By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not replacing WiiU for at least a few more years! ~Iwata

2017?

yes 200 54.35%

no 77 20.92%

see foolish answers 90 24.46%

Total:367
Skidonti said:
trestres said:
Skidonti said:

Nintendo refers to a lot of things as FY Ending ___, whether in future or in retrospect.
Hence, on their consolidated sales documents available on their IR site they list FY3/2013 as the year that included most of 2012. The current FY in progress is FY3/2015.
It is just nomenclature but it's darned important to understand what the company means lest we be off by more than a year.

Edit: Visiting their IR site just now is the first I've seen them explicity refer to a year not by the month it ends. So maybe they are bringing in more of the usual nomenclature.

Why are you making things up? The answer is right on their IR Page, the one you just quoted.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

FY 2013 (ended March 2014)

You should have checked before writing that.

This is not the first time I've visited their IR page. I've been referencing it and their consolidated sales documents for a while, and I was merely stating what I've seen in such experience. A quick look at one of the documents linked there would show you that they still do refer to every single year within them by the month they ended, as I said, most recently being FY3/2014.

For example, this fully updated document.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_pl_e1403.pdf

I'm not making things up at all, and I checked after writing, upon which I became surprised and came back to  acknowledge that IR does indeed now use the typical nomenclature. However, that's only within the website navigation and headers, as within reference documents the naming is still as I described.
See where I'm coming from tres? I wouldn't be so up in arms if not for being told I'm making things up.

Compare with Sony's consolidated financials, where it's clearly all about starting year in the documents.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/historical.html

OK, I do see what you mean now. I was being overly defensive. However, FY3/2014 means FY ending on March 2014.

Japanese FY's , I've read, are called by the year they began on. FY 2013 is indeed FY 3/2014

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

I think Nintendo fans may want to enjoy their Wii U while it lasts, because there probably isn't a successor to it coming in a traditional sense, not because Nintendo feels obligated to support the system for X amount of years, but moreso because they will have little interest in continuing forward in the console space. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bails out of the console biz too after this gen. 

Sony will likely be the only one left that's really strongly attached to the idea of a traditional home console, most because they have the most to lose. 

Nintendo's console audience has basically whittled away into such a small niche that they won't really miss it, they'll just roll that audience into their handheld base and let future handhelds run games on the TV. 

Nintendo's not in this business to provide support to platforms that sell a paltry 3 millions units/year, the Wii U will be supported through 2015 just to keep the fans happy, but I think behind the scenes they're already well underway in focusing on different hardware pillars which will actually be the future of their business (for their sake they better hope that QOL thing takes off). 

People have been making these kinds of assumptions for several generations.

It ultimately comes down to whether the company in question really believe they can spark people's interest again, and justify the need for a box too big to be carried around.

Nintendo has never included ethernet plugs on their consoles, so they just might be the first to go all handheld and wireless. Though it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a new mysterious nameless Nintendo box at E3 2016.

Microsoft is gaining too much goodwill on the American home market from Xbox to drop out. They certainly aren't loosing any substantial amount of money on the project anyway. Nothing that can't be covred by what they make on selling Microsoft branded PC accessories anyway.

As you say, Sony may have the most to lose, with PlayStation being their most popular brand, and they usually find a way to excite people, so I think they'll stay around.

they should just milk the pokemon franchises.

EricFabian said:
DM235 said:
I still think Nintendo will release a redesigned Wii U this year - one without a gamepad.

Even if they are making profit on each console, it is no enough to sustain further R&D. And with such a small install base, even if each new game they release is a monster hit, they cannot sell more then 6 million copies.

I am excited to see what they do with NFP / NFC.

You are excited to see NFC games but still thinks NIntendo will release a Wii U without gamepad... makes sense

Do the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 have a gamepad?  No they don't.  Yet you can plan Skylanders and Dinsey Infinity on those consoles, and both of those games use NFC.  You need to think outside the box...  The Wii U can either have a "portal" accessory, or even integrate an NFC antennae into a Pro controller (and these options would be a lot cheaper than having a gamepad included with a console).  

Nintendo is planning on bringing NFP to the 3DS as well, so either they will have a redesigned 3DS, or again, it will use an accessory (much like the IR portal from Skylanders).  No gamepad required.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=183066

It appears new info is surfacing to prove my point.