By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Waving The White Flag On Wii U? Only Forecasting 3.6 mill Shipments

they said it is not the time to release a new console while consumers are not satisfied with wii u.

Around the Network

Soundwave said:

Most likely what I think Nintendo is working on is a new portable platform that is powerful enough and designed to allow for ports of Wii U games. This is where they will re-release a lot of Wii U games like Pikmin 3, MK8, etc. to make extra profit on those games IMO. 

That new platform will probably be a hybrid one that allows for games to also be played on the TV when at home.

If the QOL pillar takes off for Nintendo, honestly I think they are probably done with dedicated home consoles as a whole. They will have a hybrid portable with TV output platform for games and then QOL stuff for seniors/soccer moms and that will be their 1-2 business punch. 

This! I believe you're spot on here. It just makes too much sense. For years they've relied on the traditional handheld and home console 1-2 punch, and it makes sense this will continue in a new form - traditional handheld/home dock hybrid and QoL. 

It'll be interesting to see if/when this scenario plays out.

Max King of the Wild said:
Soundwave, discontinuing support for the console is just as bad as discontinuing the console all together. Especially considering the sales they get while they are supporting it. Can you imagine what it'll look like in the end game?

Wii U is going to look fairly ugly in the end any way you spin it, I don't think there's much that can be done about that. 

Nintendo probably has the following games in developmentment under their financing -- Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. U, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Fighters, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 2, Fatal Frame U, Yarn Yoshi, probably a few others we don't know about like a Mario Party U. They should take them a while to release all those games anyway, and they will release those games no matter what, even if the Wii U only sells 10 more systems total. 

What's probably happening behind the scenes though is I suspect some projects that might have been on the Wii U otherwise though that are beginning a big part of their development now ... like say an Animal Crossing U or Mario Galaxy 3 ... those games might be transferred to Nintendo's "fusion handheld" platform instead. Better to launch strongly with that than keep investing into a sinking ship. 

Mr Khan said:

2016 they enter a "phase out" era with a, perhaps spring, launch of a new handheld (which will have given 3DS a solid 5-year run) which is fully cross-compatible with Wii U games by being as strong as the U. The handheld subs as the gamepad allowing them to sell through the last wave of Wii U's as gamepad-free, and then launch a "successor" which just up-rezzes the handheld games.

We'll see high end tablets that can match Wii U performance, but with the prices Nintendo targets for it's handhelds it's doubtful you'll see such processors in NextDS.

I also doubt that NextDS will be cross-compatible with Wii U because #1 hell will freeze over before they use a PowerPC CPU in a portable, and #2 there's little point to be compatible with a failed platform with few games.

My 8th gen collection

Is it only me who's throwing up every time someone mentions the QoL secret sauce?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
ICStats said:
Mr Khan said:

2016 they enter a "phase out" era with a, perhaps spring, launch of a new handheld (which will have given 3DS a solid 5-year run) which is fully cross-compatible with Wii U games by being as strong as the U. The handheld subs as the gamepad allowing them to sell through the last wave of Wii U's as gamepad-free, and then launch a "successor" which just up-rezzes the handheld games.

We'll see high end tablets that can match Wii U performance, but with the prices Nintendo targets for it's handhelds it's doubtful you'll see such processors in NextDS.

I also doubt that NextDS will be cross-compatible with Wii U because #1 hell will freeze over before they use a PowerPC CPU in a portable, and #2 there's little point to be compatible with a failed platform with few games.

It doesn't have to match Wii U performance, it just has to make Wii U ports reasonable. For example it could run the games at 480 or 540p resolution on the road. 

Their next handheld fusion device will probably use a ARM core, but they will probably take steps with the design and dev kits to streamline some aspects of porting from the Wii U if a developer wants to do that. 

Agreed sound wave and that max guy is a troll lol go do something else except bash nintendo

Warned - Kantor

I'd say it's more of a caution flag while they clear the burning debris from the track and the QoL is the safety car.

Soundwave said:
ICStats said:
Mr Khan said:

It doesn't have to match Wii U performance, it just has to make Wii U ports reasonable. For example it could run the games at 480 or 540p resolution on the road. 

Their next handheld fusion device will probably use a ARM core, but they will probably take steps with the design and dev kits to streamline some aspects of porting from the Wii U if a developer wants to do that. 

Exactly. They could have a whole host of new games to run at "TV" resolutions, and just have a low-res version for the handheld. You could buy either (severe discount buying both, not two-for-one, but close). It's all cross-compatible, but you could still get games like Zelda and the next mainline Mario in their full TV glory while still being able to port them easily.

Nintendo's already said they're going to "incorporate Wii U architecture" into their future platforms. I do agree it likely won't be PowerPC, but it's got to be something.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

cheshirescat said:

I'd say it's more of a caution flag while they clear the burning debris from the track and the QoL is the safety car.

I'll admit this made me chuckle.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.