By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One production may slow down or stop to give retailers a chance to shift inventory

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

McGran said:

Not sure everyone thought it would be a great achievement but it did at least let us know the benchmark for success Sony was setting itself.  In hindsight, given the actual performance, it looks like quite a soft target.  Therefore from today's perspective it doesn't look that great for MS even though they achieved the target Sony had set.

Yes it's a bit harsh on MS since they are performing well and are still tracking ahead of the X360.  It's just the PS4 has set the new benchmark for success and Xbone can't match it right now, so by comparison it looks bad.  It's not unique to gaming, it's just human nature.  If your football team is having its best season ever that's great, but if they're still trailing far behind their local rivals it's just not going to seem that great after all.

Sony has never used shipped numbers for the performance of the PS4, they did with the PS3 I believe.

That being said, their prediction was 5 million SOLD, not shipped by March. It is April 25 and MS is still sub 5 million sold.

Since they started reporting PS4 sales they have been very clear that the numbers are 'sold through'.  As you say, with the PS3 sales meant 'sales in' or shipped.

When this was announced there was no clear "we mean sell through" so I tend to believe that the laguage being used at that time was consistent with the language being used for PS3 sales, ie shipped, not sold through.  From what I saw, most reporting outlets also took the 5m to be a shipped target, hence their comparison the PS3's 3.55m over the same fiscal period.

Not that it really matters either way but I don't think it's unreasonable throw the MS supporters a bone on this one and say MS got close to (or hit) the original Sony forecast.

Around the Network

when MS annunced 5m shipped, i said in the thread celebrating it lets see how shipments look next quarter because all the retailer discounts didnt bode well that sell through was good. Xb1 had tons of stock before titanfall... then MS shipped more titanfall bundles than titanfall sold meaning more stock. Tht resulted in the retailer discounts. Now, can we get my thread unlocked yet that stated MS wasnt happy with sales?

McGran said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

McGran said:

Not sure everyone thought it would be a great achievement but it did at least let us know the benchmark for success Sony was setting itself.  In hindsight, given the actual performance, it looks like quite a soft target.  Therefore from today's perspective it doesn't look that great for MS even though they achieved the target Sony had set.

Yes it's a bit harsh on MS since they are performing well and are still tracking ahead of the X360.  It's just the PS4 has set the new benchmark for success and Xbone can't match it right now, so by comparison it looks bad.  It's not unique to gaming, it's just human nature.  If your football team is having its best season ever that's great, but if they're still trailing far behind their local rivals it's just not going to seem that great after all.

Sony has never used shipped numbers for the performance of the PS4, they did with the PS3 I believe.

That being said, their prediction was 5 million SOLD, not shipped by March. It is April 25 and MS is still sub 5 million sold.

Since they started reporting PS4 sales they have been very clear that the numbers are 'sold through'.  As you say, with the PS3 sales meant 'sales in' or shipped.

When this was announced there was no clear "we mean sell through" so I tend to believe that the laguage being used at that time was consistent with the language being used for PS3 sales, ie shipped, not sold through.  From what I saw, most reporting outlets also took the 5m to be a shipped target, hence their comparison the PS3's 3.55m over the same fiscal period.

Not that it really matters either way but I don't think it's unreasonable throw the MS supporters a bone on this one and say MS got close to (or hit) the original Sony forecast.

Very well then.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Max King of the Wild said:
when MS annunced 5m shipped, i said in the thread celebrating it lets see how shipments look next quarter because all the retailer discounts didnt bode well that sell through was good. Xb1 had tons of stock before titanfall... then MS shipped more titanfall bundles than titanfall sold meaning more stock. Tht resulted in the retailer discounts. Now, can we get my thread unlocked yet that stated MS wasnt happy with sales?

werent you saying that MS send some employees to turn some old stock into TitanFall bundles? 

bananaking21 said:

werent you saying that MS send some employees to turn some old stock into TitanFall bundles? 

your geting twothings mixed. Titanfall bundles were old stock that MS put a downloaded code in and paperish sleeve of the box art around. The employee however turned old stck into forza bundle

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

your geting twothings mixed. Titanfall bundles were old stock that MS put a downloaded code in and paperish sleeve of the box art around. The employee however turned old stck into forza bundle

so just to get things straight. when you say titanfall bundles were old stock. do you mean old stock that MS didnt ship yet, or stock that you already had? 

ironmanDX said:
celador said:
daredevil.shark said:
Nothing unusal. Normal business practice to manage inventory. BTW microsoft seemed to shipped a lot than planned.

I think it's a common theme with Xbox One.  Historically nothing to worry about, it just looks like a big issue when compared to PS4.

This. 

Also, yield issues!

They produced 2.5mill less than Sony for the same time period, thk god for them the X1 fell flat after the launch or they be supply constrained as a motherfucker ;)

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

bananaking21 said:
bananaking21 said:

so just to get things straight. when you say titanfall bundles were old stock. do you mean old stock that MS didnt ship yet, or stock that you already had? 

in january retail sent excessive stock back to ms. i assume thats what they used

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
McGran said:

snip

Very well then.

A picture paints a thousand words.

ktay95 said:
fauzman said:
I dont get it. If MS has so much X1 stock, why dont they launch in the 50 or whatever number of countries they have yet to officially launch in? Seems like a waste.

You cant launch in a country without first having their language supported by Kinect... otherwise the XBO is pointless. What are you meant to do without Kinect??

Well, I just found that this is not true:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/25/five-months-later-some-xbox-one-territories-still-missing-voice-commands.aspx

"Austria, Ireland, and New Zealand, all launch territories, still do not have functioning voice commands."