By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: DRM Boosts Profits and It’s Here to Stay

As long as it's copy protection of discs not share protection I don't care.

If SE wan't to prevent sharing then they should go all digital distribution and zero discs. I'm sure that will work out well for them.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

The reason for DRM is because laws are not effective enough at prosecuting game thieves.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

That's why I won't buy their games at full price with the possible exception of their console games, which generally tend to suck these days. So yeah, I pretty much don't buy any of their games at full price due to their DRM policy which has quite the opposing effect to boosting their profits. And yes, I do realize they probably mean Steam.

I fully agree with them.

As long as the DRM causes little trouble for the legit consumer, it's great.

I don't know if they needed to be so blunt...

but on PC they use the DRM everybody else uses Steam. (IE the DRM that causes little trouble for the consumer)
They have had forrays into crappier DRM like those mobile games. But, so has most companies.

I'd rather havea  company be honest about it. Then be like "We don't use DRM, or this game wouldn't be possible without always online functionality!"

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Remember guys, Steam is DRM. That's why they're saying it works. You keep buying Steam games.

Maybe but how many people actually buy full priced games on it? I never do.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints