By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Crew's microtransactions let you buy performance parts with real world cash

The Crew will feature microtransactions that allow players to purchase new performance parts using real-world money, Ubisoft has revealed.

The system appears to be similar to the monetisation model found in many free-to-play games, with players able to earn in-game credits by completing missions and challenges, or short-cutting the process by purchasing currency with real cash.

"We can confirm that performance parts can be unlocked through progression as well as microtransactions," a Ubisoft representative told VideoGamer.com. "All content can be unlocked through progression, but for busy gamers who want to save some time, they will have the opportunity to buy some items in-game."

Judging by an earlier Q&A, the model appears to be divided into two individual forms of currency: $ and Crew Credits.

"Everything in the game has got this dual currency approach," creative director Julian Gerighty told us during a recent press tour. "We're not going to stop you from progressing [if you don't spend money], but it'll be more time."

What isn't yet clear, however, is how Ubisoft intends to avoid situations that could lead to pay-to-win scenarios. For example, could a player purchase additional upgrades using real money to give them an advantage over another equally-skilled player?

It also raises questions for Ubisoft's other online-only RPG The Division, too. Could that be due to implement microtransactions as well?

The Crew launches later this year on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Around the Network

pay to win?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I fucking hate games like this

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Boooo microtransactions boo....

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

w00t pay to win master race

/sarc

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

toot1231 said:
I fucking hate games like this

Just let it and anyone who wants to buy into it rot tbh. I agree with you but there are plenty of games out there in this genre to not have to support this.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I never spend a single cent on Microtransactions and I don`t intend to do so in the future. A game that manages to make me spend money on Microtransactions must be the second coming of Christ...

If this is the future of home console videogames then I don't want to form part of it. This gen is going to suck big time.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Progression or just straight up buying them?

Gaming is just becoming lazy, isn't it?