By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's up with Final Fantasy VI's cast?

Tagged games:

I played and beat VI recently and was thoroughly disappointed. I've played earlier ones and I can tell it was a step in the right direction, but they did not make the big jump until VII.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
painmaster212 said:
artur-fernand said:

This is something that has always bothered me. One of the main praises that FFVI get, is that the entire cast is well-developed and meaningul to the story - so much so, that you can't even define who the protagonist is.

I saw the complete opposite: the most inflated cast on the series. Half of the characters are completely useless (in battle, in the story, or both. Mostly both). I can clearly see the protagonist on the first half is Terra, and Celes is the main character of the second half (which is a trainwreck btw, but whatever). In the game's defense, the ones who matter are pretty good. Edgar and Sabin are two of my favorites on the series, but guys, are you seeing something I'm not? It's not a troll attempt, I'm genuinely interested in why people love the game's cast SO MUCH.

I'd say big part of why you don't care too much for the game is because your spoiled by today's offerings in the RPG genres, you never got to experience the game when it was first released on the limited hardware at the time so you can never understand why the game gathers so much love. Yes nostalgia may play a role in the game's greatness but it not the only reason.

Btw VI is not my favorite RPG or FF game either so don't assume i am 1 of those FFVI loyalist who gathers a pitchfork and torch when someone questions it's greatness haha but i do understand why the game is considered so good. Btw how do you feel about Chrono Trigger?

Chrono Trigger is obviously the best game ever made. And I can assure you it's not about the limited hardware - I absolutely love FFIV and V. My biggest gripe with FFVI is the excessive amount of characters, and World of Ruin. The pacing of the second half of the game is a complete disaster. Now, FFIV also has a lot of characters (11, I think), but I feel they are much more developed. Shadow, for example, is a fan favorite, and I'll never understand that. He's pretty much a mandatory optional-character. His backstory is told through randomly triggered scenes, nuff said.

Out of all the FF's from IV and beyond, VI is definitely my least favorite. I'd say VIII, but the game is so easily broken, that it makes it fun.

Personally I thought all characters in FFVI/III had a good backstory (with the exception of Mog and Gogo), I liked them a lot and their interactions, Gau's story was so sad cause his father didn't want to recognize him :( I'd say it's one of my favorite casts ever but to each their own, of course Chrono Trigger is better ;)I never happened to get Umaro so Idon't know if he had a backstory or not XD.

Nem said:

I am about as confused as you. I think its a decent game, but it certainly doesnt reach the levels of VII and IX.

I believe its the nostalgia. I am sure that for the time it came out, it was a really good game.

You are kidding me right??!? FFVII characters are as flat as they come. Cloud is a prick emo kid that can't even tell someone to fuck off. Sephiroth is some sort of evil mutant that has mommy issues. And the rest of the cast are Tifa who basically is your typical slutty high school girl. Aeris typical goody goody girl. Barret who is a stereotypical black guy that is offensive to the black community in the U.S. and a huge evil woman that was in charge of an orphanat. i won't get into the rest because they are not memorable, except perhaps for Cid.

The only reason why FF 7 is considered a classic is because it came out in the dominating console when videogaming finally became popular rather than a nerd hobby. I would take FF3 characters over FF 7 any day. Plus, the only twist in FF 7 that was worth playing for was when Aeris died. Outside of that, the game was your typical RPG game with new twists on combat (materia development).

BaldrSkies said:
I actually feel that FF4 was better, and in fact the best mainline FF game.

Nothing beats FF Tactics though.

I agree with you about Final Fantasy IV. Final Fantasy VI is very good. The World of Balance is exceptional but the World of Ruin isn't of the same quality. In addition to having a strong cast, Final Fantasy IV is a strong game throughout.

Around the Network

I actually love FF VI's cast. There's diversity, and back stories told through optional side quests. I didn't care too much for VII's cast, other than Cid. One thing I like about VI is that the characters have unique commands. If you want to steal, you gotta use Locke. Want to use Enemy Skills, gotta have Strago in the party. Throw weapons, Shadow, etc. Of course Gogo can do all these things as well, but he's just one unique character. In VII the only unique character attributes are Limit Breaks. At the end it seems pointless to use any other party than Cloud, Cid, and Yuffie. Equip Master everything on them and that's it. The one unique character was Aeris, as she definitely had the strongest magic, but well....

Anyways, VII is a great game, but VI is my favorite in the series, followed by IX then IV.

Wright said:

Thank God you didn't say anything bad about Cyan Garamonde, or I would have gone bananas.

By not mentioning him, he kinda did...

pokoko said:
The best of all the Final Fantasy games, in my opinion. So many of the characters are interesting, they have their own conflicts and problems, and the game does a good job of displaying their emotions to you. The theme isn't really about 'main characters' but rather characters being tied to other characters, like links in a chain that make them stronger. We don't have one character gritting his teeth and saving the world with his giant sword, we have a group of characters who are able to preserver because they are together.

You might want to avoid Suikoden, as it has 108 playable characters.

Completely agree with pokoko here, about FFVI being the best of the series and about its cast of characters being among the best. What I especially love about the roster is that it represents a true ensemble, not just a hero or heroine surrounded by a supporting cast.

Soonerman said:
Nem said:

I am about as confused as you. I think its a decent game, but it certainly doesnt reach the levels of VII and IX.

I believe its the nostalgia. I am sure that for the time it came out, it was a really good game.

You are kidding me right??!? FFVII characters are as flat as they come. Cloud is a prick emo kid that can't even tell someone to fuck off. Sephiroth is some sort of evil mutant that has mommy issues. And the rest of the cast are Tifa who basically is your typical slutty high school girl. Aeris typical goody goody girl. Barret who is a stereotypical black guy that is offensive to the black community in the U.S. and a huge evil woman that was in charge of an orphanat. i won't get into the rest because they are not memorable, except perhaps for Cid.

The only reason why FF 7 is considered a classic is because it came out in the dominating console when videogaming finally became popular rather than a nerd hobby. I would take FF3 characters over FF 7 any day. Plus, the only twist in FF 7 that was worth playing for was when Aeris died. Outside of that, the game was your typical RPG game with new twists on combat (materia development).

Please cover up any spoilers.

It is the only FF where all characters are important for gameplay and story... every character matters in FFVI... you will always indentify with one or more of them.

The World of Ruins is suppose to be the World of Ruins... that's why it is like that.

Everything in terms of story is liked in FFVI and everything happened so natural that makes games like FFVII a story wrote by children.

The characters have strong background plus unique and complex personalities like that race called humans.