By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Post NPD fallout: The central question imo is if a X1 that was cheaper than PS4 would outsell PS4

A $400 XBO will outsell PS4. Everyone I know with a X360 is waiting for a price drop and worthwhile games. There is no need for a hard price drop, they are selling very well at the current price point. A $349 XBO would outsell PS4 even more, but a drop for PS4 to $349 would even out sales. I have a feeling this gen will turn out much like last gen unless one system does/has something that makes a great difference(no not the difference between 1080 and 900p people dont notice that shit unless you are a gaming loser) there wont be much of a market shift.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
askel50 said:
vivster said:
Wasn't the X1 cheaper in US than the PS4 this month? If you take into account the free game it was. And look at the giant push it got from that.

Even if it was (and I don't think it was) it doesn't matter. It's the entry price that counts.

I'm not sure about that. AFAIK market strategy and behavioral analysis claim people do prefer to think and feel they've got something for free rather than get a price discount.

I'm fairly certain that only applies to sales.

PS4 was still cheaper than the $450 Titanfall bundle, so unless you were planning on buying Tiatnfall in the first place or have a strong interest in Kinect (which evidently only Xbox One owners do), PS4 was still the cheaper console.

I think the only way that the XBO can compete with PS4 is the way PS3 competed with X360. By having quality, quantity, and range of exclusives not available on X360. The XBO is not in the same boat as Wii U because it will still be getting many of the 3rd party ports and they ports are mostly the same game despite some minor native to upscaled resolution differences.

Oh, MS must absolutely remove the Kinect as forced inclusion before someone like me even considers getting XBO regardless of cost.

Like they could have XBO with Kinect for $350 and XBO without Kinect for $450, and I would choose the $450 one without the Kinect. I want nothing to do with Kinect. Once on the X360 was enough for me.

vivster said:
CommonNinja said:
vivster said:
It's basically what I said from the beginning. Price isn't the X1s biggest problem. It might not even be the second biggest problem. So a price cut alone won't do shit. See WiiU for reference.

Losing Kinect would be a bad move. It would push the value even lower than it is now. People who buy the X1 for its exclusives will buy it at any price. People who don't care about the exclusives will buy the better system. There's really not much reason to choose a kinectless X1 for 350 over a PS4 if you don't already care about Xbox games.

Wii U was a different situation, there were barely any games that came out for it until the end of it's first year.  Simply put, People just didn't really have a very good reason to own one. 

Xbox One on the other hand will be able to play all the latest multiplatform games, has a verry healthy list of exclusives already out (DR3, Forza5, KI, Ryse, PvZ: GW, and Titanfall), with plenty more on the way later this year (Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and Halo).  So the fact that it still isn't selling well is purely down to it's price.  While it is being discounted at a lot of stores, most people aren't aware of it as the retailers arn't allowed to advertise the price.

You say people will buy it for thier exclusives at any price, but my best friend hasn't bought it yet simply because he can't afford it!  He is just sticking with his 360 until the price drops.

Also, if MS mad a kinectless X1 that was cheaper than the PS4, people would have a reason to buy it for Multiplats because it is cheaper than PS4.  

Not everybody cares as much about resolution as us hardcore gamers.

I know customers are stupid but are they really THAT stupid? I think this bargaining over a few bucks for a console is absolutely ridiculous. The expenses for games absolutely dwarf any price of a console. For an investment that will pay off for at least 5 years 50 or even a hundred bucks are nothing.

What's left is the public perception of the console. The average consumer might not care about resolutions and stuff but word of mouth travels fast and the press showed overwhelming praise for the PS4. On the Xbox side the controversy amongst the gamer community was so bad that it even reached the mainstream populace. So what would you buy? A cheaper product that you once heard bad stuff about or that other product which is 50 bucks more expensive but universally praised?

Would your friend buy the X1 without Kinect if it were 50 bucks cheaper?

Well thats just the thing, he doesn't even care about PS4 becaues it doesn't have halo, he WANTS an XB1, just doesn't have enough money for it yet.

500$ is a lot to most people, and I know people out there who are interested in the Xbox One, but are just waiting for it to get cheaper to buy it.

CommonNinja said:

500$ is a lot to most people, and I know people out there who are interested in the Xbox One, but are just waiting for it to get cheaper to buy it.

Who you kidding.

It just was $450 with a game and a years worth of Gold, thats better value then any price cut MS will do for the next 12 months easy.  You got a unofficial 50 cut and $110 worth of stuff.  Thats 160 less then your 500.  What not cheap enought yet. 

Around the Network
CDiablo said:

A $400 XBO will outsell PS4. Everyone I know with a X360 is waiting for a price drop and worthwhile games. There is no need for a hard price drop, they are selling very well at the current price point. A $349 XBO would outsell PS4 even more, but a drop for PS4 to $349 would even out sales. I have a feeling this gen will turn out much like last gen unless one system does/has something that makes a great difference(no not the difference between 1080 and 900p people dont notice that shit unless you are a gaming loser) there wont be much of a market shift.

Buddy there was bundle for 450 with TF and one years of gold, add subtract and X1 price was 340.  Still got sparked by PS4 in NA sales wise. 

There already was a massive market shift when PS4 took a small majority of US market comapred to last gen. 

Microsoft need to lead in USA by a healthy margin and in other english speaking countries just to keep at the same level, as PS4 dominates everywhere else. As consumers its in all our interests that there is healthy competition. Even ps4 fans must realise without xbone prices will increase and Sony will have less reasons to give consumers value.

However I believe it will be difficult for Microsoft and maintaining a price advantage is critical to success. Personally at this point I'm not interested in either, simply not enough games for me. In Japan its even worse with the ps4 having a poor selection of titles that would be popular in japan so I can't see that improving for a while.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how it all turns out and who wins. Unlike others I can't seem to find any loyalty for a particular brand of console, Yes I like to moan about the wii u's rubbish spec and some of the compromises made in the xbone spec but ultimately at some point in the future I will own all three consoles and enjoy games on all of them (already have wii u). I just hope Microsoft is keeps biting at Sony's ankles and stops a Sony monopoly happening but I fear this generation may go to ps4.

MS would scrap the Xbone a million times before dropping the price to $349 or $300 within the first year or 18 months. Come to think of it, I believe they will scrap it nonetheless.

$349 would probably bring it to match the ps4's sales in the UK and NA, whilst $299 would guarantee them a win in the UK and NA. If they don't get rid of the kinect though then the losses will be massive. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I think in the US and UK it would go ahead for a while, but PS4 would go back on top after and worldwide PS4 is still gonna outsell it.