By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need Help On PS1 Collecting

• Parasite Eve: the rare action-horror which has improved with age. Check out PE2 if you like tank controls: I love it, but it's not for everyone.
  • Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins. Skip the first one, as it's not actually that good.
  • Chrono Cross: One of the better RPGs.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
So I'm starting to get into PS1 collecting, but I didn't have the console when I was a kid so I don't have many games for it and know like nothing about the gems on the console, so I need some recommendations to get me going.  

I currently have: 
-Crash Bandicoot 2
-FF7
-FF8
-FF9
-MGS
-Twisted Metal 4

Wish list:
-All the Spyro games
-Rest of the Crash Banicoot games
-FF Anthology
-FF Tactics
-Xenogears
-FF Chronicles

You should add suikoden 2 (and the first suikoden too, but two is the best), vandal hearts (NOT vandal hearts 2), brigandine, legend of dragoon, breath of fire 3, wild arms 1&2.  That should get you going.  Some of those are pretty expensive though...  Suikoden 2 should be your biggest priority, it is considered by many to be in contention for best rpg of all time.  

Do you have a PS3? If so, you can find a lot of these games digitally on PSN, often for a fraction of the cost on eBay or Amazon.com.

However, I understand the desire for hard copies.

Some suggestions:

• Tomb Raider -- a brilliant, surprisingly underrated action-adventure game 
  • Tomb Raider II -- in many ways even better than the first 
  • Metal Gear Solid -- relatively short and a little too clever for its own good, but amazing nonetheless 
  • Final Fantasy VII -- not quite as good as its older brother but still a top-tier RPG
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- another underrated gem, challenging and original 
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater -- an addictive mix of arcade and objective-based skateboarding
  • Gran Turismo -- far ahead of its time in terms of physics and presentation
  • Suikoden -- a totally different, and wildly successful, approach to turn-based combat and strategy
  • Silent Hill -- remains, to this day, one of the scariest games ever made 
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night -- highly influential turning-point for the franchise that plays like a dream
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain -- an old-school top-down action-adventure title with superior storytelling 
  • Spyro the Dragon -- one of the better adventure-platform games with a terrific voice cast
  • Pandemonium! -- a sometimes frustratingly difficult, but ultimately rewarding 2.5D platform game

A few of my favorites that comes to mind:
Crash series
Parasite Eve series
FF7-9
Muppet Race Mania, the MK64 killer
Re series, you cant miss it
Ape escape
Sypro
Fear Effect series

And i could go on and on. This is by far my favorite console and games because I grew playing these.

Btw are you getting the games legit? The best way to enjoy is with the original imo!

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Anfebious said:

So you want to collect them! Then I recommend you use this site. http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/playstation?sort-by=highest-price

It is useful if you want to collect since it gives you the approximate price of the games you want to get. Good luck! Games like Suikoden 2 are about 80 dollars+ used. It also gives you link to the sites where you can buy those games!

Thanks, never heard of Half.com, but the prices look pretty good on there.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Get the Driver games. Also, if you don't mind getting games ported from PC you might enjoy Red Alert and Quake II. I enjoyed them both a lot.

I actually have Driver 3 on the original xbox and its one of my favorite games on that console, are the previous games more like that one?

Priority:

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Front Mission III

FF Tactics

Suikoden I & II

Vagrant Story

The rest of 'em can suck it.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Zkuq said:
Get the Driver games. Also, if you don't mind getting games ported from PC you might enjoy Red Alert and Quake II. I enjoyed them both a lot.

I actually have Driver 3 on the original xbox and its one of my favorite games on that console, are the previous games more like that one?

I'm not sure because I only got to try Driver 3 shortly... As far as I know, though, the basic idea is the same. If driving is what's important to you in Driver, then the first two ought to be good: in the first one there's no getting out of the car, and in the second one, you can get out of the car but it's really usable only for switching vehicles.

Games I recommend:
1. Klonoa ( A colorful, yet challenging platformer!)
2. The original Resident Evil trilogy ( While I wasn't a huge fan of RE3, I still think that you should try all 3 of them!)
3. Strider 2 ( So much fun!)
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night ( One of the best, if not the best Castlevania game ever made!)
5. Street Fighter Alpha 3 ( It's frickin' Street Fighter!)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

See my SIG.....................
Now, Add
- Twisted Metal
- CTR
- Bushido Blade
- Ape Escape
- Tomb Raider 2
- Dino Crisis 2
- Gran Turismo
- Wipeout
- Alundra
- Battle Arena Toushiden
- Blasto
-Driver
- Bloody Roar
Yeh, that's a great start................