By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What can revive console gaming in Japan?

Monster Hunter 5 for PS4.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Nem said:

Alright, just for you, you can change humiliation with "western games they dont like nor want to like".

Those circunstances of public transportation were there long before last generation. They had gameboys back then aswell. You mean to tell me they just started playing portable games more in the conveninent time when the Japanese development community stopped dominating the home console market? Mighty convenient, i'll say.

If you don't think the rise of smart-phones have anything to do with it, fine, I'm not going to argue about it.

I dont think i brought up smart phones. We were talking about console gaming.

There are diferent holes i can poke at the smart phone theory. If smart phones are popular, why did portable gaming flourish instead of diming? In the west smart phones are popular and it meant a decline on portable gaming. Kind of odd that it works the other way around in Japan, hmm? Especially taking into account that the "train" lifestyle didnt start at the same time. 

I think as much as one tries to dodge it, the trigger issue is far too obvious, also by the xbox sales, that its a nationalism issue. Its just something that is imprinted, just like western games were seen as trash and held at the back of the stores in the past. The fall from grace is not something easy to deal with. Denial is a perfectly normal reaction and one that Japanese can deal with quite easily having historically isolated themselves from the rest of the world for hundreads of years in the past.

A change in Japanese lifestyle.

A more combined effort between the owners of the most popular IP's in Japan.

But most importantly: time. The market isn't what it used to be, but it can still be there with the right games, which aren't arriving quickly.

Nem said:
pokoko said:

If you don't think the rise of smart-phones have anything to do with it, fine, I'm not going to argue about it.

I dont think i brought up smart phones. We were talking about console gaming.

There are diferent holes i can poke at the smart phone theory. If smart phones are popular, why did portable gaming flourish instead of diming? In the west smart phones are popular and it meant a decline on portable gaming. Kind of odd that it works the other way around in Japan, hmm? Especially taking into account that the "train" lifestyle didnt start at the same time. 

I think as much as one tries to dodge it, the trigger issue is far too obvious, also by the xbox sales, that its a nationalism issue. Its just something that is imprinted, just like western games were seen as trash and held at the back of the stores in the past. The fall from grace is not something easy to deal with. Denial is a perfectly normal reaction and one that Japanese can deal with quite easily having historically isolated themselves from the rest of the world for hundreads of years in the past.

Are you really saying that the Japanese stopped buying home consoles because the entire country is pouting?

It's like ... I don't even ...

I think I have some stuff I have to do now.  You have a good day.

pokoko said:

Are you really saying that the Japanese stopped buying home consoles because the entire country is pouting?

It's like ... I don't even ...

I think I have some stuff I have to do now.  You have a good day.

Why must you put things is such crude terms?

The games that are mainstream now dont appeal to them. Thats it in a nuttshell. Its not smartphones, its not a change in lifestyle. They just want more high end japanese games. But theres a problem with that cause the financial models used today dont work with just one market supporting them (on home consoles).

Around the Network

I think they are pissed off that Yakuza 5 wasn't localized for the west and have been boycotting home consoles in solidarity.

The XB1 exclusive japanese launch title, of course.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Japan likes games. Consoles don't get many games because it's prohibitively expensive to develop. Games are expensive because it takes more work to take advantage of such impressive hardware.

Handhelds do well in Japan. Handhelds also have more games because it's so much cheaper to make them. Games are cheaper because hardware isn't as impressive.

Mobile is doing great in Japan. Mobile has the most games because it's the cheapest platform to make them for.

In short Japan would like more games.

FF XV and Kingdoms hearts 3