By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Lacks Racial Diversity Says Reviewer (Update)

I am amazed this isn't a parody piece. Something has got to give. Please keep this sort of drivel out of the gaming industry.

Around the Network

Metal Mario is grey, like Michael Jackson, so what's the problem ?
Besides, what the franchise should evolve into in the future is a "Super Kart Brothers" like Super Smash Brothers, characters/items/tracks from the whole Nintendo universe.

badgenome said:
Screamapillar said:

So what does he expect Nintendo to do, turn certain long-standing characters black or hispanic, just so no one complains that there are too many white characters?

Marvel does it!

Blacktain Falcon!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

badgenome said:
Screamapillar said:

So what does he expect Nintendo to do, turn certain long-standing characters black or hispanic, just so no one complains that there are too many white characters?

Marvel does it!

Thats not Marvel, thats Fox who has the rights to the Fantastic 4. None of the series Marvel holds the rights too have been changed from thier origins.

Shy Guy is black behind his white mask. Uh uh...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Wow... i am speechless. Its none worse than the RE5 zombies argument...

Badat said:

Thats not Marvel, thats Fox who has the rights to the Fantastic 4. None of the series Marvel holds the rights too have been changed from thier origins.

I don't follow comics, but there always seems to be a big story that they've replaced Spiderman with a black Hispanic kid or turned Shatterstar gay or whatever. I don't know how they do it so maybe they're not reconning it exactly, but it amounts to the same thing.

I thought that Lakitu was Asian-American and Shy Guy was black?

In all seriousness, I can sort of (barely) see his point. This is a game meant for people of all sorts to play, and if you happen to be black, none of the characters other than the generic Mii really resemble you.

The problem is, how exactly do you fit a new character in the Mario universe to fill an existing role? The only notable example I can think of is Waluigi, and I doubt that anybody would be satisfied being represented by a Waluigi-calibre character.

The best theoretical solution would, ironically, be to have less human drivers. If there weren't any babies for example, and instead you had Nabbit, Dry Bones, and whoever else, you'd be less likely too feel left out on racial terms. Basically, by removing the game from the issue via dehumanization, you can solve the problem of many humans not being represented.

I doubt this will end complaints about racial diverwsity in Mario Kart, of course. Those are rarely based on reality. But it would kill what little legitimacy they have.

Conclusion: Nintendo should have replaced the Baby characters with Nabbit, Dry Bones, Boo, the Queen Bee, and Birdo to satisfy the hatedom.

Love and tolerate.

Did I just ready this? Half the MK cast aren't even human...

Nem said:

Wow... i am speechless. Its none worse than the RE5 zombies argument...

The difference being, a white guy slaughtering hordes of black people in tribal outfits, infected or not, is a far more potentially offensive thing than the roster of a kart racer where a third of the racers are turtles.

Love and tolerate.