By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the quality of PS+ Free Games going down?

Mr Puggsly said:
EB1994 said:
Sure, let's forget we got Batman Arkham City last month lol.

That's game is old. What are we talking about here? Game For Gold? Remember Me and Metro Last Light were much more notable releases.

I was told more subscribers is more money, therefore better games. This month though... meh.

I think Sony is still going to pepper in a notable release here and there. Just less often.

I think the reason (this is only my theory) the PS3 releases have been toned down is because the PS4 library is so paltry at the moment. I've been on my PS4 for nearly 2 months now and I thoroughly miss the 20+ games I got from PS+ on my PS3.

Around the Network
EB1994 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
EB1994 said:
Sure, let's forget we got Batman Arkham City last month lol.

That's game is... old. That would be acceptable for Games For Gold release. Remember Me and Metro Last Light were much more notable releases.

I was told more subscribers is more, therefore better games. This month though... meh.

I think Sony is still going to pepper in a notable release here and there. Just less often.

Bioshock Infinite was released in Feb for PS Plus. Also, I'd rather have Batman Arkham City han Remember Me...Just because the game is new doesn't mean it's good. BTW, Puppeteer is a better game than Remember Me, so it would mean the quality of games is going up.

I mean the quality as in the effort they're making to acquire notable games.  I don't think Batman Arkham City is the finest hour of the service given is an older game that can be found cheap.

Now May looks like they put no effort. I still anticipate notable releases in the future by the way. I'm just expecting them less often.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

HipHopGodd said:
Not across the board. But PS4's PS+ has bee atrocious thus far. I know it's still early in the life cycle but I was expecting the games to be at least enjoyable. The only enjoyable game for PS4 PS+ so far is Dead Nation and I had that game on PS3 and had to rebuy it on PS4. Still, I know future releases will make it worthwhile. PS+ started weak on PS3 as well.

I was kinda partial to Outlast, myself.

I think PS+ is gonna start sucking across the board aside from the discounts.  Why?  Because it doesn't have to be awesome anymore.  When Sony needed the cash and the support, there was incentive to throw everything but the kitchen sink at players.  Now, Sony is on track to become the only game in town.  What reason do they have to keep tossing top tier games at gamers?  Anybody with a PS3 is on borrowed time, anybody with a Vita is negligable, and anybody with a PS4 is gonna have to pay for online anyway.  Unless Xbox One becomes a threat, there just isn't much reason to try anymore.  

Playstation is gonna be like a fighter with no reason to train hard because they've beaten everybody.  This is just the beginning.  Competition brings out the best in everyone.

Mr Puggsly said:

But it seems to me the they're throwing less money at developers for quality Free Games even though the service is more profitable than ever.

That might have something to do with that.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Puppeteer came out how long ago? It's also one if the best games of last year.

Around the Network

That is the real flaw with PS+, the games you get free won't always appeal to you or you will already own them. I look at Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, and Batman Arkham City as great free games, however I already owned them before getting them on PS+. I think the PS3 offerings over the last year or so have been great considering we are paying jack shit for the service.

The PS4 offerings haven't been amazing, but what do you expect when the console just released? They aren't giving us retail games that are still pulling in $60 just yet. We are mostly getting indie games at the moment, but that is alright with me because they have been good indie games and not shovelware. I am enjoying Don't Starve, Steamworld Dig, and Merc Kings. Dead Nation, yes we already got it, but it still has some improvements in this release and its free so not a bad choice either.

Give it a couple of months and I guarantee we see things like Killzone: Shadowfall or other early releases appear on PS+, even if it just the multiplayer.

Did you ever stop to think, maybe the games we've been getting have been too good? Maybe Sony has been too good to us already, and now when we get a game we've never heard of, or thats only $10, or under 80 on metacritic we feel ripped off.

Fusioncode said:

Every now and then they have a slow month, but recently we've gotten Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham City, DMC Devil May Cry,, Kingdms of Amalur, Borderlands, and so on. So no I don't think the quality is slowing down in any way.

Pretty much this. Just the amount of awesome backlog I have from the games I got this year is massive.

They have a little slow month here and there, but overall the quality has never declined. That's given I don't expect Sony to give out AAA title for PS4 like some people do. That's just unrealistic.

Tomb raider reboot and bioshock infinite so close to each other.

I would say nooooooo

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Puppeteer already make it a great month... so no.

batman arkham city last month... actually it seems to be greatly improving... june and august will be amazing as well since they are usually the biggest and best months for ps+ users in the past.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date