By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - How i Met Your Mothers ending was utter S**t (spoilers obviously)

Perfect ending to the show if you ask me. 9th season was all about barney and robins wedding... And how both of them were constantly having doubts. Ted started the story by telling the kids about how he met robin, not the mother. The ending makes the show make perfect sense.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Ted started the story by telling the kids about how he met robin, not the mother. 

Which makes perfect sense being that he met the mother because robin was getting married...

Max King of the Wild said:
gergroy said:
Ted started the story by telling the kids about how he met robin, not the mother. 

Which makes perfect sense being that he met the mother because robin was getting married...

Then why couldnt he start at robins wedding?  His kids knew who robin was.  He was telling them a story about Robin because he realized that he still loved her.  The story was more about Ted telling his kids that he actually loved two women in his life, and he was fishing around to see if they how they felt about him getting back together with Robin.  The whole series was about ted and robin.  The mother was more of an afterthought for a reason.  Even the last season served to show how ted was a better fit for robin than barney.  

Not got through the whole season yet, but it has been an absolute awful season.

I mean that whole road trip thing, and waiting at least 12 odd episodes to actually having an episode with the mother in it. I can't see why they did what they did to be fair, they should have just had her appear at the start and had the story of her becoming friends and them becoming an item (spending the whole series on the wedding... just why). The whole dead at the end is just so poor.

The only show so far that has got anywhere near to this level of rubbish storytelling and ruining a show was Roseanne... now that was bad.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

The ending was crap. The mother was basically used as a plot device so that Ted could have kids and be with Robin none the less. But Robin did not deserve anything as a character. She was easily the most selfish person in the show and she still got what she wanted. I think the more deserving ending for Robin would be her alone and having only her work (seeing as she prefered her work than her husband).

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Around the Network

Yeah, ending was total rubbish, but so was the show for quite some time...actually, if it wasn't for Barney, I would've stopped it watching long time ago.

I was rooting for Quinn anyway, so him divorcing Robin doesn't do anything for me, but Mother dying and Tedd and Robin ending up together is just plain stupid.

gergroy said:
Max King of the Wild said:
gergroy said:

Then why couldnt he start at robins wedding?    

Because its a sitcom. Why talk about Marshall becoming a lawyer then judge and having 3 kids? Or Lily going to SF and Barney going to get her? Or being left at the alter by that one woman?

Soleron said:
So they pulled a Lost then? They never had a clear idea from the start anyway but they marketed it like they did?

No.  Whether you liked it or hated it (personally, I loved it), LOST's ending was already settled on when the show first began.

OT:  I don't mean to offend people who actually liked How I Met Your Mother but I really don't see the appeal of anything about this show.  I mean, Cobie Smulders is a doll, but the characters just aren't likable and it's honestly one of the worst comedies I've ever seen.  Granted, I haven't seen every episode or anything, but from what I have seen, the humor (or attempt at humor) is terrible and the show has yet to make me laugh even once.

Yeah it was terrible. Like watching nine seasons of character development get thrown out the window.,

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I liked the fact that the ending had some interesting themes to it. The most prominent being that "the one" doesn't exist. You don't have a soulmate and you don't need to find that perfect "one". Whatshername actual mother was someone Ted could love, but Robin is too. Ted was making too big of a deal about searching for "the one" the entire time. Love isn't fairy tale and sometimes good things are taken away, but other good things can follow them.

So I don't know if I like the actual ending or not. Some ways yes and some ways no. But I do agree the finale episode was shit all the way through, and it ruined a lot of the last seasons. I didn't like Ted's kids much. The Barney and Robin divorce thing was stupid and a cop out, I think Barney's knocking up some girl ending was sweet in the end with the baby but also incredibly stupid and just kind of an easy way out for Barney to not end the series as the perennial manchild he'd been the whole series.

The episode itself felt choppy and cut scenes every few seconds. Poorly executed. And of course I don't think the series as a whole was quite as funny as some people do... I watched most of the first two seasons and some of the sixth and seventh then the last 2 episodes. I guess modern sitcoms aren't my thing because I feel that way about a lot of them.