By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think the Wii U will outsell PS4 in Japan

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Probably not, but even if it does it's a hollow victory ... Japan for console may as well be a cripple fight.

Console's are no longer relevant there. I don't either the PS4 or Wii U will even match PS3 sales.

I'd guess probably about 3.5 million LTD for Wii U when all's said and done (similar to GameCube) and about 5-6 million for PS4 over a very, very (very) long time (10 years to get there). 

I dont get where this consoles are irrelevant in Japan talk came from.

PS2+GC+Xbox=27.75 million

PS3+Wii+360=24.33 million

Last gen in Japan looks better than what it really was because the Wii had a great first 2-3 years in Japan that inflated the console total due to being something very new and different. We've seen the console business the last 3 years in Japan go through massive, massive declines and the new consoles have not stemmed that one bit whereas handheld gaming, particularily mobile (iOS/Android) gaming has boomed monstrously in Japan. Japan is the no.1 worldwide consumer of apps, even bigger than the US, and games are the most downloaded app. 

The one caveat I'll make is maybe VR takes off in Japan something fierce, but a PS4 + VR helmet likely is going to quite expensive as a combo for a while too. 

Around the Network
mine said:
At the current sell rate the PS4 will need OVER TWO YEARS to catch up to the Wii U.

Enough said.

Whats your point? At Wii Us current rate it will take EIGHT YEARS to catch up to the GameCube

Enough said.

AZWification said:

I don't think so. An inevitable Knack sequel would easily make the PS4 the victorious console in Japan!

Amen

Figgycal said:

In Japan; am I crazy?

Yes, you are.

Japan is basically the savior for PSV and Wii U. Though because handhelds are in the ascendant in Japan it only looks like Japan is saving PSV.

But because Japan is also Wii U's savior it would have a chance of outselling PS4, if it gets the big Japanese 3rd party games. It will clearly be the closest region for PS4 vs Wii U, and it might even be PS3/Wii close or even closer. I think Japan is maybe the only market where Wii managed to retain an increased base of support. Wii U could well end up outselling N64 in Japan. But I don't think either PS4 or Wii U are likely to reach PS3's number, let alone Wii. Quite depressing really to think that this might be the first generation since Nintendo entered the home console market that at least one console does not sell >10 million units in Japan. Which is an amazing contrast to gen 7 which, if PS3 keeps trucking along for a while should be the first generation that 2 consoles sold > 10 million units.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

when wiiu launched,there wasn't a nextgen system on the market to compete with,it was wide open all to itself,thats a reason why wiiiu might have done better in the same amount /time-frame compared to the ps4 now

binary solo said:
Japan is basically the savior for PSV and Wii U. Though because handhelds are in the ascendant in Japan it only looks like Japan is saving PSV.

But because Japan is also Wii U's savior it would have a chance of outselling PS4, if it gets the big Japanese 3rd party games. It will clearly be the closest region for PS4 vs Wii U, and it might even be PS3/Wii close or even closer. I think Japan is maybe the only market where Wii managed to retain an increased base of support. Wii U could well end up outselling N64 in Japan. But I don't think either PS4 or Wii U are likely to reach PS3's number, let alone Wii. Quite depressing really to think that this might be the first generation since Nintendo entered the home console market that at least one console does not sell >10 million units in Japan. Which is an amazing contrast to gen 7 which, if PS3 keeps trucking along for a while should be the first generation that 2 consoles sold > 10 million units.

Ps3 will hit 10m this year. I dont thik thats a while. Ps4 wipl sell greater than 10m. thats a given. 

How is it that metal gear solid (so called crappy rated game) for ps4 sells 1/2 a million in the middle of March but the games that were supposed to save wii u (pikmin 3, donkey kong country TF, wonderful 101, windwaker hd) none of those hit 1/2 million in 1 week.

only until wii u sucessor shows up.
but until 2020, ps4 will outsell wii u, cos it would be abandoned for 3 years.

Its possible, however I would give like 40-45 percent chance of happening. It depends on what games Nintendo can for the Wii U going forward and how Japanese gamers react to them.