By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Lucasfilm axes the Star Wars EU

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

Before the announcement, there used to be multiple tiers of SW canon. Now there is only one canon: the six movies, plus Clone Wars, while the rest has been tossed to non-canon. The entire EU is now little more than glorified fan fiction, to the despair of the hardcore fans and the delight of those who, like me, hated those books and their overpowered mary sues and the poorly written plots.

So, KOTOR and the Timothy Zahn books are dead, but at least Chewbacca lives . So... hooray?

Around the Network

Too bad. They should have axed Episodes 1-3 instead.

I dunno about all the other EU shit, but the Thrawn trilogy was awesome.

You know what should be cannon? That BioWare MMO. The built an amazing universe.

pokoko said:
You know what should be cannon? That BioWare MMO. The built an amazing universe.

Do you mean the part about levying a special tax against gay people and sequestering them to their own planet? :O

I don't care what they say. Thrawn Trilogy is more official for me than Ep. 1-3.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
pokoko said:

Do you mean the part about levying a special tax against gay people and sequestering them to their own planet? :O

Whoa, I thought that was Arizona?

I actually stopped playing before that went down.  My female Bounty Hunter only romanced her assistant, Mako, in my imagination.

Good.

pokoko said:

Whoa, I thought that was Arizona?

Hey Bioware! It's Old Republic, not Old Republican! Lawlz!

Good, 90% of it was garbage. Now that all of the fanfiction writers are out of the picture, everything is George Lucas's fault again as it should be.

I heard they were going to keep some of the good stuff from the EU. I hope that includes Zahn, that guys is hands-down the best writer who has ever tackled Star Wars. Even if they want to undo the stories he wrote before, it would be great if they brought him in to write new ones. James Luceno is back, and he was one of the more tolerable writers, so they're not off to a bad start yet.

Also it's kind of sad to think that Shadows of the Empire is now non-canon. But for every Shadows of the Empire, there are three Children of the Jedi / Darksaber / Dark Nest / etc books that are now kindling, which feels refreshing. And don't even get me started on Legacy of the Force. Thank Walt that's gone forever.

As much as I love some of the expanded universe material, the sheer amount of canonical stuff was overwhelming and, often, contradictory. Lucas rubber stamped pretty much everything.