By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starcraft 2 study: Brain functioning begins to decline at age 24

Over the hill at 24:

Cognitive decline doesn't begin until we're much older, right? Maybe not, according to research published online this week in PLOS ONE. Researchers who measured the effect of age on video game performance—StarCraft II, to be exact—have found that brain functioning begins to decline at about the ripe old age of 24. After studying thousands of cases, they found that reaction time particularly begins to slow at that age when compared with younger gamers.

http://news.sciencemag.org/signal-noise/2014/04/over-hill-age-24

-------------------------------------------

Well lucky for me games are much easier right now then back when I was younger so its not having an impact..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

2017 is going to be the beginning of the end for me in this case!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

There does seem to be an inflection point at 24/25. Supposedly 25 is when testosterone levels leave "teenage" levels and level off towards stable adulthood (hopefully not seriously declining until old age, though all those pills they sell out there tell a different story)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Gaming Discussion?

Edit: Oops read it again nevermind

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Hah, not worth going through everything that's flawed with that.

Suffice to say declines (and gains) begin well before age 24. Also, someone who is 60 but plays regularly will absolutely wipe the floor of a 20 year old who doesn't play. Experience and enthusiasm vastly trump age specifics. Twitch reaction speeds are already declining by 20 (measured in an unrelated study of brain bioelectric rates), yet experience + skill means that twitch shooters are dominated by players well into their 20s who have no jobs.

If anything, that graph shows that people generally 'get a life' after about age 24 unless they can truly go pro (which is a real thing in SC2 in Korea). That doesn't mean not playing games anymore, but probably not playing them 10-16 hours a day every day.

Around the Network

Maru has a brilliant carreer ahead of him

I better stop gaming then. Only getting worse from now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Adameh said:

Gaming Discussion?

VGChartz study: Brain function doesn't kick in until after age 14.

badgenome said:
Adameh said:

Gaming Discussion?

VGChartz study: Brain function doesn't kick in until after age 14.

*Cries self to sleep*

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Well, I guess it begins for me ):