By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the biggest meltdown in gaming history?

Seriously, FF XIII doesn't even come close.  It's not even in the same stratosphere.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
Are you talking about hypothetical meltdowns or historical meltdowns? I am guessing historical.

Atari 2600 was probably the worst of all time.

Sega leaving the console making industry was pretty bad. People don't seem to realize that as a third party they don't really care enough to perfect a game before it releases.

Rare going to microsoft is a close third. We have forever lost one of the greatest development teams of all time, and I don't think the outlook of their franchises is much better.

I'm somewhat torn about this next one. Sony pisses me off in a lot of ways but they did fix Nintendo's crummy attitude and they expanded the gaming industry many times over. I think they were necessary at first, but they've done horrible things in the last generation that has forever ruined countless franchises.

First historical, them hypotetical.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Goatseye said:
DonFerrari said:
Goatseye said:
I wouldn't mind people that down play games for futile reasons. You should do the same if you don't mind my suggestion.

I don't mind them (even more on genres I don't have interest).

Hope you have been enjoying your TF while it's hot... do you think it will keep kicking when new CoD and/or TF2 release?

You know how gaming scenario is always changing. If Halo 5 or 2 anniversary comes out hot TF will lose players.

However, COD will only suck back FPS gamers if they're next installment is dramatically better/different in terms of gameplay.

But I don't think you would mind losing TG players to Halo.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

radishhead said:

It's funny you should ask- I made a Top 10 on this exact topic a while back

Thanks for the contribution.

The "Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform" was the biggest one. I can't belive people would do such a scandal for a game switching from "exclusive" to "multiplatform", specially when the game wasn't a first party one.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
platformmaster918 said:
Gotta be XB1 reveal. No one actually thought MS was going through with it and those who did frequently said Sony was just being mum on it because they were going to do the same thing. After that Sony E3 conference the meltdowns were incredible. I'm watching E3 with my friend literally with our jaws dropping and laughing at every policy reveal and then the price was just the knockout. No one could believe how definitive and direct they were with their message and some hardcore Xbots were converted. Then that Amazon poll with Xbox losing 22 to 1 in ratio before being taken down. Then Don with his INFAMOUS "just buy 360" policy for servicemen. The single biggest swing in marketshare in E3 history. We're still seeing the effects of that meltdown today with Sony leading.

I haven't watched the whole reveal because I had no interest in the console... but here in the community the comotion was certainly huge... and we still have people that believe Sony wanted to do the same and waited for MS to show first and be burned and them made the 1st day patch to remove it (no one have found this code on the patch yet).

even me, who doesn't really like Xbox, was saying that they wouldn't do it.  I just couldn't believe they would try something so stupid.  When they revealed the console and then started with the whole reveal of policies confiming everything I just laughed and then shook my head.  Like really?  Then I was worried Sony would do the same thing and was soooo happy during that conference.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

X1 reveal

Anfebious said:
The "Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform" was the biggest one. I can't belive people would do such a scandal for a game switching from "exclusive" to "multiplatform", specially when the game wasn't a first party one.

Sarcasm detection?  I think it hurt because it was initially confirmed as exclusive.

I felt it was Square's saying to Sony "Hey we dont care that 8/10 of our all time best selling games were on Playstation, screw you."

V-r0cK said:
Anfebious said:

Sarcasm detection?  I think it hurt because it was initially confirmed as exclusive.

I felt it was Square's saying to Sony "Hey we dont care that 8/10 of our all time best selling games were on Playstation, screw you."

So? The game was coming either way for the PS3! It's not like the cancelled it... they just expanded the Final Fantasy brand to the Xbox audience. I see nothing wrong with that.

Square did worse with Nintendo. They released the first 6 games in Nintendo consoles and then switched to Playstation. With FF XIII Square went from Sony to Sony and Microsoft. With FF VII they went from Nintendo to Sony.

It would have been a huge megaton if the internet was more massive at the time it happened.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Far from biggest, but ME3 rushed ending was a pretty big meltdown.