By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think the Wii U will outsell PS4 in Japan

Maybe, Japan is different from the rest of the world... we will see

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Figgycal said:

In Japan; am I crazy?

Back at the Japanese launch, I had predicted that PS4 would sell 170k for the first week of sales which would have put it behind the Wii u. I turned out to be wrong - it sold nearly double that number. Which gave me a lot of hope. Now that the PS4 is out :/... not so much. It is performing worse than the Wii U was.

As a reasonable person, I came to the conclusion that Wii U> PS4 in Japan for this generation. Or is that not reasonable? Why is the PS4 bombing- doing worse than the Wii U? Anyone? Change my mind please.

The ps4 has big third party developer support in Japan with FF, Metal GEar, Deep down, Resi Evil, Kingdom hearts,  and more to come, not a chance. It will start slower but build over time like vita has and ps3 did.

Also, ps4 will be chaper then ps3 was. It will outsell ps3 in the long run.

I'll depend on overall Japanese publisher support. Currently WiiU has it better, but that will likely not last.

In the end PS4 will more than likely have the lead in every territory.

Japanese publishers aren't like their western counterparts. They don't jump to the next generation right off the bat. The PS3 will continue to get exclusives for awhile. People will turn this into PS4 doom when all it means is that sales will be deferred until later.

In Japan I agree WiiU could come out on top, but I think PS4 will still win there as well even if it isn't with spectacular numbers. Final Fantasy will probably make sure of it. In any case, if there's any region WiiU has a fair chance to win, it's Japan.

The PS4's as of now disappointing sales there are just proof that console gaming is as good as dead in Japan.

Around the Network

I want the Wii U to do good, i know it will.

But theres no way it will outsell PS4.

S.Peelman said:

In Japan I agree WiiU could come out on top, but I think PS4 will still win there as well even if it isn't with spectacular numbers. Final Fantasy will probably make sure of it. In any case, if there's any region WiiU has a fair chance to win, it's Japan.

The PS4's as of now disappointing sales there are just proof that console gaming is as good as dead in Japan.

It's crazy how japan is now basically a handheld country, they always used to buy lots of home consoles.

I wonder why home consoles are declining there.

Shrugs, doesnt matter unless it is mobile over there.

Too early to tell, I never expected the PS4 to do amazingly, but I think it will settle on a baseline 2-3k or a bit more above the Wii U when all is said and done and have some crazy boosts when games like FF release, so over time, I still think the PS4 will take Japan, but not with any huge margin.

the wii u is already 1,5 years old considering nintendo only support their console for 4,5 years and Sony does for 7-8 years, no I don't see that happening in any way or shape

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.