By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
PigPen said:
It's not over till the fat lady sings. All the choices isn't damaging since Microsoft got rid of the DRM. The extra 100 for kinect isn't that bad. Not doing 1080p is the bigger mistake.

I don't think the power difference is significant enough on it's own to cause the PS4 to outsell the XB1.  I think having that power difference on top of everything else just adds to the problems for MS.

Around the Network

Microsoft's biggest mistake was revealing the Xbox One before Sony revealed the PS4. Sony pulled the wool over most people's eyes and made Microsoft out to be the bad guy; in fact Sony was going to do the same things but saw an opportunity and changed course. The rest is gaming history.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

A combination of both.. The drm was removed before the system cams into stores. This means that most people who knew about it were the preorder and early adopters. Those who dont blindy go out and buy a system. This effect is vaning fast now since the genereal public is starting to be the purchasers. Soon it will be just like old times where people choose a system and contrary to most beliefs exclusives isnt the deciding factor. It is price. Look at the ps2 and wii. These were both the budget systems and the ps2 didnt have many exclusives. Now the wii had lots of exclusives but most people i know still arent aware that mario is only available on nintendo platforms. They bought it for wii sports and then just picked up mario because it fits the casual style and is a known brand. Even the 360 nearly equalled to the ps3 and gained a vast marketshare compared to the previous generation. OG xbox and gamecube had a stronger exclusive lineup than the ps2 but they were more expensive. = ps2 wins. Ps3 had a far superior library but lost market share due to cheaper competition. I know we like to brush away any statements made saying gaming is for children by referring to studied that say the average gamer is in his 30,s but if you go down to a videogame store what kinds of people do you honestly see there? Majority is kids who doesnt have a lot of disposable income and so they just need the cheapest system that can play cod or gta. All those 60 year olds dragging the average up is playing facebook "games" like farmville or angry birds/flappy bird/flappy donkey/jumping piggy/etc... And there is a lot of them. Hence the age survey.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I'd say the price difference is more important now, as I feel like the average joe woulda have forgotten about the drm thing by now. No real proof of that of course, just basing that on how a forum goer like me doesn't think about the drm stuff at all anymore when looking at the Xbox One nowadays.

EDIT: And yeah the PS4 was gonna win regardless.

That's probably because its gone.  That's like me saying I don't think about the boomerang controller when I look at the PS3.  

(leaked specs from xbox 720 made sony upgrade ps4 specs.?)

but i think is not wrong with xbo. it is going better than 360. the difference is ps4 is way better than ps3.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I'd say the price difference is more important now, as I feel like the average joe woulda have forgotten about the drm thing by now. No real proof of that of course, just basing that on how a forum goer like me doesn't think about the drm stuff at all anymore when looking at the Xbox One nowadays.

EDIT: And yeah the PS4 was gonna win regardless.

That's probably because its gone.  That's like me saying I don't think about the boomerang controller when I look at the PS3.  

It can still matter.  Basically MS at first told people that we know you don't like it, but that's how it is.  Sometimes that can cause people to want to punish a company so they don't even think of making that mistake again.

Last gen Sony managed to outsell Xbox despite a year's head start, a $200 price disadvantage, and a difficult to program for console with all the problems that caused as well as having virtually no big online component at the start (or until 08 really). They just needed to avoid one or all of those and they would have won. The fact that they turned price into an advantage and got the whole DRM thing to take advantage of just boosted them into the stratosphere.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

whatever said:
PigPen said:
It's not over till the fat lady sings. All the choices isn't damaging since Microsoft got rid of the DRM. The extra 100 for kinect isn't that bad. Not doing 1080p is the bigger mistake.

I don't think the power difference is significant enough on it's own to cause the PS4 to outsell the XB1.  I think having that power difference on top of everything else just adds to the problems for MS.

I disagree with that.

Zadainie said:

The main issue was the DRM.No gamer is ready to go fully digital. Gamers prefer a physical copy of a game.

Edit

Also the Xbox One is a good console. But imo it would be much better without kinect.

I agree that the xb1 is a good console but how can taking something so entwined in the console make it b tter? Also you don't have to use it meaning using your logic its the same either way

It was DRM to start, but now it's probably just price. It wasn't going to win WW anyways but the main reason it's a battle in the US and UK is because of the price difference.