By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Breaking news: Ultimate Warrior has died(update)

J_Allard said:

I wonder how Hogan feels as he watches everyone he used to wrestle with keel over and die due to drug use.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
J_Allard said:

I wonder how Hogan feels as he watches everyone he used to wrestle with keel over and die due to drug use.

What

The

Fuck.

d21lewis said:

What

The

Fuck.

I want to say that was on the Nitro before Starrcade '97. IIRC, Sting had spent the past year sulking up in the rafters because of the NWO and gave Hulk Hogan a Christmas present: his own dick head in a box.

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

What

The

Fuck.

I want to say that was on the Nitro before Starrcade '97. IIRC, Sting had spent the past year sulking up in the rafters because of the NWO and gave Hulk Hogan a Christmas present: his own dick head in a box.

He must have just seen the movie, "Se7en".  Kinda makes me wonder why nobody has ever thought to give me head.*

*Stolen from old episodes of Smackdown on WWE Network.  WWE Network is available for the low price of $9.99.  Watch all of your favorite WWE Moments and all Pay-Per-Views from your favorite video game console, PC, or mobile device (except Vita).

d21lewis said:

*Stolen from old episodes of Smackdown on WWE Network.  WWE Network is available for the low price of $9.99.  Watch all of your favorite WWE Moments and all Pay-Per-Views from your favorite video game console, PC, or mobile device (except Vita).

LOL.

Is anyone here a subscriber? I've been thinking of checking it out, but I don't know how much of their archives are up. If it's ALL the old PPVs, that's a hell of a deal. But if it's like Netflix where they just make some random selection of stuff available at any one time, it's much less compelling.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

WWE is to blame for encouraging drug use though, aside from overworking the big shots if a wrestler isn't a flyer they'll never be given the biggest spotlight unless they get themselves to a size that isn't practical to maintain without drug use.  I don't know if they eased up on it in recent years but when I stopped watching sometime in mid 2000s it was constant hulks being pushed for the big events with a few flyers here and there, middle sized were few and far between.

That hobo guy who just became champ looks smaller, so maybe they're having a rethink.

Nah, lots of guys that aren't huge get the push.  It's more about microphone skills than anything.  Plus I look like a WWE wrestler and I've never used anything besides creatine and good ol' fashioned hard work.  Guys like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Bret Hart, and tons more have won the championship and other smaller guys get over with the crowd, too.  When The Rock first got main event status, he looked like this:

And then he got fatter!  Vince loves musclebound guys but the fans don't.  When those guys come out that look like Ultimate Warrior, they're often greeted withc chants of "You can't wrestle!" 

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

LOL.

Is anyone here a subscriber? I've been thinking of checking it out, but I don't know how much of their archives are up. If it's ALL the old PPVs, that's a hell of a deal. But if it's like Netflix where they just make some random selection of stuff available at any one time, it's much less compelling.

I'm a subscriber.  ALL of the PPVs from WCW, ECW, and WWE are there all the time.  They have "Live" scheduled programming too where they air old episodes of Raw and Smackdown as well as a bunch of other old stuff but those episodes aren't always available to watch whenever you want.  Stuff like Countdown, NXT, Legends of Wrestling, some documentaries, pre-shows and post-shows make it a Wrestling fan's dream.  I watched so much WWE Network that I had no idea what was going on in the world, at one point.  A guy at work was like "You know we're about to go to war with Russia, right?"  and I was like, "Yeeeaaa.....no."  You can watch every PPV year by year if you really wanted to.

KylieDog said:

WWE is to blame for encouraging drug use though, aside from overworking the big shots if a wrestler isn't a flyer they'll never be given the biggest spotlight unless they get themselves to a size that isn't practical to maintain without drug use.  I don't know if they eased up on it in recent years but when I stopped watching sometime in mid 2000s it was constant hulks being pushed for the big events with a few flyers here and there, middle sized were few and far between.

That hobo guy who just became champ looks smaller, so maybe they're having a rethink.

Historically, sure. The wellness program started as a way for them to act like they were doing something after the steroid scandals. But between the work load and the "come big or go home" mentality, all the real incentives were to use drugs. I think Vince always had such a hard-on for big guys because he was himself a frustrated wannabe wrestler, but his father forbade it. And when he finally got to wrestle during his feud with Austin and we saw him in a sleeveless shirt for the first time, he looked like Bob Backlund's head had been slapped on Hulk Hogan's body. So I think he probably was disinclined to push guys who were smaller than himself.

But as Vince has aged and watch all these guys die one after the other, I'd like to think it's become more of a legitimate concern. That's bound to affect a person. Especially after Benoit.

Then again: John Cena.

d21lewis said:

I'm a subscriber.  ALL of the PPVs from WCW, ECW, and WWE are there all the time.  They have "Live" scheduled programming too where they air old episodes of Raw and Smackdown as well as a bunch of other old stuff but those episodes aren't always available to watch whenever you want.  Stuff like Countdown, NXT, Legends of Wrestling, some documentaries, pre-shows and post-shows make it a Wrestling fan's dream.  I watched so much WWE Network that I had no idea what was going on in the world, at one point.  A guy at work was like "You know we're about to go to war with Russia, right?"  and I was like, "Yeeeaaa.....no."  You can watch every PPV year by year if you really wanted to.

Hmmm... that's pretty tempting! Thanks.

I thought he died like 20 years ago? Didn't they have to replace him with another guy? Or is this the second ultimate warrior to die?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.