By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not replacing WiiU for at least a few more years! ~Iwata

2017?

yes 200 54.35%

no 77 20.92%

see foolish answers 90 24.46%

Total:367

I don't think there will be another Nintendo console period. Not 2017, not 2018. Especially if QOL takes off.

That will be their new two pillars -- QOL + Nintendo Fusion hardware. Dedicated consoles will phase out eventually anyway I think. There will be a Playstation 5 for example, but I don't think Nintendo has any interest in competing against that. There probably won't be a Playstation 6 though IMO ... everything will switch over to a streaming service by then.

You will be able to get all your TV, movies, games, ala carte in your living room through some kind of online/cable based service, there won't be a need for a shoebox console under your TV anymore. 

Around the Network

I think Soundwave is right, the QOL and the Fusion hardware is going to be the next thing in Nintendo's future. They just revealed Nintendo investing $100 million in a QOL company. Gates is open to the idea of selling the Xbox division if Microsoft brass see fit and Sony is taking huge losses. The days of dedicated consoles are coming to a close and this is the last hurrah of them. 

I don't think they'll release new game hardware until the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018.

captcoffee41 said:

I think Soundwave is right, the QOL and the Fusion hardware is going to be the next thing in Nintendo's future. They just revealed Nintendo investing $100 million in a QOL company. Gates is open to the idea of selling the Xbox division if Microsoft brass see fit and Sony is taking huge losses. The days of dedicated consoles are coming to a close and this is the last hurrah of them. 

Yup, I think after this gen, both Nintendo and MS are going to be fed up with the home console concept.

Nintendo will go Fusion + QOL, MS I think may just dump the XBox hardware altogether and try to beat Apple or Google to the punch for an online streaming service. 

Sony (for obvious reasons) will be the only one really interested in another traditional console generation. 

So glad to hear they are going to continue the wii u but i do believe nintendos new portable system will be able to play on the tv as well now nintendo needs to reap the rewards and go wii u!

Around the Network

I still think they'll release a cheaper redesign of the Wii U. They'll release a new console in 2016-17 at the latest.

spemanig said:
I still think they'll release a cheaper redesign of the Wii U.

Why? I provided supporting logic for my statement.

Happy they are keeping it i do believe tho for those eho say that say they wont have a home console they will in some form even if it connects by the handheld or its alone nintendo just has 2  be smart but do not leave the home console just outlast xbox and you will rewp the rewards

superchunk said:
spemanig said:
I still think they'll release a cheaper redesign of the Wii U.

Why? I provided supporting logic for my statement.

...Because the current one isn't selling and there's a precident for Nintendo product redesigns? Logic.

KoopaKid said:

Happy they are keeping it i do believe tho for those eho say that say they wont have a home console they will in some form even if it connects by the handheld or its alone nintendo just has 2  be smart but do not leave the home console just outlast xbox and you will rewp the rewards

How many console generations are honestly left though? 

Apple is already apparently on the verge on inking a deal with US cable providers that would let them bypass a lot of bandwidth issues for example. 

If Sony's own Playstation streaming service actually works ... then quite honestly there's no reason it couldn't stream PS4 quality games, but they are just artificially capping the service to only provide PS3 games.

Eventually honestly there will be no need for a home console. Everything will be digital and most likely all your movies/games/cable TV will come to you digitally (which you'll be able to enjoy around your home on your TV/tablet/phone whatever). 

I think for Nintendo especially there's really not much motivation to release another console. Especially if that QOL thing takes off ... I think they're full on done with the console biz. They'll "support" the Wii U with 4-5 games a year after 2015 just to keep their core fans happy for the next few years, but I think after that they are going to completely wash their hands of the home console idea. Fusion handheld hybrid + QOL is where they're going IMO.