By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will mario kart wii (finally) go that extra mile?

Of course, there is a lot of hype for this game. It's a mario kart title. Everyone knows mario and most people are fans of his kart racing antics. 

As a wii owner and fan of the original title and mario kart 64, I have to admit I am looking forward to this game. There is one thing that stands in the way of me feeling that everything's fine and the next installment will be fun to play. That thing :::braces for impact::: is double dash. I know fans everyone love the game but I really can't see it. I'm pretty sure if you removed the mario characters and replaced them with stock characters then the view of the game would be much different. 

I really have to agree with IGN when they 7.9d it. It was slow, it added little new to the series, it still had only 16 race tracks, and the battle arena stages were terrible. Not a bad overall experience, but nothing that makes me think that mario kart wii will be one of the top ten games of the year. 

To be fair, the numbers for the new game are looking strong. 12 player online, 32 stages, probably around 2 dozen characters. So hopefully this time around, it will feel like a true sequel instead of mario kart 64: 3. (Hopefully the rumors of nintendo nerfing the difficulty won't hold water).

Around the Network

well, I liked MK:DD, and a 7.9 really isn't that bad of a score (I don't know what MK64 got though). I think MK64 had a much better battle mode, but i'm undecided on which had the better race mode.

However, MK:Wii looks really good so far. Even though 16 stages are old, I have never played a portable version of the game, so those tracks will also be new to me. Also, I like that they are back to 1 person per kart. So long as they nail the controls with the remote, then this will definitely be a top 10 game this year.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Considering I skipped out on MK:DD, MK:Wii will be a very fresh experience for me I think.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

i only have 64 but this i`m buying for sure dunno why i just love mario kart

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

MK: Wii will go above and beyond.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Never tried DD either, BUT MARIO KART WII will be THE BEST MARIO KART EVER (IMO)

As long as it has block fort in battle mode than it'll be a great game.

I hope there aren't too many throw away characters:

baby peach, baby luigi, waluigi, toadette, daisy, bowser jr are all very lazy spin offs.

Come on shy guy.

i dont know why but i have a feeling this will be the best in the series

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I didn't like DD at all and the game felt slapped together and half done and still feel the only reason it sold like it did was mario's face and if it didn't have mario's characters to familiarize people with the game who liked it may have realized how mediocre it really was.

I love the series but feel they have big shoes to fill to top the DS version and erase that gimmicky 2 player cart thing in DD from my memory and none of the tracks were that memorable in DD.

I hope the Wii game keeps up the DS idea though of new tracks mixed with Retro tacks.