By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get an Xbox One or a PS4?

Xbone or Piss4?

Xbox 150 24.59%

Ps4 389 63.77%

Apple Pippin 17 2.79%

Atari Jaguar 35 5.74%

Ask /v/ 19 3.11%

Total:610
TheSting said:

Hold on man you mentioned 2 games which is your opinion. He mentioned like 5 in the OP. Only real reason??? Lol man get out of here with that.

He mentioned 4, would you say, with a straight face that buying an Xbox One for forza 5 and killer instinct right now was worth it, or would it be better, if those games appealed to you, to wait for forza 6, and killer instinct with much more content, or potentially a pack containing lots of the content rather than separate purchases?

This is all in line with my opinion that neither console currently offer enough to be worth buying over previous generation systems when owned.

Which has been my stance basically the entire thread.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
starcraft said:

I really am not mixing up anything, I am prioritising gaming over cost for someone who has explicitely said that cost is not their primary concern.

A few false assumptions on your part.  Microsoft have explicitely said they are not going to unbundle kinect.  Does that mean it will never happen?  No.  But it certainly does not appear immediate.

Your logic is predicated on saving money, but this can only occur in a substantial way if only the X1 sees substantial price cuts.  If it did, the X1 would immediately and dramatically overhaul the PS4 in the United States (the OPs home) and the PS4 would see similar cuts in short order. 

I recognise that you're attempting to maximise material gain for lowest cost, but your arithmetic is flawed.  Material gain for the gamer in question  is clearly greater in an X1 than a PS4.  Therefore, it would take a very substantial cost differential to outweight this, even if money was an issue which he has stated it is not.  But at best, you can point to a small money differential which is then further diluted over a period of several years. I know what your intention is, I am not accusing you of being a fanboy.  I just feel that you're incorrectly applying your own logic.

Im simply looking at it from the current lay of the land, tell me, does the ps4 look like its going to get a price drop any time soon, and can you say the same for the xbox one thats already had significant price drops both officially and unofficially in the UK?

your defense is basically, "you are just assuming these things will happen", but at the same time, you are just assuming they will not.

I dont even know why youre arguing the point, seems pretty clear to everyone else.

Over each of the last two generations, both of the involved company's consoles have received price cuts broadly in line with one-another until the very end of the generation. My assumption is based on history - yours is based on...well, you've not made that clear.  The momentum that has so successfully carried the PS4 forward is broadly acknowledged to have slowed.  It is still selling wonderfully, as is the X1.  Do you believe that if Microsoft cut the price by $100 and Sony did nothing this would not change the lay of the land sufficiently to adjust Sony's perspective?

Even if you do believe that, you've made no effort to counter the fact that you're proposing a small saving (both immediately and cumulatively) for a gaming console of lesser utility to the user.

I don't know who 'everyone else' is...I assume EB1994...?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

EB1994 said:
TheSting said:

Hold on man you mentioned 2 games which is your opinion. He mentioned like 5 in the OP. Only real reason??? Lol man get out of here with that.

OP mentioned 4, one of which is Titanfall that isn't an exclusive. So basically 3...

3 is closer to 2 than 5 so...Get out of here mayynnn! =P

I said like 5. Could have put iirc but going on memory i was off. 

Go with whatever has the games you wanna play. Personally I knew PS4 had a cheaper price and a little more power but it doesn't matter if the games don't appeal to me.

lucidium said:
TheSting said:

He mentioned 4, would you.  say, with a straight face that buying an Xbox One for forza 5 and killer instinct right now was worth it, or would it be better, if those games appealed to you, to wait for forza 6, and killer instinct with much more content, or potentially a pack containing lots of the content rather than separate purchases?

This is all in line with my opinion that neither console currently offer enough to be worth buying over previous generation systems when owned.

Which has been my stance basically the entire thread.

Ive put alot of time into KI personally. The community is active and there are tournaments for the game. I got Titanfall on it also and just cranking up the play time in that. Have Dead Rising also and its good. Its all subjective and i do think its a good machine. I should have waited till the bugs were ironed out but now is the time i would have jumped.

Ive enjoyed all the games ive mentioned especially KI. You cant sit here and write your opinion and try to pass it off like a fact or majority opinion. Why dont you think he wouldnt enjoy the games now?

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Over each of the last two generations, both of the involved company's consoles have received price cuts broadly in line with one-another until the very end of the generation. My assumption is based on history

Tell me, in this history, are you reffering to the xbox 360 and playstation 3?, if thats the case then youre comparing offset launch alignments with heavy financial investment in cell which prevented the ability to take heavy cost drops for the hardware for a signficant length of time, and two very difference architectures, how exactly does that translate to the current situation of very similar systems with near identical launch windows, and opposite pricing?

starcraft said:

yours is based on...

Actual market conditions, current sales performance and retail trends.

starcraft said:

The momentum that has so successfully carried the PS4 forward is broadly acknowledged to have slowed.

A retail products sales decreased after the launch, and thats surprising how exactly?

starcraft said:

Do you believe that if Microsoft cut the price by $100 and Sony did nothing this would not change the lay of the land sufficiently to adjust Sony's perspective?

