By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to release figurines for in-game play! (think Disney Infinity / Skylanders but better)

If done right; with the perfect software and marketing - this could potentially make nintendo shitloads of dough especially if it is Pokemon related.

Pokken Fighter/Pokken tournament + Figurines = shitloads of money

Around the Network

Well their goes my bank account =D

They might as well try it because they need to find whatever profit sources they can at this point, but I wonder if there isn't market saturation here.

Disney is launching Star Wars and Marvel Universe NFC toy lines this fall too.

If I'm a parent and the choice is buying a $60 starter kit for the XBox 360 my kid already has or paying $300 for a Wii U for the Nintendo figures ... I think Nintendo loses that battle honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the main consumer of these Nintendo toys are actually just 20-35 year old Nintendo fans.

mii-gamer said:
If done right; with the perfect software and marketing - this could potentially make nintendo shitloads of dough especially if it is Pokemon related.

Pokken Fighter/Pokken tournament + Figurines = shitloads of money

Ah pokken fighters... that's right. That's probably one of the new games we'll see this release for. 

I can't wait to buy this shit!

Soundwave said:
They might as well try it because they need to find whatever profit sources they can at this point, but I wonder if there isn't market saturation here.

If I'm a parent and the choice is buying a $60 starter kit for the XBox 360 my kid already has or paying $300 for a Wii U for the Nintendo figures ... I think Nintendo loses that battle honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the main consumer of these Nintendo toys are actually just 20-35 year old Nintendo fans.

Does the fact that a game released in 2008 still sells over 1m a year in 2013/14 due to it having Nintendo IPs in it escape you?

I think you underestimate the power of Mario and Pokemon.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

buuuhuuu moooom. i wanted the POKEMON game. buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuu.  i dont like spiderman mom. im scared of him, he can swap his faces.  moooooooooooooooooooooooom.  at least buy me the deadpool figur.... he is funny

superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

Does the fact that a game released in 2008 still sells over 1m a year in 2013/14 due to it having Nintendo IPs in it escape you?

Soundwaves makes a valid point.  Skylanders more or less created this market and has their claws set in pretty deep and by the time nintendo gets their hat into this ring they'll be faced by a three headed monster in infinity's disney, marvel and star wars which presents a very broad potential consumer base, which is not only competing with nintendo on the other platforms but on their own hardware as well.  Not only that but nintendo can't rely on the 3DS being a safety net from the onset as it isn't compatible with nfc out of the box so for the first year the figurines may depend solely on wii u which is far from ideal.

That doesn't mean these figures will fail, it simply means it faces an uphill battle.

Soundwave said:

There are no announcements made for Star Wars Infinity as of late. It will most likley be a November 2015 title, just in time for their Star Wars VII.

Skylanders and Disney Infinity have not launched in Japan yet - Nintendo have the market all to themselves and the bulk of their profits are derived from Japan. The potential is there.

In addition, Skylanders and Disney Infinity have a higher attachment on Nintendo consoles that their competitors - target audience is already accustomed in purchasing figurines. Nintendo needs only to market the product accordingly.

15-20% of Lego's revenues are from individuals aged between 20-35.

superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

That's all nice for the Wii (which has a 100 million userbase, some people haven't gotten around to Mario Kart, in some countries too MK is bundled with the Wii mini). Mario hasn't been able to save the Wii U and Pokemon couldn't save the 3DS from having the worst Nintendo handheld sales since 1998, so as these franchises relate to the 3DS and Wii U ... the current generation, Nintendo's franchises alone don't equal hardware success.