By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scientists prove: US is oligarchy, not democracy

IF the US is an oligarchy, would YOUR OWN country qualify as one too?

Yes 101 49.75%

No 39 19.21%

I like turtles / Show results 59 29.06%

Total:199

the2real4mafol said:
All I know is oligarchy is good for one thing at least from a conservative prospective. It is good at preventing progress from happening even where it is common sense to move on. Stuff like abortion and other women's rights should not be even discussed in the 21st century, they should be accepted for what they are. The same with the drugs issue and action for climate change.

Really? Because it seems to me that the more oligarchical we've become, the more "progressive" we've become (and vice versa).

Around the Network

This is hardly breaking news.

that is true, and the sad thing is, that in most countries is the same thing.

Democracy is a lie, in the end the people with power (money) makes what they want.

Heavenly_King said:
that is true, and the sad thing is, that in most countries is the same thing.

Democracy is a lie, in the end the people with power (money) makes what they want.

Democracy is not a lie... Just pricks like USA and Russia label themself... Like they are but arent.

Look at France, Germany, Italy and even my country Croatia. If you piss of the people you're fucked.

I hope USA, Russia, China and UK nuke each other.

I am from Stwitzerland in which category is my country ?

Around the Network

I am asking that because I really feel that in my country the population has much more power that in France or in the European union

(exepet maybe some nordic countries)

@COX
Your country is extremely democratic while living standard is high so no wonder.

Too bad that is discriminative towards foreigners and fascists.

I consider my own country (Norway) to be fairly democratic. Even though we also have a representative democracy, the representatives mostly vote for what the party they belong to would vote for. Also in Norway the power is split between more than just two parties so we have more varied options to choose from (and therefore a bigger chance to find a party you agree with, instead of the highly polarized US) when we are voting.

hated_individual said:
@COX
Your country is extremely democratic while living standard is high so no wonder.

Too bad that is discriminative towards foreigners and fascists.

I know why you are saying that but you are talking about something that you can't understand if you don't live in the country. The big problem that we have in Switzerland is because a lot of people work in the country but don't live in. These people work for a lower salary because in France for example the cost of living is lower. So swiss people can't compete because they can't live in their own country with the same salary that french worker living in France. So it became more and more difficult for a swiss resident to find a job with a decent salary when others accepted to work for less.  In addition, french borders don't spend their salary in the country but in France, use our public services, they used to use all our parkings (in Geneva) at the point that now is forbidden for everybody (include swiss people) to park in a lot of areas more than 30 minutes if they don't live in the vicinity. For example, in my old work I couldn't find a parking space for the day but just for 30 minutes because I lived in an another district (despite of paying taxes for this kind of public services) but my company allowed my french colleagues to use their parking spaces but not the people living in swiss.  

This is just a summary of the problem because the borders affect our lives in many different ways but swiss people don't have problems with the foreigners inside of the country just with the borders that take advantage of the situation. I am against this new law in our country but I don't think that the majority of swiss are racicst but just tired. Nevertheless, I don't think that borders are the real problem but I believe that it is the companies which create inequalities between borders and Swiss resident workers.