By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

nitekrawler1285 said:

This response sounds sooooo much better than their first PR statement.

Can someone explain to me what's suppossed to be wrong with the first statement. I've seen a lot of people complaining about it elsewhere but i'm not seeing what the issue with it is.  

Around the Network

Be right back, need to start a campaign for JK Rowling to retcon the entire saga, Harry and Ron FTW!

Thats so much whining without even understanding whats going on.... people these days....

Short version.

Gays are not more important than any other kind of customer. By adding gay marriage you theoretically exclude more customers than you do when including gay marriage. In some countries e.g Russia etc. gay marriage is illegal. It does not matter if its okay for you because YOU are completely unimportant. Why would any kind of company risk losing so many potential customers?

In Sweden Dead Or Alive 3DS is illegal because Kasumi is 17 years old. This would happen with Tomodachi Life in alot of countries.

You also cant go and say "then make a gay marriage version for countries like the USA and a "normal" version of the game for Russia etc." because then they would also need to make a Gay Metroid game with a black, asian or whatever Samus aran etc. Same with Mario. Homosexual Zelda and Mario games with different ethnicities. And in some arab countries they would have to implement child+adult marriage because you can marry children in those countries. Also Harem because some countries allow polygamy etc. Also I demand a burqu for females in that game! You cant please everyone.....

Its just stupid. Nintendo chose the right thing to do for that kind of game.

Either buy the game or not or make your own game but stop complaining about silly things like these....

Miguel_Zorro said:
Boutros said:
aikohualda said:
Boutros said:
It should have been an option from the start. That's the problem. But Nintendo is condoning Japan's stance on gay marriage and that's what shameful.

its a shame nintendo stay away from social issues... especially they have a big voice in family

Please. It shouldn't even be a "social issue".

I am personally supportive of same sex marriage and gay rights in general.

But I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment.  Being Canadian like you , gay marriage has been legal for a while hear now - long enough that it's normal here now and we don't really notice things like this the way Americans do.  That said, it hasn't been been that long in the grand scheme of things.  Even in the 90s, attitudes were much different here than they are today.

Which brings me to the American attitude.  It was only within the last 5 years that a majority of Americans began to support same sex marriage.  Even Obama wasn't willing to endorse it until Biden basically forced him to in 2012.  Now that Americans support it, their actions have become very interesting.  It seems that it's become almost a "fad" to actively seek out every slight against LGBT people and swarm attack the perpetrator.  In many cases, it comes across as bullying.

In the Western world, The USA was basically the last ones to the party as far as equal rights for gays are concerned.  But now that they are, it's apparently time for Americans to impose their values on the non-Western countries who haven't caught up yet - whether it's the Japanese, the Russians, or whoever.  It's all a little amusing given how recently Americans have come to these attitudes. Congrats Americans, you caught up to the rest of us.  Now it's time to beat on the stragglers, I guess.  Apparently finishing a race behind 16 other runners gives you the right to talk sh*t about the others who are still moving along the course.  Except that the USA hasn't actually finished the race yet, since same sex marriage is still banned in most states.

This is also all very typical of the solve-world-issues-by-liking-something-on-facebook attitude that has become embarassingly common.

Homosexuality is illegal in 38 African countries.  In some of those countries, you can get life in prison just for being gay.  If you don't get killed.  But instead of seeing people get mobilized to stop that, I see stories about some pasta that we're supposed to boycott because they don't have gays in their commercials, or some Latvian vodka that we shouldn't drink because people think it's Russian, and therefore drinking it will lead to gay persecution.

Not being able to be  agay couple is Tomodatchi life, whatever that means, has gone viral.  If that gets more attention than the "Kill the Gays" bill that Uganda almost passed this year, we need to look at our priorities.

But all of this is true about every social, polical and economical trends around the world, not just gay rights.

Look at the media attention that can surround a single abduction of an american child when hundreds of teenagers were recently abducted in Nigeria and the news is struggling to get media traction outside of that country. It's happened nearly one month ago and international response has been super slow and now it's mostly too late to react.

So you're raising far bigger issues with our modern society than just gay rights being worst elsewhere lol The truth is, and Michael Jackson said it best with They Don't Care About Us, our society is ignoring many issues that doesn't directly concerns it.

Ka-pi96 said:
GoldenGamer said:

It is not even about exceptance. THis is just a game and I support Nintendo for not allowing it. Let's be honest, it is not natural and kids are a big part of Nintendo's fan base as well as families (man + woman + child) so it is also a business decision from the start. Everything can not cater to every typr of persoon anyway.

Let's be honest no kind of marriage is 'natural' but both same and opposite sex relationships are. And families are a big part of Nintendo's fan base (man + woman + child OR man + man + child OR woman + woman + child).

Same-sex SEX leads to more diseases and a higher chance of said diseases....fact.

Around the Network

I'm sure a few eyes will roll at my generic "As a gay man..." statement, but as a gay man...
I love this new statement...
I knew from the beginning less "conventional" relationships would be left out but I was still eager to play the game...
It's cool to see that Nintendo is aware of the diversity of its fanbase (and make no mistake: Nintendo has a very big gay fanbase)...
What disappoints me is the reaction their statement is getting on Facebook...
Naturally I don't like the homophobia, but the attempts to trivialize the notion of wanting (let alone including) the ability to create a virtual avatar free to pursue less than "conventional" romance are no better...

Have a nice day...

PigPen said:

A person should never teach their kids to hate gays.  A parent can go through lengths to mold their child.  Sometimes they can go to far where a child can see them as enemies.  And it's not that they don't love their child cause they do, they just want that child to be the best of them.  They can talk to you like I'm talking to you, so there is no hate.  I'm going to stop now cause I'm shouldn't be talking like I am a parent.  I just trying to show you it's not a war against gays and straights with most people.

Thanks for responding in a kind manner. I really appreciate it.  I don't think it should be a war either.  It's just hard to keep a cool head when many of the comments here make it seem as if gay people have been angry, bullying or too self important about it.  Nintendo seems to understand they are just people who wanted to be included in the fun.  I hope some of the more dismissive and derisive comment makers in this thread can follow suit.  

pokymon90 said:

Same-sex SEX leads to more diseases and a higher chance of said diseases....fact.

If true, its only because they don't worry about getting the partner pregnant and therefore are less common to practice safe sex. It has nothing to do with the actual act of same-sex sex. That's just dumb.

"The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that 'Tomodachi Life' was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary." - Nintendo rep

Marini acknowledged to KTVK that "there are far greater concerns out there" than relationship options in a video game. But he noted that popular games like "The Sims," a life-simulation franchise launched by Electronic Arts in 2000, have allowed same-sex relationships for years. - Marini

Tomodachi is an alternate playful world not a simulator, sims is a simulator. As said there's more important issues out there, so stop being a hypocrite and move on.

superchunk said:
pokymon90 said:

If true, its only because they don't worry about getting the partner pregnant and therefore are less common to practice safe sex. It has nothing to do with the actual act of same-sex sex. That's just dumb.

you are correct that it isn't necesarilly the "act" of homosexual activity, because everything that is construed as homosexual activity is also practicable, and is practiced in many case, by heterosexual couples.  but due to the nature of homosexual sex (these actions), their risks for diseases actually are increased.

read this.  it is presented in a religious context and is openly anti-homosexual, i know, but true none-the-less: http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/homosexuality/ho0075.html