By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Breaking news: Ultimate Warrior has died(update)

MessiaH said:
Must have been heart-failure. Most wrestlers that die young, die from heart-failure due to the steroids they take and what they put their bodies through. It's sad, there is a long list of dead wrestlers from that very thing and WWE seemingly does nothing to prevent it.

They do, actually.  They tried time and time again to get Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall into rehab and get Yokozuna to lose weight.  They've fired big guys like Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy for abusing drugs, even when they were at the top of the industry.  There's a long list of guys that got suspended or fired for violating their wellness policy (and there's a long list of A+ players that got second chances, too--I guess they were too big to fire).  WWE could do more but the definitely do something.  Unfortunately, it's an industry that thrives on physical appearance.  Guys like Dusty Rhodes just aren't what we think of when we think of "Athletes" any more.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
MessiaH said:
Must have been heart-failure. Most wrestlers that die young, die from heart-failure due to the steroids they take and what they put their bodies through. It's sad, there is a long list of dead wrestlers from that very thing and WWE seemingly does nothing to prevent it.

They do, actually.  They tried time and time again to get Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall into rehab and get Yokozuna to lose weight.  They've fired big guys like Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy for abusing drugs, even when they were at the top of the industry.  There's a long list of guys that got suspended or fired for violating their wellness policy (and there's a long list of A+ players that got second chances, too--I guess they were too big to fire).  WWE could do more but the definitely do something.  Unfortunately, it's an industry that thrives on physical appearance.  Guys like Dusty Rhodes just aren't what we think of when we think of "Athletes" any more.

Haha! Yeah, Dusty RHodes is certainly no example these days. It's a shame all those athletes are dying young. If WWE are doing something, they need to do more to prevent this stuff from happening. I wonder what wrestling would be like had none of these athletes taken steroids. Maybe it won't be much of a spectacle, but god damn, these young guys deserve better than heart failures and overdoses.

d21lewis said:
MessiaH said:

If they really cared what they would do is have a mandatory offseason.

3 Months off a year straight, scheduled at the start of each year.

It'd give them plenty of "New Champ vs the Returning Champ" storylines.   Chances for tournaments etc.

Or, actually sign them as employees and get them some healthcare rather then sign them as independent contractors.

Kasz216 said:

It'd give them plenty of "New Champ vs the Returning Champ" storylines.   Chances for tournaments etc.

Or, actually sign them as employees and get them some healthcare rather then sign them as independent contractors.

Or they could do a Japanese style touring schedule with like 3-4 weeks on and then an equal number off. No matter what kind of "wellness" policy you have, you can't put guys on the road for 300+ days a year and not have a massive amount of substance abuse.

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Or they could do a Japanese style touring schedule with like 3-4 weeks on and then an equal number off. No matter what kind of "wellness" policy you have, you can't put guys on the road for 300+ days a year and not have a massive amount of substance abuse.

Yep and one injury could knock you from your hard earned position. It kinda forces pain pill addiction and what not just to stay healthy and relevant. Its seriously tooooo much. Does not excuse drug abuse but its a tough position to be in.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Also a great idea.

I mean really, if anyone wants the real reason that  CM Punk quit, that's probably a factor, since i guess he doesn't even take Pain Killers? 

I've never understood why WWE never had an off season. Give them a month off after Summer Slam and start a new season of Raw and Smackdown in October. No reason for those shows to be running every week.

darkknightkryta said:
I've never understood why WWE never had an off season. Give them a month off after Summer Slam and start a new season of Raw and Smackdown in October. No reason for those shows to be running every week.

I think it's just a holdover from when they were still more of a wrestling company than a TV show. Especially during the '80s when they were one of the hottest things going and a national (and global) wrestling promotion was a new thing, there was a strong need to strike while the iron was hot and be everywhere at once with two or three house show teams wrestling 6-7 days a week.

There's really a lot of things they should have reconsidered about their operation when they transitioned from live events being the big thing to TV and PPV being the focus, but they haven't, really. And with this increased focus on their streaming service, they're going to be about two curves behind if they keep on the way they are.

badgenome said:
darkknightkryta said:

I think it's just a holdover from when they were still more of a wrestling company than a TV show. Especially during the '80s when they were one of the hottest things going and a national (and global) wrestling promotion was a new thing, there was a strong need to strike while the iron was hot and be everywhere at once with two or three house show teams wrestling 6-7 days a week.

There's really a lot of things they should have reconsidered about their operation when they transitioned from live events being the big thing to TV and PPV being the focus, but they haven't, really. And with this increased focus on their streaming service, they're going to be about two curves behind if they keep on the way they are.

They really need to reconsider a lot of things . The ring is one of them.  No reason as to why it can't be more padded.

Creepy it was a day after his return. Imagine signing him back then getting a phone call the next day hes dead.