By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What can revive console gaming in Japan?

pauluzzz1981 said:

I don't know.

Do you?

IMO. The "Fusion". Essentially a console that is elective to the point of it being effortlessly transformed from portable to home and back. That's my guess as to what the fusion is going to be anyway. They seem very tied to portable devices, so a new console will have to incorporate that. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Vita Tv.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

spemanig said:
A Wii U firmware update that let's you play with the Gamepad as if it were a portable the same way the Vita's remote play works in conjunction with a game that has the handheld experience while benefitting from the graphical fidelity that the Wii U offers.

You do realize that what you are asking is impossible right?

Anyways, I think all the consoles need what the Vita has gotten. A steady stream of Japan targeted games. I doubt that will happen for a while with the PS4 and it will likely never happen with the Wii U and XBO. The Wii U will get bumps from exclusives but not enough to change people's mind that Consoles are doomed in Japan. 

@Dusk: I've been a proponent for a "fusion"esque console for a while now. I feel like that is the only way Nintendo will be able to survive in the home console space and Sony will be able to survive in the handheld space. Whoever gets there first is going to be glad they did (and whoever gets there second will have a much more difficult time of things)

Nem said:
pokoko said:
I don't see much of a problem. A huge chunk of the Japanese market is based on mobile or hand-held gaming, which fits well with the lifestyle or circumstances of many Japanese people. That's just the way it is. Even then, they still buy a lot of home consoles, relatively speaking.

I always think that is a weak argument.

The Gameboy/advance was always there and was a sucess, but it didnt stop home consoles from beeing a sucess aswell. Its not their way of life that changed and they suddenly just want portables. Its that they were the center of development for games and with the last gen they stopped beeing.

The system that they feel no attachment to, the xbox 360 ushered in a new era of games, albeit rushed, but caught sony off guard. Sony was late and was arrogant from 2 gen victories and released their system at an unthinkable price for the Japanese. This left them with no choice than to go to portables where their japanese games migrated to.

Nowadays still, home console development is headed by the western developers, the ones they used to call trash. Trash is now quality and what they do is now viewed mostly as trash. Its no wonder they just evade the humiliation and choose to ignore the console market. All this theory about it beeing their life style is all circunstancial if you ask me.

Yeah, uh ... if you want to talk about circumstantial arguments, I'm gonna have to say the theory that they don't buy home consoles because they want to "evade the humiliation" falls under that category.  I'm also pretty sure that smart-phone gaming wasn't all that big during the Gameboy era.

Japan has less televisions per person than the US or much of Europe and a high dependancy on public transportation.  Those are real circumstances.  Japan is not gaming less, as we know they spend an enormous amount of time and money on apps, they're just gaming differently.  You can say that this should have no impact on home console sales but I disagree.  Gaming is all about time.  If they're gaming on their phones and they're gaming on their 3DS, that leaves less time for consoles.  All of these things are factors.

pokoko said:
Nem said:

I always think that is a weak argument.

The Gameboy/advance was always there and was a sucess, but it didnt stop home consoles from beeing a sucess aswell. Its not their way of life that changed and they suddenly just want portables. Its that they were the center of development for games and with the last gen they stopped beeing.

The system that they feel no attachment to, the xbox 360 ushered in a new era of games, albeit rushed, but caught sony off guard. Sony was late and was arrogant from 2 gen victories and released their system at an unthinkable price for the Japanese. This left them with no choice than to go to portables where their japanese games migrated to.

Nowadays still, home console development is headed by the western developers, the ones they used to call trash. Trash is now quality and what they do is now viewed mostly as trash. Its no wonder they just evade the humiliation and choose to ignore the console market. All this theory about it beeing their life style is all circunstancial if you ask me.

Yeah, uh ... if you want to talk about circumstantial arguments, I'm gonna have to say the theory that they don't buy home consoles because they want to "evade the humiliation" falls under that category.  I'm also pretty sure that smart-phone gaming wasn't all that big during the Gameboy era.

Japan has less televisions per person than the US or much of Europe and a high dependancy on public transportation.  Those are real circumstances.  Japan is not gaming less, as we know they spend an enormous amount of time and money on apps, they're just gaming differently.  You can say that this should have no impact on home console sales but I disagree.  Gaming is all about time.  If they're gaming on their phones and they're gaming on their 3DS, that leaves less time for consoles.  All of these things are factors.

Alright, just for you, you can change humiliation with "western games they dont like nor want to like".

Those circunstances of public transportation were there long before last generation. They had gameboys back then aswell. You mean to tell me they just started playing portable games more in the conveninent time when the Japanese development community stopped dominating the home console market? Mighty convenient, i'll say.

Around the Network

Reduce development time, companies like Square take years to make anything

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Nem said:

Alright, just for you, you can change humiliation with "western games they dont like nor want to like".

Those circunstances of public transportation were there long before last generation. They had gameboys back then aswell. You mean to tell me they just started playing portable games more in the conveninent time when the Japanese development community stopped dominating the home console market? Mighty convenient, i'll say.

If you don't think the rise of smart-phones have anything to do with it, fine, I'm not going to argue about it.

Nothing. Japanese spend so much on smartphone games, you can have growth and benefit in it, there is not incentive to develop on console. Western games have no impact here. People are busy with work, there is less and less young people to spend hours on a console game. I can't see anything that could revive console gaming in Japan.

Console game is as dead in Japan as pinball is in Europe. That's past.

Making a console portable

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Making a console portable

Making SUPA handhelds.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)