star Racing transformed'' and the first sentence he uttered was 'That isn't a Wii' to which I replied, 'That is what I've been telling you for the past 6 months' , so many people have never tried the Wii U and saddle it with the Wii's legacy whereas the Wii U tries to be 'All things to all men'.

The PS4 is currently selling on hype and the legacy of the PS3 which finished the strongest in the last generation but not on its current game selection, even the expected Graphic improvements has been quite underwhelming. My younger brother for example currently regrets selling off his PS3 and a decent collection of last gen games (which includes Uncharted Drake's deception) to be an early PS4 adopter. The only game he likes so far in this current gen is NBA2k14

Sony should be careful not to get complacent with their game output or else what is going on in Japan might well spread worldwide. It seems the Japanese market is the least influenced by Hype. For them, it is all about the games unlike the 'Fanboys' of the Western world, no matter their orientation.

Speak for yourself (or your brother) when you're saying PS4 is selling on hype alone. I have a PS4, and I didn't buy it on hype alone. I bought it for Infamous: Second Son which exceeded my expectations, both graphically and gameplay wise.

I could very well say that Wii U sold on hype alone in its first two months, when it only had a minigame-like title and NSMB U, an HD version of a 3DS game.

And you would have been right if the Wii U didn't bring a massive leap over the Wii with HD and different game play possibilities in the Control pad.

Would you rate Infamous over Uncharted for example ?

Its not Sony's fault that they jumped to HD 8 years ago with the PS3. PS4 is a huge jump over a PS3, granted you have a 1080p TV to view it on. As for that tablet controller, I prefer any DualShock over it. That tablet is so large and uninviting and doesn't even have a good touchscreen.

I wouldn't rate Infamous over Uncharted, but I do not need to do so. Just because its not better than Uncharted doesn't mean its great. Besides fact is I didn't expect it to come anywhere close to Uncharted. But it actually did, so then trhats just a plus.

Now tell me, would you rate NSMB over 3D World or MK? See how it goes both ways.

I'd agree my eyesight isn't so good  (even though I don't use spectacles) or maybe its just that I can't appreciate the finer nuances of graphic improvement but I wasn't much impressed with the graphics in KzSF (at least not enough to recommend my brother chucking away the PS3 and shell out £350 for the PS4 although he was quite happy to do so at the time even though he regrets it now and has to play the waiting game with Sony's release schedule). 

I also haven't been disappointed by any of Nintendo's 1st party releases, the graphical move from SD to HD alone makes them worth it on my 50" tv and they at the very least match their predecessors in terms of game play.

I like the DS4 by the way, small but significant improvement over DS3 with the touchpad but the Wii U gamepad makes so much possible and I absolutely love it although I agree with you that Nintendo could have made it better.

And just so you know, I'm not anti-Sony although I have a soft spot for Nintendo, I'm only trying to point out why the PS4 hasn't come bursting out of the blocks in Japan. Their culture and way of judging things is different from the Western view (which is often over-influenced by the media in my opinion).

When there are games on the PS4 in Japan that make the move from the PS3 worthwhile, the PS4 will witness a change in fortunes in Japan but they'd better make sure the Wii U hasn't swept all potential buyers away before then as the 3DS did to the Vita.

Yeah it will but I don't care much about PS4's performance in Japan as GT and MGS are the only Japanese game series which I like.

Around the Network
PigPen said:
Porcupeth said:
PigPen said:
He said that the PS4 failed, and as of now it did with numbers coming out looking the way they do. He never said the PS4 won't sell. Hell, the Wii U dropped after launch too but it's still selling. He did say he think the PS4 will come in last. I going to give that to the XOne, but PS4 will not outsell the Wii U in Japan. Maybe a little to late.

I'm sure it's going to be PS4 > Wii U > XB1 when all is said and done, and you can quote me on that when this gen ends.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  Wii U > PS4 > XOne

It's my prediction and I stand by it.

Interesting use of English in the OP

Anyway, until the PS4 gets some major Japanese exclusives it would be kind of silly to call it a failure. It's certainly not doing very well right now, but considering its library over there that's about as surprising as finding out the sun is hot.

Porcupeth said:
PigPen said:
Porcupeth said:
PigPen said:
He said that the PS4 failed, and as of now it did with numbers coming out looking the way they do. He never said the PS4 won't sell. Hell, the Wii U dropped after launch too but it's still selling. He did say he think the PS4 will come in last. I going to give that to the XOne, but PS4 will not outsell the Wii U in Japan. Maybe a little to late.

I'm sure it's going to be PS4 > Wii U > XB1 when all is said and done, and you can quote me on that when this gen ends.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  Wii U > PS4 > XOne

It's my prediction and I stand by it.

Fair enough, and I stand by mines.

has it failed? has it maybe in last place?

not really sure what the point is but i guess sony is japanese so will want to sell in its home market,give it some time it is the bestselling 8th gen home console world wide comfortably beating the Xbone so it is not all bad it can still resort to price cuts and different SKU's to bump up sales in its home market if the japanese centric games don't help when they arrive

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Around the Network

PS4 is enjoying record breaking all time sales and you have to make a thread about its Japan sales.

Why?

Does Japan's sales even matter?

Drakrami said:
PS4 is enjoying record breaking all time sales and you have to make a thread about its Japan sales.

Why?

Because some people are bitter about sales. It's saddening really. Even hoping the company will go under soon when that pretty much has no chance of happening. 

Home consoles are dying in japan and PS4 hasn't got any interesting game for japanese people. Wait until Kingdom hearts, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Persona and all these sagas and you'll see.

Drakrami said:

Why?

Nope they don't.

Threads like this are mainly used as a deterrent to the Wii U's horrible sales in 18 months on the market..

Saying it "failed in Japan" is a bit early though, it has been a couple of months, let's wait and see what happens with price cuts, various bundles and actual software primed for the Japanese market. The Wii U and PS4 are not on equal ground just yet.
That said; I do expect the PS4 to eventually catch and overtake the Wii U but I expect both to do quite poorly and I've said all along that no home console will pass the 10 million in Japan this gen.
There won't be a grand victory for either in this region; the small amount of lifetime sales overall will ensure that a huge lead won't be technically feasible.