By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not replacing WiiU for at least a few more years! ~Iwata

2017?

yes 200 54.35%

no 77 20.92%

see foolish answers 90 24.46%

Total:367
Kaizar said:
Soundwave said:

In reality I think Nintendo will stop supporting the Wii U in a primary way once Zelda U comes out and 2015 wraps up. The system will chug its way to about 15-18 million owners and then just fade away. 

They'll support it through 2015 to keep the few fans that bought the system happy, but Nintendo's not in the habit of sinking tons of money into low-profit ventures either.

Like I said though, even with just the games we know about, through the end of 2015, the Wii U library from Nintendo's side compares very favorably to the entire 5 year run the GameCube had though ... so that should be enough for Nintendo to fulfil their obligation and move on to other greener pastures if they want to. 

I suspect projects that maybe would've rolled onto the Wii U in 2016/17 like a Super Mario Galaxy 3 have already been quietly moved to Nintendo's hybrid platform (though I suppose if its easy to port such a game to the Wii U, then maybe Wii U will get a port) behind the scenes. 

Zelda U comes out in 2016 or 2017.

There won't be anything left of the Wii U by then, it'll be selling like 2 million a year by 2016, maybe less. If Aonuma's team can't make a new Zelda game in under 5 years, they are really out to lunch and letting the company down. 

I think the next Zelda will dual launch with Nintendo's Fusion handheld too, it won't be just for Wii U. Nintendo is not going to sink a huge budget game (probably their biggest budget game ever) and let it rot on such a small userbase. It's gonna get Twilight Princess-ed. 

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
TarHeeLsALLday said:
This is all PR talk. Nintendo is planning to abandon it the second their quality of life crap is ready.

I've been only hearing that Quality of Life is just a Firmware Update for the 3DS to greatly increase its Battery Life.

LMAO! That would be the funniest announcement since "$599" and, "RIIIIDGE RACEERRR!"

DM235 said:
I still think Nintendo will release a redesigned Wii U this year - one without a gamepad.

Even if they are making profit on each console, it is no enough to sustain further R&D. And with such a small install base, even if each new game they release is a monster hit, they cannot sell more then 6 million copies.

I am excited to see what they do with NFP / NFC.

You are excited to see NFC games but still thinks NIntendo will release a Wii U without gamepad... makes sense

Click HERE and be happy 

Why anyone thought otherwise is hilarious. Nintendo isn't Sega. They're going to stick by their system. They're not stupid enough to rush another new console out to market because this one hasn't been doing great thus far. And why anyone with half a brain would actually think that them doing so would be a recipe for success, is beyond me.

No matter how you try to look at it, at least intelligently, it makes zero sense on any front.

They will be sticking with Wii U till at LEAST late 2016, if not 2017. That has always been the case.

Soundwave said:

GBA was barely supported with new software after 2004. Sure Nintendo coined the DS as a "third pillar" just in case it flopped so they could quietly kill it off if need be and bring out a proper Game Boy successor, just in case the PSP routed them out of the handheld biz. 

Yes, because there is some reality that exists where that would have happened.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
Soundwave said:

In reality I think Nintendo will stop supporting the Wii U in a primary way once Zelda U comes out and 2015 wraps up. The system will chug its way to about 15-18 million owners and then just fade away. 

They'll support it through 2015 to keep the few fans that bought the system happy, but Nintendo's not in the habit of sinking tons of money into low-profit ventures either.

Like I said though, even with just the games we know about, through the end of 2015, the Wii U library from Nintendo's side compares very favorably to the entire 5 year run the GameCube had though ... so that should be enough for Nintendo to fulfil their obligation and move on to other greener pastures if they want to. 

I suspect projects that maybe would've rolled onto the Wii U in 2016/17 like a Super Mario Galaxy 3 have already been quietly moved to Nintendo's hybrid platform (though I suppose if its easy to port such a game to the Wii U, then maybe Wii U will get a port) behind the scenes. 

Zelda U comes out in 2016 or 2017.

For the Wii U succesor. Agreed.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

DevilRising said:
Why anyone thought otherwise is hilarious. Nintendo isn't Sega. They're going to stick by their system. They're not stupid enough to rush another new console out to market because this one hasn't been doing great thus far. And why anyone with half a brain would actually think that them doing so would be a recipe for success, is beyond me.

No matter how you try to look at it, at least intelligently, it makes zero sense on any front.

They will be sticking with Wii U till at LEAST late 2016, if not 2017. That has always been the case.

I don't think that's the case actually. They will not release another console any time soon. You're right about that.

But I don't see them making a ton of Wii U games after 2015 either. Nintendo is not going to waste any more resources on Wii U than they have to. 

By the end of 2015, the Wii U likely will have (in terms of Nintendo games) a library already equal to what the GameCube got in its lifetime anyway. It will have gotten its fill of Mario/Zelda/Smash/DKC/Mario Kart that no reasonable Nintendo fan can complain considering its a system that barely manages 3 million/year in hardware sales. No need to support it beyond that, they can move on to greener pastures after that. 

QOL - Launches spring 2015

Nintendo Fusion Handheld Hybrid - Launches Nov-April 2015/16

Is what Nintendo will focus on for 2016, not the lame duck Wii U. 

Damn you Carl for getting rid of quote trees, LOL JK.

And I've been telling you guys that Nintendo was already making a profit on the Wii U for the past few moths.

Pavolink said:

I agree until that point. The later is just lies just as how they were ready for HD development (struggling until now) and there won't be droughts after launch, and after E3 last year (and there were droughts after launch and after last holidays).

They are ready to launch a new console and they will see when, not when you say you are satisfied. It could happen tomorrow or in ten years. I don't know where you get the 2017 date. That's just speculation.

If we assume everything people say is false, there really is no truth.

Iwata said they wont release until customers are satisfied, specifically mentioning the SEGA example. You are in a spiral of negativity.

Soundwave said:
DevilRising said:

I don't think that's the case actually. They will not release another console any time soon. You're right about that.

But I don't see them making a ton of Wii U games after 2015 either. Nintendo is not going to waste any more resources on Wii U than they have to. 

By the end of 2015, the Wii U likely will have (in terms of Nintendo games) a library already equal to what the GameCube got in its lifetime anyway. It will have gotten its fill of Mario/Zelda/Smash/DKC/Mario Kart that no reasonable Nintendo fan can complain considering its a system that barely manages 3 million/year in hardware sales. No need to support it beyond that, they can move on to greener pastures after that. 

That's why they have been delaying their games. They need to space each one from to to fill the release schedule. That's why Hyrule Warriors is made this year instead of the real one, and that's why NDS VC is a priority over new games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile