By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get an Xbox One or a PS4?

Xbone or Piss4?

Xbox 150 24.59%

Ps4 389 63.77%

Apple Pippin 17 2.79%

Atari Jaguar 35 5.74%

Ask /v/ 19 3.11%

Total:610
EB1994 said:
starcraft said:
lucidium said:

Lets not beat around the bush here, my suggestion is basically neither, as for who spends the money and how much, it isnt up to me to make his moral choices, personally if someone offered to buy me a console i wouldnt accept unless i was already planning to buy them something as costly in the near future too.

so with that in mind:

OP, shame on you, dont waste other peoples money on consoles that arent worth the asking price.

Neither is something I can agree with.

You just seem to have been very vigourously pressing for a console that least suits his needs for someone that is advocating neither

That's not what I got from his comment. Since the OP is definitely going to buy one of the two, he is recommending buying the PS4 because in the near future the X1 will incur price drops that will ultimately make it cheaper than the PS4, thus giving him the most savings from buying both next gen consoles.

But evening ignoring the (incredibly) tenuous and unknowable assumptions involved with that, it makes no sense from a gaming perspective.  Where there is such a clear preference of games, why not you know, buy the console you'll most enjoy for the next several years - instead of delaying that gratification in the vague hope you might save ~$50 if you're super lucky half a decade from now?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

But evening ignoring the (incredibly) tenuous and unknowable assumptions involved with that, it makes no sense from a gaming perspective.  Where there is such a clear preference of games, why not you know, buy the console you'll most enjoy for the next several years - instead of delaying that gratification in the vague hope you might save ~$50 if you're super lucky half a decade from now?

You think the Xbox One is going to still cost $449.99 in 5 years, seriously?
Not even the most ardent of xbox fans are going to agree with you on that one.

Niether, Just stick with the ps3 or x360 for the time being. The PS$ and XboxOne simply arn't worth the money at the moment, and just arnt as fun as the ps3 and 360 yet.
Wait a bit and you might save youself some cash aswell with pricedrops, the xbone has already dropp £100 ($170) in UK.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Sounds like you'll get more out of the Xbox One. Should be the easier choice for you. I would say wait on both until the summer and then decide. Plus, I get the feeling the Xbox one will be getting a price drop soon.

You really are not missing out on much.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

lucidium said:
starcraft said:

No, I imagine if I had said anything like that then they would definitely disagree with me.  Fortunately I did not.

Because for your logic to work, not only would the X1 have to plummet in price between now and five years from now (it will), but the PS4 would have to remain vaguely close to its current price over the same period (it wont).

Around the Network
starcraft said:
lucidium said:
starcraft said:

No, I imagine if I had said anything like that then they would definitely disagree with me.  Fortunately I did not.

Because for your logic to work, not only would the X1 have to plummet in price between now and five years from now (it will), but the PS4 would have to remain vaguely close to its current price over the same period (it wont).

What exactly are you arguing over, then?

With each passing months sales, the prospect of a new SKU sans kinect at a lower price becomes a much greater possibility, if they run with it, do you think it would still cost more than the PS4?, if not then what you end up with is "in the future, the xbox one will be cheaper than the ps4", which is my point.

I'm not seeing what is so hard to understand about it?, other than MAYBE DR3, the only real reason to own an xbox one right now is titanfall, he already has an xbox 360 and bluepoints port of it is more than good enough if he absolutely has to play it.

You are mising up "maximising material gain for the lowest cost" with "pick x because y sux" mentality.

lucidium said:
starcraft said:
lucidium said:
starcraft said:

With each passing months sales, the prospect of a new SKU sans kinect at a lower price becomes a much greater possibility, if they run with it, do you think it would still cost more than the PS4?, if not then what you end up with is "in the future, the xbox one will be cheaper than the ps4", which is my point.

I'm not seeing what is so hard to understand about it?, other than MAYBE DR3, the only real reason to own an xbox one right now is titanfall, he already has an xbox 360 and bluepoints port of it is more than good enough if he absolutely has to play it.

You are mising up "maximising material gain for the lowest cost" with "pick x because y sux" mentality.

I really am not mixing up anything, I am prioritising gaming over cost for someone who has explicitely said that cost is not their primary concern.

A few false assumptions on your part.  Microsoft have explicitely said they are not going to unbundle kinect.  Does that mean it will never happen?  No.  But it certainly does not appear immediate.

Your logic is predicated on saving money, but this can only occur in a substantial way if only the X1 sees substantial price cuts.  If it did, the X1 would immediately and dramatically overhaul the PS4 in the United States (the OPs home) and the PS4 would see similar cuts in short order. 

I recognise that you're attempting to maximise material gain for lowest cost, but your arithmetic is flawed.  Material gain for the gamer in question  is clearly greater in an X1 than a PS4.  Therefore, it would take a very substantial cost differential to outweight this, even if money was an issue which he has stated it is not.  But at best, you can point to a small money differential which is then further diluted over a period of several years. I know what your intention is, I am not accusing you of being a fanboy.  I just feel that you're incorrectly applying your own logic.

starcraft said:

I really am not mixing up anything, I am prioritising gaming over cost for someone who has explicitely said that cost is not their primary concern.

A few false assumptions on your part.  Microsoft have explicitely said they are not going to unbundle kinect.  Does that mean it will never happen?  No.  But it certainly does not appear immediate.

Your logic is predicated on saving money, but this can only occur in a substantial way if only the X1 sees substantial price cuts.  If it did, the X1 would immediately and dramatically overhaul the PS4 in the United States (the OPs home) and the PS4 would see similar cuts in short order. 

I recognise that you're attempting to maximise material gain for lowest cost, but your arithmetic is flawed.  Material gain for the gamer in question  is clearly greater in an X1 than a PS4.  Therefore, it would take a very substantial cost differential to outweight this, even if money was an issue which he has stated it is not.  But at best, you can point to a small money differential which is then further diluted over a period of several years. I know what your intention is, I am not accusing you of being a fanboy.  I just feel that you're incorrectly applying your own logic.

Im simply looking at it from the current lay of the land, tell me, does the ps4 look like its going to get a price drop any time soon, and can you say the same for the xbox one thats already had significant price drops both officially and unofficially in the UK?

your defense is basically, "you are just assuming these things will happen", but at the same time, you are just assuming they will not.

I dont even know why youre arguing the point, seems pretty clear to everyone else.

lucidium said:
starcraft said:
lucidium said:
starcraft said:

Hold on man you mentioned 2 games which is your opinion. He mentioned like 5 in the OP. Only real reason??? Lol man get out of here with that.

TheSting said:

Hold on man you mentioned 2 games which is your opinion. He mentioned like 5 in the OP. Only real reason??? Lol man get out of here with that.

OP mentioned 4, one of which is Titanfall that isn't an exclusive. So basically 3...

3 is closer to 2 than 5 so...Get out of here mayynnn! =P