By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [Staff] The gamrConnect Community and How We View Avatars and Signatures

Tagged games:

naruball said:
outlawauron said:

By this line of thinking, your signature also needs to go. 

Considering the fact that I twice mentioned on this thread that if the mods think it should be removed, they should either tell me or feel free to remove it themselves, I don't see the issue here. 

I don't think you need to be calling out others either. If you feel someone's avatar or signature is out of line, just report it and leave it at that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
tbh my sig can be watched primetime on any tv network

Do you watch primetime tv at work?  

gergroy said:
kirby007 said:

same reasoning applies for internetting at work, doesn't it?

i'm more worried about the kids and pegi rating, which is why i reffered towards the show in my sig approved for primetime television

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

outlawauron said:
naruball said:
outlawauron said:

By this line of thinking, your signature also needs to go. 

Considering the fact that I twice mentioned on this thread that if the mods think it should be removed, they should either tell me or feel free to remove it themselves, I don't see the issue here. 

I don't think you need to be calling out others either. If you feel someone's avatar or signature is out of line, just report it and leave it at that.

I'm not calling people out. I'm using examples for a general problem that exists here. I have nothing against anyone. This a specific thread on this topic. It's the appropriate place to discuss this specific matter. 

kirby007 said:
gergroy said:
kirby007 said:

i'm more worried about the kids and pegi rating, which is why i reffered towards the show in my sig approved for primetime television

I strongly disagree with this argument. There are sex scenes even in soap operas. And on certain shows, like desperate housewives, they show butt naked men. It doesn't make it ok. All pg 13.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Axumes' Trucks, Nyanks, Carls, avatars need to go as well. Especially the half naked men. They offend me and my girlfriend wonder what I am doing.Please handle soon Smeagsy.

^_^ <3

"You can still have a beautiful woman in a swimsuit, but ask yourself this: Is this picture's goal to get a sexual response from the viewer? If it is, then it's not VGChartz material."

It depends on the context. A woman on a beach taking off her bikini top will be looked at in a different light to someone doing cosplay and showing a bit of cleavage. A picture of Katy Perry, topless, grabbing her tits will be looked at in a different light to a picture of a videogame character.

Certain avatars have been looked at and its been decided that they were "over the line". Yours was one of them. More are to come.

So cosplay with cleavage is okay? Guys, we have found our loophole!

@Jizz, I agree and fully support you. There's inconsistency with this new rule.

I remember VGC enforcing this a few years ago, and it worked for a few months. The borderline avatars (male, females) were getting a little out of hand as of late, so I'm a little glad they're enforcing it again. If anyone thinks my sig is NSFW?, let me know. I was thinking of getting something Marvel related for a while now, so this might motivate me on getting that Marvel sig.

naruball said:
kirby007 said:
gergroy said:
kirby007 said:

I strongly disagree with this argument. There are sex scenes even in soap operas. And on certain shows, like desperate housewives, they show butt naked men. It doesn't make it ok. All pg 13.

thats the difference between artistic value or pure for sexual arousement

EDIT: Aside the hypotetical discussion, i don't really mind if it gets removed or not, it would create a chance to bring back the kirby army

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I honestly don't really care that much about any of it except the anime stuff that is blatantly intended to appear under 18, often times well under. It is beyond NSFW, totally f'in nasty, and shouldn't be allowed on a gaming site...especially an all ages one. I know they can be turned off, but that kind of ruins it for the large amount of people that have gaming related and otherwise appropriate avatars and sigs and whatnot.  I haven't been a member for all that long but that stuff seems to be escalating a lot recently.

People still get offended by nudity and sexual content?

Doc, fix the flux capacitor! We're stuck in the '50s!

EDIT: Is my sig safe?

Like we stated in the OP, the reason we're doing this isn't to crack down on any image for the sake of being "offensive" (which is why the word isn't anywhere near the OP. It's a very subjective term that can mean many things to many people.), but to make sure that this site is as accessable as it can be to anyone who wants to visit it.

It's been fun to see the (very) mixed reactions on this subject matter. We know that VGChartz is a diverse site that is home to unique folks with unique views on a plethora of different subjects. We knew going forward that you guys were going to react to this in some way based on those views, and at the end of the day no one is categorically wrong to having any opinion on the matter.

The reality is that the mod team knew that this was an issue that we could improve. Not necessarily the issue of getting rid of all skin or anime or what-not, but the issue of being inconsistent at at times overly leniant in how we carried out rules 5 and 6. And as much as you guys give us invaluable feedback and ideas on how to improve, this is a line that we have to make for ourselves as a cohesive mod unit. That way it cannot waver due to popular opinion or any sway in the community. Like the rest of the rules, you are all subject to them, not the other way around.

This thread was so that we can be as clear and transparent to you all as we possibly can, and just letting you all know of the changes that are being made. Hear this: we know you're all not going to be perfectly happy with the decisions that will now be in place. Just as some of you weren't totally happy before we placed these new guidelines up. It's going to be a work in progress, as like we said before it's not a black/white issue (It's very very grey) but know that this is now an issue that we'll be working on as a team to hopefully better the site.