By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS' 3D feature was a good move

NiKKoM said:
It stopped the piracy

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=105088

This, on the other hand is very true. I hadn't tought about it.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
Simply no.
The 3D screen, made console more expansive, and more complicate. To have the 3DS effect Nintendo decided to sacrifice on more more important aspects, like portability, battery life, construction quality. About the 3D effect parents were indifferent in the best case, and cautious in the worst case. So no, the 3D effect was a wrong idea and the console was bombing hard before a big and unhealthy price cut and Mario Land / Kart saved it.

I must say that the price cut + Land and Kart helped a lot but the price cut was way too big. Just bundling the 3DS with a game and keeping the same price would've done it, I think.

Squeezol said:
freebs2 said:
Simply no.
The 3D screen, made console more expansive, and more complicate. To have the 3DS effect Nintendo decided to sacrifice on more more important aspects, like portability, battery life, construction quality. About the 3D effect parents were indifferent in the best case, and cautious in the worst case. So no, the 3D effect was a wrong idea and the console was bombing hard before a big and unhealthy price cut and Mario Land / Kart saved it.

I must say that the price cut + Land and Kart helped a lot but the price cut was way too big. Just bundling the 3DS with a game and keeping the same price would've done it, I think.

Sorry, I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think you remember how badly the system was selling before the pricecut.

The 3D feature is supposed to make games feel more immersive, and immersion is not what drives portable; portable gaming is supposed to be accessible, quick and affordable, for "immersive" gaming you have home consoles already. That's why both 3DS and PsVita are doing soo poorly against mobile gaming, because they're both designed for "immersive" gaming.

Nintendo itself said that, according to their reseraches, people mostly play 3DS at home. This is clearly a pathological situation for an handled, because on the other hand I see a lot of people play on smartphones in public places. 

If they want to become very popular again, rather than gradually becoming less relevent, Nintendo should to think of a compromise between low-quality free (or almost free) apps and higher quality more expansive former handled gaming, and they have to do it with accessibilty in mind rather than "immersion" or expansive gimmicks.

edit: Anyway I have a 3DS and I like it a lot, but still I don't see 3D as a wise move.

freebs2 said:
Squeezol said:
freebs2 said:
Simply no.

Sorry, I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think you remember how badly the system was selling before the pricecut.

Yeah, that was kinda a really important thing I forgot. I still think the pricecut was too big but a price cut was neccesary.

The only reason the 3DS got the games, like Kingdom Hearts 3D & Metal Gear Solid 3D & Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D & Monster Hunter 4 & so fort, is becuase of the 3D effect.

Even Tetris Axis is only made because of 3D & 3D Augmented Reality.

CastleVania was becuase of the beautiful 3D display, according to Koonami.

Around the Network

In my opinion 3D was a fad a bunch of movie companies were trying to hype up, but no one really cared :P. I mean it's cool, but once again it just hikes up the price, and the 3DS was basically garbage till we got some good games, specially 2013

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

As someone who has seen one and only one 3D movie in the past five years, I get more use out of the 3D effect than I thought I would. I sort of go through phases with it, sometimes using it often, sometimes not at all. Now that I think about it, I've spent a lot of time playing DS games on my 3DS, which probably skews my perception of how often I use the 3D effect during 3DS games.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I like the 3D effect. It helps that it feels like an extra feature and not the reason I bought the system, sort of like StreetPass.

freebs2 said:

It's a curious thing, how people remember the 3DS's launch struggles. Everyone can tell you that it was selling poorly. But I wonder how many can put it into perspective properly.

The 3DS averaged about 87,500 weekly global hardware sales from May through July 2011. This is more than the Wii U and Vita combined averaged this past April.

I think that people tend to remember the 3DS selling poorly, but not exactly how poorly it was selling. It doesn't seem so bad anymore!

greencactaur said:
In my opinion 3D was a fad a bunch of movie companies were trying to hype up, but no one really cared :P. I mean it's cool, but once again it just hikes up the price, and the 3DS was basically garbage till we got some good games, specially 2013 <3.

Says the person who never played games in 3D, nor seen such 3D Movies as:

The Great Gatsby

Need for Speed

The Amazing Spider-Man 1

The Hobbit 2

Pacific Rim

The Wolverine

I, Frankenstein

R.I.P.D.

Tron Legacy

Alice in Wonderland

Plus 3D gives way more clearity & anti-aliasing then HD could ever do.

HD is just marketing gimmick they are trying to brand to us to sell a million TVs over nothing, like 720p TV & 1080p TV & 4K TV & the upcoming 8K TV.

3D (stereoscopic) > Surround Sound (3D Sound) > Color > HD

HD has always been the most useless gimmick of all. We get a way more better image quality with 3D with a fraction of the resolution HD has. That's why all 1st party IMAX Movies are in 3D.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nope, the 3DS was doing terribly at the start so hype for the 3D feature certainly wasn't a factor in it's later success. Games and price cuts were, the price cuts may not have even been neccesary if it had no 3D and was therefore cheaper to start with.

Also you say children wanted the 3D feature. Even though it says it shouldn't be used for children and there were a few big stories about that before release?

Nope the Nintendo 3DS shipped 3.61 million in its 1st month, which is really impressive.

Nintendo just overestimated how they would shipped by 0.39 million. They had even more higher hopes then high hopes for the handheld launch.

The 3DS released on February instead of November. But once it reached its first Holiday, it got its first Holiday's sales.