By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
Burek said:
I was a faithful X360 owner. It was my first console ever, and in 5 years amassed over 150.000 Gamerscore.
When they announced DRM policies, I was upset like most, but I would have accepted that deal in the end. (Because I've already decided to go digital download full-on.
But when they've announced a mandatory Kinect, that was the dealbreaker I could not swallow. I am one of those 24 million Kinect buyers, it was fun for a short time, but ended up in storage quickly, as I had no practical use for it. Even my young daughters got bored with it in a month or so.
That's why there was no chance I would have paid extra just to have half my purchase remain boxed in. And it's not even the price for me, it's the principle of things.
So as soon as E3 was over, I've preordered PS4 and never looked back. I've abandoned my gamerscore, sold off my X360 and over 100 games for chump change, and now I'm enjoying my new console, I am very pleased, and believe that very soon Microsoft console will just be a distant memory.
I even sold my Nokia WP which I bought while achievement whoring, and purchased an Android phone (also Sony, but that is a coincidence, it was simply a best-buy at the time).
Now I'm completely Microsoft-free, and I've never been happier. I will probably never buy another Microsoft product, and actually I won't be missing out on much.

That's a sad story in many ways.

Around the Network

Trust me, the story might be sad, but I am a much happier man now.
Their XOne fiasco expanded my horizons, I was so committed to X360 that I've neglected other options. But when I saw what else is on offer, I realized that I have many opportunities I've never considered.

I purposely just wrote my story, instead of offering up an opinion or speculations about the original question, because probably all answers are correct depending on individuals answering.
There might be others like me, and in my case it was not a simple minus 1 sale for XOne, but also a plus 1 for PS4, so basically Microsoft's mistake doubled the damage to their marketshare.

Burek said:
Their XOne fiasco expanded my horizons, I was so committed to X360 that I've neglected other options. But when I saw what else is on offer, I realized that I have many opportunities I've never considered.

I purposely just wrote my story, instead of offering up an opinion or speculations about the original question, because probably all answers are correct depending on individuals answering.
There might be others like me, and in my case it was not a simple minus 1 sale for XOne, but also a plus 1 for PS4, so basically Microsoft's mistake doubled the damage to their marketshare.

May I ask how old you are? Really, it sounds as if you were very naive in your life. And you still seem to be as you still have a "this or nothing"-mentality, just with a Sony-tone instead of MS.

Xbone didnt need the Kinect and the DRM didnt help either.

Definitely the DRM fiasco. It might seem like the forced Kinect is worse right now, but if they'd gone through with that DRM bullshit, the thing would have flopped worse than the Wii U, Vita, Dreamcast, or even the Virtual Boy. After investing a billion dollars in games, for a flop like that to happen, Microsoft would have left the video game business. They saw that it was a mistake and fixed it in time, but some damage was still done. The forced Kinect definitely sucks, but it's not that big a deal, just as a forced Gamepad isn't that big a deal for Wii U. Once the Kinect and Gamepad start being utilized better, no one will care. DRM as a concept isn't even bad. If there's physical retail management, then there should be digital retail management. The way Microsoft choose to execute that, however, was draconian and tyrannical, and the fact that they even considered it did irreparable damage to the brand.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Burek said:

May I ask how old you are? Really, it sounds as if you were very naive in your life. And you still seem to be as you still have a "this or nothing"-mentality, just with a Sony-tone instead of MS.

I am sorry, but I don't understand your inferrence. What does my age have to do with anything? I am quite old, have a job and a family and don't have much free time. Games are sort of an outlet for stress. So going with only one console is not my being close-minded, but practical. I don't have time or shelf space to use 2 or 3 of the same product. 

X360 for me offered a better experience, but XOne for me offers worse experience along with features and hardware I don't want or need. Because for 60-90 minutes of fun and relaxation before sleep, I don't need a Kinect. As I said, it is just my case.

A case in which $100 makes no difference, I spend that much monthly on completely unnecessary and random products.

A case in which DRM is irrelevant because I don't own a single disc-based product (whether film, music or games) except for some Teletubbies and Peppa Pig cartoons.

A case where I feel that forcing something upon me is unacceptable, regardless of the price.

And a case in which I personally feel that every MS product has a better alternative.

Honestly, when I wrote my first post, it was also because I felt that offering my personal story can be used as just one of the scenarios in question, and I really never expected that someone might take offense and start insulting me because if it. If anything, I would expect to catch grief if I started offering random opinions I have no clue about.

If you still have the need and urge to judge me, please fell free to do so, I will not be offended, it's an internet forum after all, but understand that I will not respond or converse with you anymore.

The DRM fiasco killed the initial launch hype and magnified subsequent grievances against the system(graphic power, price, connect bundle).

For me the killer was when the games launching on both systems kept having lower resolution on XBone. It would nag the shit out of me to pay $500 and know I'm playing an inferior version of the game.

Yes the X1 had multiple problems such as Kinect, DRM, weaker than PS4 and the high price. Its launch was terrible and even people who didn't follow gaming news knew how bad the X1 was.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Burek said:
walsufnir said:
Burek said:

I am sorry, but I don't understand your inferrence. What does my age have to do with anything? I am quite old, have a job and a family and don't have much free time. Games are sort of an outlet for stress. So going with only one console is not my being close-minded, but practical. I don't have time or shelf space to use 2 or 3 of the same product. 

X360 for me offered a better experience, but XOne for me offers worse experience along with features and hardware I don't want or need. Because for 60-90 minutes of fun and relaxation before sleep, I don't need a Kinect. As I said, it is just my case.

A case in which $100 makes no difference, I spend that much monthly on completely unnecessary and random products.

A case in which DRM is irrelevant because I don't own a single disc-based product (whether film, music or games) except for some Teletubbies and Peppa Pig cartoons.

A case where I feel that forcing something upon me is unacceptable, regardless of the price.

And a case in which I personally feel that every MS product has a better alternative.

Honestly, when I wrote my first post, it was also because I felt that offering my personal story can be used as just one of the scenarios in question, and I really never expected that someone might take offense and start insulting me because if it. If anything, I would expect to catch grief if I started offering random opinions I have no clue about.

If you still have the need and urge to judge me, please fell free to do so, I will not be offended, it's an internet forum after all, but understand that I will not respond or converse with you anymore.

Seeing people that change their mind in such a drastic way (you said you won't never ever buy a product from MS anymore?!) often happens that these people are quite young, that's why I was asking. I am not judging you - I couldn't care less what you decide to buy. It is the general attitude of making the world in two halfs - black and white.

But considering you don't have much free time it's surprising you managed to get 150k gamerscore.

PigPen said:
whatever said:
PigPen said:
It's not over till the fat lady sings. All the choices isn't damaging since Microsoft got rid of the DRM. The extra 100 for kinect isn't that bad. Not doing 1080p is the bigger mistake.

I don't think the power difference is significant enough on it's own to cause the PS4 to outsell the XB1.  I think having that power difference on top of everything else just adds to the problems for MS.

I disagree with that.

Power has very little to do with the current situation. If so the Xbox (1) would have outsold the PS2 and the PS3 would have dominated the 360.