By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii u will have sold 10 million by the end of this year

Nintendo doesn't think so, so NO.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

At this current rate of 30,000 a week, the Wii U will be sitting at 6,250,000 units sold by the time Mario Kart 8 releases. From that point on, the Wii U would need to average 130,000 a week to make 10 million by the end of the year. I just don't see that happening unfortunately.

I don't think the numbers are adjusted yet, but Nintendo mentioned 6.1 million shipped. So Wii-U is probably still below 6 million sold, and the weekly numbers might be to high (even at only 30k). So 10 million by the end of the year is indeed very unlikely.

nintendo hates the wii u. releasing the biggest game (smash bros) on 3ds which doesnt need the sales before the wii-u which f-ing needs it. then add in the fact that nintendo doesn't even see themselves selling that much. i love ninty but...i say nay.

Thanks jlmurph!

I think its definitely possible. especially with how popular Mario kart 8 is looking, and hopefully they will be able to show some very good upcoming things at E3 which will drive holiday sales.
I think 10million by EOY is doable.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

BreedinBull said:
nintendo hates the wii u. releasing the biggest game (smash bros) on 3ds which doesnt need the sales before the wii-u which f-ing needs it. then add in the fact that nintendo doesn't even see themselves selling that much. i love ninty but...i say nay.

They dont hate the WiiU, there is no evidence for that.

Releasing on 3DS first is a smart idea i think, more people own 3DS so more will buy it for that. And sales for 3DS version will drop by the time the WiiU version comes out, and the people who purchased it for 3DS could want to switch to a more concrete & comprehensive version of the game for the home console.

And if sales of the WiiU are good, it will drive the 3DS sales of the game back up again due to the reinvigorated online community.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network

According to Nintendo and common sense, no way.

Soundwave said:
Has there even been one generously optimistic Wii U sales prediction that's ever come true on this site?

They're not hitting 10 million this year as someone else pointed out in this thread that would mean jumping from a 30k/week baseline now to 130k/week for the rest of the year from MK8's release ... not gonna happen guys, even if MK8 boosts the baseline it won't go that high.

They will hit 10 million by end of March 2015 though, I do buy that.

Nintendo doesn't even expect that ^^

Not much of a prediction. Wii U should be doing 10 million in a single year, not 10 million LTD after more than 2 years.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Cleary397 said:
BreedinBull said:

They dont hate the WiiU, there is no evidence for that.

Releasing on 3DS first is a smart idea i think, more people own 3DS so more will buy it for that. And sales for 3DS version will drop by the time the WiiU version comes out, and the people who purchased it for 3DS could want to switch to a more concrete & comprehensive version of the game for the home console.

And if sales of the WiiU are good, it will drive the 3DS sales of the game back up again due to the reinvigorated online community.

It's this sort of thinking that has the wii-u knocking on deaths door now.

Thanks jlmurph!

bubblegamer said:
According to Nintendo and common sense, no way.

according to Nintendo they gave a lowball figure and expect it can sell much more than that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.