By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are third parties skipping Nintendo out of spite?

marley said:
KylieDog said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
KylieDog said:

That excuse doesn't work when you take into account the last 4 Nintendo consoles all having this problem. 

Wasn't it difficult for 3rd parties to develop on N64? Also, the Gamecube's lack of successful 3rd party games is thanks to Nintendo's 1st party games, same with Wii and Wii U. In order to "win" back the missing support, they have to create new games using different genres (FPS, Sports simulators, 3PS) to prove they can appeal to the "core" gamers.

N64 - Nintendo used carts because it suited them, they didn't need much memory for their games and they made the carts so got them cheaper than third parties + got their console owner cut from sales to lessen cost, it all favoured Nintendo and nobody else.  Third parties flocked to PS1 with CDs that cost MUCH less and gave them more memory for the types of games they made.

GC - Nintendo used low memory GC discs because too cheap to pay a DVD license fee, didn't matter to Nintendo because most of their games don't use a lot of memory.  Third parties flocked to PS2 using DVD with more memory because it allowed them to make the sort of game they wanted, and even Xbox (so no blaming install base for why few GC games, because Xbox install base sucked too).

Wii - Went for a heavily underpowered console and abnormal controller because it suited them.  Again third parties went to other consoles because those offered what was needed for the games they wanted to make.

WiiU - Underpowered console again, again third parties going for the more powerful hardware because those let them make the games the want.

If you want thid party support, you need give them a reason to make games for your console.  Nintendo gives third parties reasons not to.

I doubt 3rd parties are deciding to avoid Nintendo's hardware because of a lack of power.  If that were the case, they wouldn't be making mobile games...

I'm sure the decision is rooted in the financial world and has nothing to do with the system's power.

Well I'm fairly certain if the WiiU's power was closer to the Xbone and PS4 than PS360, with the same architecture, it would get a lot more 3rd party suport despite its lower installbase. The Division, AC Unity, Batman Arkham Knight etc are made with 8GB ram in mind, these would've skipped the WiiU no matter if it was another Wii like success

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Dunno about 3DS, but I don't find any bussiness sense to release on Wii U.

Most Western third parties focus on consoles since they're bigger than handhelds here. It's why Japanese third parties focus on handhelds more than consoles.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Thing with WiiU is they voted with their wallets and said we don't want third party games :C. I mean look at the sales you have AC4 and such doing like 100k and then like 1-2mill on the xbox/ps.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

It could be because of the CPU architecture or because of the intellectual property of Nintendo. I don't really know the answer.

KylieDog said:

N64 - Nintendo used carts because it suited them, they didn't need much memory for their games and they made the carts so got them cheaper than third parties + got their console owner cut from sales to lessen cost, it all favoured Nintendo and nobody else.  Third parties flocked to PS1 with CDs that cost MUCH less and gave them more memory for the types of games they made.

GC - Nintendo used low memory GC discs because too cheap to pay a DVD license fee, didn't matter to Nintendo because most of their games don't use a lot of memory.  Third parties flocked to PS2 using DVD with more memory because it allowed them to make the sort of game they wanted, and even Xbox (so no blaming install base for why few GC games, because Xbox install base sucked too).

Wii - Went for a heavily underpowered console and abnormal controller because it suited them.  Again third parties went to other consoles because those offered what was needed for the games they wanted to make.

WiiU - Underpowered console again, again third parties going for the more powerful hardware because those let them make the games the want.

If you want thid party support, you need give them a reason to make games for your console.  Nintendo gives third parties reasons not to.

Great synopsis. I'd add the main reason Nintendo got the support it did in NES and SNES era was it was either only game in town or dominant system.  Nintendo has always done their own thing regardless of market trends and a consequence of that mentality has been many companies do not bother.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Pavolink said:
Dunno about 3DS, but I don't find any bussiness sense to release on Wii U.

Most Western third parties focus on consoles since they're bigger than handhelds here. It's why Japanese third parties focus on handhelds more than consoles.

I think this explains very well.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Why would they? They just don't see a chance to make their investments back, and they're probably right :/
3rd party support is over for Wii U, I'm afraid. If you assume a standard 5 years life cycle and factor in how long an AAA game takes to develop...

Such a weird situation for Wii U. Sales figures are awful, but retailers have long given up on igniting interest with deals and price cuts. Nintendo won't lower the wholesale price either. As a result the price is stable, yet nobody buys. Normally retailers would just stop selling it... they don't because of Nintendo's good reputation. But Mario Kart 8 is their last chance. If MK8 can't turn things around they'll have to cut the price heavily, GameCube style.

It's a mistake to not offer an MK8 bundle, by the way. Yes they'd lose money, but Wii U NEEDS a compelling offer for an impulse buy. One box to just pick up.

Soundwave said:
VanceIX said:
EA certainly is.

Some devs just don't want to spend cash to develop for such a different platform, when games wouldn't sell as much, as sad as that is

This is a like a guy lamenting "I guess girls just don't want to date a guy who's a jerk on top of not having as much going for him in life, as sad as that is", acting as if he's in the right, lol. 

Uhhh .... no sh*t? Why should devs spend cash on platforms where their games sell less? 

This is a business not a pre-school class where you're awarded a trophy for being a special snowflake because you're different. 

VanceIX said:
outlawauron said:
VanceIX said:
EA certainly is.

Some devs just don't want to spend cash to develop for such a different platform, when games wouldn't sell as much, as sad as that is

How is it sad? They care about how much money they can make, not which platform the money is made on. This is reality in all industries.

Sad for Wii U owners, not for the company. I understand their priority is making money. 

Next time, before spouting profanities at me, read the whole thread, or at least the page. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

greencactaur said:
Thing with WiiU is they voted with their wallets and said we don't want third party games :C. I mean look at the sales you have AC4 and such doing like 100k and then like 1-2mill on the xbox/ps.

But do they give us a reason to buy AC4 (or games like it, speaking in general here). Late DLC/No DLC, missing features, poorly optimized for the hardware. There have been few (any?) cases where the Wii U version was the version to own.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

KylieDog said:
Nintendos fault, Sony and MS went to devs and asked what they wanted in a console so now they get support. Nintendo just did what they wanted with nobodies input and made the wrong console, they've done it 4 home systems in a row now and each time they lose more and more third party support.

They will not learn.

Yeah "they never learn "when all their hardware makes them a profit all 4 machines you mentioned ,but all Sony and Microsoft hardware lost billions of dollars in that same time frame ......you must remember hardware sales are not as important as software sells and nintendo with their first party sales are all profit no middle man as with 3rd parties ...a console does not make as much money on 3rd parties...example...mario kart is published ,developed by nintendo all sales is 100 percent for nintendo...whereas grand theft auto series which is property of rockstar the majority of the profits goes to rockstar not Sony or Microsoft ...why do you think each of the  big 3 heavily relies on their first party for sales like halo,gran turismo ,mario kart etc because them first party games brings huge profits why do you think nintendo makes billions  nintendo made billions not just because the wii sold one hundred million but because their first part software ( mario kart wii,34 million,wii fit.20 plus million ,wii sports 80 million ,smash 12 million all of this is all profits no middle man also accessories makes millions ...wii fit board,wii remote,wii wheel ,wii golf clubs etc just saying