By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Studios team hit with layoffs in restructuring

sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
Lemme get this straight.
Sony hires devs.
Sony fires devs.
MS hires ex Sony devs.
MS fires kinect staff
Man creates dinosaur?

Fixed for ya

firing...kinect staff? narrows eyes

at least the dinosaurs are real, because I would take that as a bad sign.

Around the Network

Oh noes!

MS to sell off buildings and big divisions next? :(

pezus said:
J_Allard said:
Oh noes!

MS to sell off buildings and big divisions next? :(

Well they've already closed several whole development teams over the years. Maybe some buildings are next

i no right? if only the recent Office on iOS surge had put them at 342 billion market cap instead of around 340 :(

Never heard of either of the guys I doubt they were working on anything important.

true_fan said:
2 people compared to 50+ layoffs, cancelled games, top devs leaving during development. You guys are reaching.

*Snickers to himself

If MS studios faced 50 layoffs, they would just about have enough developers left to make android games... oh sorry, WP games. =P

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
true_fan said:
2 people compared to 50+ layoffs, cancelled games, top devs leaving during development. You guys are reaching.

*Snickers to himself

If MS studios faced 50 layoffs, they would just about have enough developers left to make android games... oh sorry, WP games. =P

Microsoft's first party consists of over 1000 developers as far as I know, 343i alone has over 300 developers, Rare and Lionhead have another 100+ each. But I guess you were joking and not being serious.

obviously im joking, but you proved my point. With all those developers 50 here or there dont matter, so why would it matter to sony who has many more than MS?

fps_d0minat0r said:
true_fan said:

*Snickers to himself

Turn 10 has over 300 employees Playground Games has 82 permanent (But probably a lot more total currently since they are working on Horzion 2) if those two studios would cut 50 people it would be somewhat of a big deal but 50 across all of MS developers wouldn't be a very big deal.

Drakrami said:
Microsoft going out of business in a year?

But that would mean no Kinectimals for the Xbox One!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Drakrami said:
Microsoft going out of business in a year?

But that would mean no Kinectimals for the Xbox One!

Noooooo :(

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

shikamaru317 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

obviously im joking, but you proved my point. With all those developers 50 here or there dont matter, so why would it matter to sony who has many more than MS?

I think the the fact that Games were cancelled at Sony is a bigger deal than the 50+ layoffs, you have to admit that's a pretty major restructuring going on over there, though likely needed since Sony is trying to actually profit from the PS4's success instead of leaking money like they did last gen, which is a good idea. 

Microsoft's restructing on the other hand seems quite minor in comparison, though it is early yet, we could get even more restructuring news i nthe coming weeks. Honestly Microsoft needs a fairly major restructure as well, maybe not to the degree of cancelling games though, but they do need to make their first party more competitive with Sony's and Nintendo's while also trying to turn a profit on the Xbox One, it's quite a task ahead of them.

Its a big deal that time was wasted, but not necessarily a big deal that the games were cancelled.

If the game was shit, then they would have to cancel it in order to maintain a level of quality. ofcourse sometimes they have no option like on launch titles, but if studios like SSM start making average games, customers lose trust. The new staff can still use the resources and lead the game in a new direction so im sure it wont have been a complete waste, but still disappointing that time was wasted. But then again, Sony havent left it this late to announce they will support core gamers and they dont have to because its clear they are not wasting significant amount of time on PS move or the camera.