They dropped the price in the UK significantly, many retailers both met the price drop and increased it, add to that more or less free bundling of a new blockbuster title, at the same time, no such drop in price for the PS4, just the release of a new game, how exactly did that pan out? the popularity as it stands is enough to allow sony to confidently leave the console at its current price point, the xbox one would have to be significantly outselling it for Sony to approach the pricing - this suggests that while the cost of the PS4 will definitely fall over the years, its LESS likely to do so as heavilly or as soon as the xbox one.

starcraft said:

Even if you do believe that, you've made no effort to counter the fact that you're proposing a small saving (both immediately and cumulatively) for a gaming console of lesser utility to the user.

Ive made it clear, several times that my opinion on the matter is neither console offers worthwhile utility to the user, which you even agreed on, so from my perspective as i clearly stated, if he "HAS" to pick one, my option would be made based on long term cost saving, rather than what they currently offer as - as i keep saying, neither console currently offers worthwhile utility over the other as a matter of my personal opinion.

In asking what he should get, he is asking for our OPINION, sure he can say what he is interested in but ultimately our responses are going to be based on our personal opinions, you just seem hell bent on insisting that i am advocating he definitely buy a PS4, when ive made my stance on neither being worthwhile clear, which is where i fall back on the "if you look at it from a price perspective rather than the games", which then is entirely about the cost of eventually owning both and not his personal interest.

starcraft said:

I don't know who 'everyone else' is...I assume EB1994...?

Now you're just being straight up childish, so you can continue your lynch mob without me, im out of this thread.

lucidium said:

Tell me, in this history, are you reffering to the xbox 360 and playstation 3?, if thats the case then youre comparing offset launch alignments with heavy financial investment in cell which prevented the ability to take heavy cost drops for the hardware for a signficant length of time, and two very difference architectures, how exactly does that translate to the current situation of very similar systems with near identical launch windows, and opposite pricing?

Near identical launch windows and similar architecture leads to the suggestion they will have cost and price reductions along exactly the same profile... Consoles are a price sensitive market.

Actual market conditions, current sales performance and retail trends.

Retail trends are now, after six months, beginning to turn against the PS4?  Again, history says you're assumptions are flawed.

starcraft said:

The momentum that has so successfully carried the PS4 forward is broadly acknowledged to have slowed.

A retail products sales decreased after the launch, and thats surprising how exactly?

Thats just it, it isnt surprising. Generation after generation these things are the same, and you seem to think this generation will be a departure.

starcraft said:

Do you believe that if Microsoft cut the price by $100 and Sony did nothing this would not change the lay of the land sufficiently to adjust Sony's perspective?

They dropped the price in the UK significantly, many retailers both met the price drop and increased it, add to that more or less free bundling of a new blockbuster title, at the same time, no such drop in price for the PS4, just the release of a new game, how exactly did that pan out? the popularity as it stands is enough to allow sony to confidently leave the console at its current price point, the xbox one would have to be significantly outselling it for Sony to approach the pricing - this suggests that while the cost of the PS4 will definitely fall over the years, its LESS likely to do so as heavilly or as soon as the xbox one.

They dropped the price by just under 7%.  I think we can leave the rest of that paragraph right there...

Ive made it clear, several times that my opinion on the matter is neither console offers worthwhile utility to the user, which you even agreed on, so from my perspective as i clearly stated, if he "HAS" to pick one, my option would be made based on long term cost saving, rather than what they currently offer as - as i keep saying, neither console currently offers worthwhile utility over the other as a matter of my personal opinion.

We long ago both accepted we think neither are worth it - our entire argument is hypothetical.  So then, if you accept that your argument is that he should a marginal cost benefit that cannot be quantified at this time, in return for what would be a lessor gaming experience for him, then we have reached a detente' and can agree to disagree.

Now you're just being straight up childish.

There is no need for name calling.  You stated there was a consensus, there appears to be only one poster making any attempt to agree with you - to this point this conversation has been civil, please keep it that way if you would like to continue.

starcraft said:

There is no need for name calling.  You stated there was a consensus, there appears to be only one poster making any attempt to agree with you - to this point this conversation has been civil, please keep it that way if you would like to continue.

Let's be clear on this, being a moderator doesn't make you right by default, it also does not absolve you from being human, don't try to pass the buck with idle threats, it's unbecomming of you.

I made very concise and clear posts detailing my opinion, you took it upon yourself to push the issue and insist I was persuing a particular opinion, the fault is as much with you as it is with me.

Anyway, I'm not willing to discuss this topic or the thread any further so I'd ask that you do not quote me further.

lucidium said:
starcraft said:

Let's be clear on this, being a moderator doesn't make you right by default, it also does not absolve you from being human, don't try to pass the buck with idle threads, it's unbecomming of you.

I made very concise and clear posts detailing my opinion, you took it upon yourself to push the issue and insist I was persuing a particular opinion, the fault is as much with you as it is with me.

Anyway, I'm not willing to discuss this topic or the thread any further so I'd ask that you do not quote me further.

Who played the Mod card - I do not believe I have mentioned or even alluded to my being a mod in this entire conversation? Mods are as entitled as anyone else to have an opinion - they equally have as much right as all other users not to be called names. Had you called another poster childish, you could well have been moderated - instead, when it was directed at me, I asked you to cease and moved on.  A bit hard to see how one can feel rank has been pulled under such circumstances.

That said, if you would like to leave it, then we shall.

@OP

Be interesting to hear what you decide! 

Probably not the best place to ask. Go to N4G.