By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which game made you a gamer?What was special about it?

xenogears1234 said:

Started all the way back in the commodore 64 days and then later atari 2600 (console wise), but i didnt become a true hardcore gamer until i played xenogears for the playstation. Up till then i never spent so much time let alone multiple playthroughs till then and that was a huge game in terms of time/intelligence wise to werap my brain around the concepts brough up in that game.

As i see many have begun gaming many years ago.How is it so all these years after that first time?Have you lost your interest in games or do they still feel fresh to you?

Around the Network

NES and N64 got me into gaming (playing NES at grandpa's house/N64 at friend's house, older brother's N64 for Super Mario 64), and the GameCube made me a gamer, if that made sense.

Super Mario World. because it was first game I got as a kid.

Well, the first game I played thoroughly was H.E.R.O on Atari 2600 (awesome game to this day!) but the game that got me into gaming was Sonic the hedgehog on Mega Drive, that spiky blue thing caught my heart :).

nicktwilight said:
xenogears1234 said:

Started all the way back in the commodore 64 days and then later atari 2600 (console wise), but i didnt become a true hardcore gamer until i played xenogears for the playstation. Up till then i never spent so much time let alone multiple playthroughs till then and that was a huge game in terms of time/intelligence wise to werap my brain around the concepts brough up in that game.

As i see many have begun gaming many years ago.How is it so all these years after that first time?Have you lost your interest in games or do they still feel fresh to you?

No i have actually become a more excited/hardcore gamer overtime especially since all my friends, and even the girl im dating now are gamers its almost beyond belief how mainstream gaming has become.   If you would have told me when i was 6, and was playing oregon trail for the first time that gaming would go from a laughed at nerdy fly by night trend to where it is now my mind would have been blown.

Around the Network

I was extremely casual until i played Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, those games changed everything.

xenogears1234 said:
nicktwilight said:
xenogears1234 said:

No i have actually become a more excited/hardcore gamer overtime especially since all my friends, and even the girl im dating now are gamers its almost beyond belief how mainstream gaming has become.   If you would have told me when i was 6, and was played oregon trail for the first time that gaming would go from a laughed at nerdy fly by night trend to where it is now my mind would have been blown.

Yes it's insane to witness this growth in popularity for videogames in recent years.There are still steps to be made though in my opinion.It's still maturing in the mind of most people outside of videogames.

I started at age 6 with a text adventure on a home built pc in 1980. My dad built it from a kit, took him months to solder the whole thing together. It ran a form of Basic, had 2x 5.25" disk drives, no hdd, b&w monitor, no sound.
He threw a party when it was ready and a whole bunch of grown-ups came over to play the text adventure, giving suggestions what to type next.

My son started at age 2 with Wii sports resort. He loved flying the plane around.

I passed from not liking to loving video games thanks to AoEII: The Age of Kings and its expansion, it was too adictive and it was perfect for me because I loved to read about history. Before that the only thing I had played was the Tetris brick and I had kinda played Super Mario Bros. and that Contra game

Gryzor, AKA Contra, first game I ever finished I was 11!