By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - (Spoiler) Walking Dead (show) anyone a fan?, I just watched the first season...

I love the comics. The show is hit or miss. The first season is the best though, in my opinion, so try a couple episodes of season 2 to see if you like it. It's slow, but picks up. Season 3 was pretty horrible. The shows representation of the Governor is way off. Season 4 is better though. You probably won't ever like it though to be honest. And like other people have said, the show is not made by people from Breaking Bad. Same network, different people. And casting directors are not the people who make the show. Breaking Bad equals great freakin' show. My personal favorite. Walking Dead equals awesome comics with great first season under Darabont, and meh afterwards.

Post script. Vince Gilligan is the man.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
naruball said:
I don't get how it managed to be so succeessful.

Zombies.  Without them this would have been cancelled long ago, I don't know a single person who watches it for another reason.

I watch the show for everything but the zombies.

brendude13 said:
KylieDog said:
naruball said:
I don't get how it managed to be so succeessful.

Zombies.  Without them this would have been cancelled long ago, I don't know a single person who watches it for another reason.

I watch the show for everything but the zombies.

I agree.  I mean, the zombies are the show's theme, but I doubt many fans of the series continue to watch for the zombies, lol.

OT:  To the OP, I would say just stop watching.  You're the first person I've ever heard criticize the season 1 finale and it sounds like the show just isn't for you.  It's funny how so many people claim that the show has weak writing.  There are so many subtle things in the writing and symbolism that people don't pick up on.

it gets really good when you get to near the end of season 2

KylieDog said:
archbrix said:

It's funny how so many people claim that the show has weak writing.  There are so many subtle things in the writing and symbolism that people don't pick up on.

It because 90% of the problems are a direct result of idiot plot

Some (but far from all) examples:

Black guy dropping handcuff key in season 1.
Rick towards Shane in season 2.
Hershel and family season 2.
Lori hitting the only zombie within miles with her car in season 2.
Andrea and the Governer.
Entire group the Governer meets with in season 4.
Dale spending all day watching for zombies, gets bit by a single zombie he didn't see somehow in an open field.
Not bothering to just have someone watch to see who is feeding zombies in the prison.
The idiot little girl wanting zombies as friends.

Sure, the show is guilty of that.  Something like T-Dog dropping the keys could easily happen, but the characters can be a bit foolish:

One of the most unbelievable things to me was that we were supposed to assume that Lori was entirely consumed by that single zombie; bones, skull and all.  That was really stupid, IMO.

But what I like are the subtle things, like the chess piece with the eyepatch getting stepped on when the Governor falls, or, in the most recent finale, where Rick is showing Carl and Michonne how to trap animals for food at the beginning, only to have him and his group follow the same fate at the end by the Terminus people (who are cannibals).

I mean, the entire premise of the show is silly if you really want to get into it, but it strives to be more engaging than a mindless zombie flick - even if the characters are idiots sometimes.