By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii tops PS3, even on an off week.

weezy said:

So Wii has an off week and supply shortages and still comes out on top?

Can someone explain this?

Uh, because the Wii is the market-leading console? This isn't exactly news. Even in a week where the Wii sells essentially nothing in America, it still comfortably leads in worldwide sales thanks to Europe and Japan. The Wii continues to outsell both PS3 and 360 combined; it might not look like that on a weekly basis, due to the vagaries of supply, but consider this:

Feb. 8

Wii 441k
PS3 180k
360 140k
Combined 320k

Feb. 15

Wii 236k
PS3 176k
360 129k
Combined 305k

Wii Total: 677k
PS3/360 Total: 625k

The same thing occurs if you stretch out the comparison over more weeks. So on a weekly basis things will fluctuate due to supply, but the overall trends are quite stable.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Lol Nintendo Fanboy soul massage threads FTW Newsflash Wii sells better than other consoles. (At least for the immediate future)

No mention of the 360?

What exactly is the point of this thread?

You said "Can someone explain this?"

Then 3 posts later you answer your own question...

Funny to hear people bash my post without actually giving any reason why i'm wrong, well just compare the track of the PS3 to the PSP and you'll see likely hints of the PS3's future, the PS3 is probably going to have a very similar track as the PSP, just with lower sales

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i never thoug that this would happen
what a surprise...
well the wii apeals to a large audience and that is why it is soo popular.

Around the Network

obviously the wii has been outselling and will outsell the ps3 worlwide for a while.

i noticed how the op didn't mention it also outsold the 360.
seeing as the ps3 is either 399 or 499, and the wii is 250 and comes with a game, thats why it has sold more for all this time. the new controller and some good first party games dont hurt.

if the ps3 was 250 since launch i guarantee you it would have very similar if not better sales than the wii.

brute said:
yeah nintendo should of shipped more,maybe theyre waiting for brawl

Why do people say "of" instead of "have" in sentences like that one when they SHOULDN'T?

I'm so curious. PLEASE let me know. I have never ever seen anything like this, ecxept here on VGC.

dannyphantom105 said:
obviously the wii has been outselling and will outsell the ps3 worlwide for a while.

seeing as the ps3 is either 399 or 499, and the wii is 250 and comes with a game, thats why it has sold more for all this time. the new controller and some good first party games dont hurt.

if the ps3 was 250 since launch i guarantee you it would have very similar if not better sales than the wii.

Lower price didn't push the GCN

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

super smash brawl thats why.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
dannyphantom105 said:

Lower price didn't push the GCN

Yes, but there was no incentive to get a gamecube, while the PS3 was the successor of the best selling (and imo, the best) ever, so yes price parity between the PS3 and Wii would have ruined the Wii.  The Wii was given an opening and Nintendo took it.