By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Final Fantasy ever start a new naming convention?

Tagged games:

Looking forward to Final Fantasy L.

Around the Network

I doubt they abandon the naming convention, roman numerals are really nice and actually aesthetically pleasing. For example, Final Fantasy XXIV is a lot better than Final Fantasy 24. Plus, most of the Final Fantasy games are set in different universes, so they don't really need to branch off.

Although Bravely Default is pretty much Final Fantasy with a different name so...

BaldrSkies said:
They should go the Hollywood route and just call the next game "Final Fantasy"

No no no no, you're doing it wrong.

It's The Amazing Final Fantasy (2014 edition)

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I think Square has ruined enough traditions. Let it always keep the cool number system.

it's possible.

I never thought nintendo would start numbering mario kart, and they started.

Maybe the reverse can happen here.

I doubt the main series will move away from numbers, but there have been plenty of sub series and side stories that have names other than Final Fantasy.

I think Square Enix has already ruined naming the series when they named what should have been called FF Online FF11, then FF Online 2 FF14. It really doesn't matter what they start naming them.

Around the Network
Skidonti said:

Enough serious sales talk.
Final Fantasy is a massive flagship franchise for Square Enix worldwide, and we've got FFXV on the horizon. Fifteen!

I've been wondering, whether or not anyone cares, if/when the number ever gets too high. Would it feel weird to you to be saying, buying, or marketing "Final Fantasy 19" or "Final Fantasy 23"? Square has stuck strong with the numeric approach for their titles, and I don't think the franchise will kick the bucket in the near future, so I think it would probably reach the "stupidly high number of sequels" zone before any other franchise. Will they ever need to change the convention or do you not care?

So what do you think? Will our children ever get to play Final Fantasy XXX?

*looks at your sig*, probably the same day Zelda does.

lucidium said:

*looks at your sig*, probably the same day Zelda does.

lol I was gonna say something similar. 

On topic, I think they will follow the numeric trend a few games more and then start calling them with sub names. Ex: FF Versus XIII.

gamemaster4747 said:
I think Square has ruined enough traditions. Let it always keep the cool number system.

yeah i like the numbering system! i think they will keep it that way just like megaman... oh wait... shit!

No, because everyone knows that a FF title without a number in it means it automatically sucks.

But then again, these days having a number in the title of a FF game doesn't automatically mean the game is good...

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

kupomogli said:
I doubt the main series will move away from numbers, but there have been plenty of sub series and side stories that have names other than Final Fantasy.

I think Square Enix has already ruined naming the series when they named what should have been called FF Online FF11, then FF Online 2 FF14. It really doesn't matter what they start naming them.

I think they should have named the MMOs something different as well. They simply aren't part of the main franchise.
Then they could slow down their progress towards the big XXX. (though their delays are doing that effectively enough already...)