By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if the Wii U was never called "Wii U"?

Would it sell better?

Absolutely 179 49.72%

Not too much 118 32.78%

Nope 63 17.50%

Total:360
TheLegendaryWolf said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't believe the name 'confusing people' for a second. People aren't that stupid, mostly. They know perfectly well what the difference is between the iPad 1/2/3/4 while they are almost exactly the same, even have exactly the same box and aren't even officially called as such (they're all just 'iPad'). Why is that? Marketing.

That said I do think the WiiU would've sold a tad better if wasn't called the WiiU. Not much though, because every other factor would be the same as they are now, but a little. If only because the 'Wii' name is synonymous with 'casual' in the eyes of the self-proclaimed 'core-gamer'.

Nintendo also should have put the emphasis on the 'U' rather than the 'Wii'. Make the 'U' big in the logo and 'Wii' small so you make it clear it's about the 'U' that's new.

A different name can change how it's advertised. If it was called The U, I could see a bunch of clever phrases that can be used in commercials to catch people's attention. 

Yes, exactly. They've been advertising it the 'Wii' way (for so far they actually advertised). It's the 'U' that should've been on the foreground.

Around the Network

WiiHD

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't believe the name 'confusing people' for a second. People aren't that stupid, mostly. They know perfectly well what the difference is between the iPad 1/2/3/4 while they are almost exactly the same, even have exactly the same box and aren't even officially called as such (they're all just 'iPad'). Why is that? Marketing.

That said I do think the WiiU would've sold a tad better if wasn't called the WiiU. Not much though, because every other factor would be the same as they are now, but a little. If only because the 'Wii' name is synonymous with 'casual' in the eyes of the self-proclaimed 'core-gamer'.

Nintendo also should have put the emphasis on the 'U' rather than the 'Wii'. Make the 'U' big in the logo and 'Wii' small so you make it clear it's about the 'U' that's new.

In the day and age we live in it seems that people are easily confused over names. That is why everything is numbered. If out of the gate Nintendo would have called the damn thing Wii 2, like I've been bitching about since the start, then there would have been far greater consumer recognition that it wasn't a freaking add on but an actual new console. 

Would it have acheived Wii like sales? Probably not. I would be willing to bet that with that simple name change we would have seen at least 10-12 million consoles sold by now instead of 6 million.

I agree that sales would've been a little, but not much, better for WiiU if the name would have been different though, but because of 'casual'-stamp that goes with the 'Wii' name. If they feel people are confused they should make it clear.

It wouldn't have made as big a difference as a lot of people like to think. They like to believe there's only one problem with the situation when there are really several.

Think of it this way. Even if a lot of people think it's just an add-on for the Wii, they're still not buying it. Anyone who's interested enough to buy it knows what it is, so having a different name with less confusion wouldn't push more people to buy it when they weren't interested in the first place. No one goes, "Oh, wait, it's a whole new system, and not just an add-on? Well then I'm going to the store to buy one right now!" They still don't care.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I've talked to quite a few people, especially casuals, have a confused ideas about the WiiU.
Most seemed to think it was a peripheral for the Wii and had no idea what it could do. I've had to explain over and over that the WiiU was a brand new system.

I think Wii2 would have been a better name at least it conveys a new generation of the console. As time goes on the misconceptions are starting fade, but it is never good for people to not know excatly what you are selling.

Around the Network

It wouldn't have made a difference what the name was. I'm just hoping they choose a different name for their next console.

While there may have been a difference by reducing some "confusion", I'll be honest about it: the name wasn't the problem; it was the way the system was marketed and portrayed.

It's not the name, it was the "appearance", and the lack of proper emphasis on being a successor, and the lack of proper emphasis on using "buzz" words like "next", and "all new"/"brand new"/"latest from Nintendo", and "system" instead of "Gamepad" all the time...

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
dandd said:
I've talked to quite a few people, especially casuals, have a confused ideas about the WiiU.
Most seemed to think it was a peripheral for the Wii and had no idea what it could do. I've had to explain over and over that the WiiU was a brand new system.

I think Wii2 would have been a better name at least it conveys a new generation of the console. As time goes on the misconceptions are starting fade, but it is never good for people to not know excatly what you are selling.

A few ansswers:

1 - not just the name, but the whole concept is confusing, and that's a problem.

With the wii, you see a guy making movement in front of a TV, everything is clear, movement replace buttons, even your grand mother can play it. And people want to buy it. What ever would be unclear, they'd ask to the store some information when coming to buy it.

For the Wii U, what is exacty the concept ? You could have a central board game, extended functionalities, or nothing, case by case depending of the game, is very big controller OK, can you still use your wiimote, is it just an add on as the console seems the same...  That's the question people would have if they had any interest in the overall concept. They don't, and it doesn't have any connection with the console name.

2 - then you explain the concept if any, and people just not run to the store buying it, right ? Because even if it was an add-on as some thought it was... the add-on just didn't make them search on the internet, ask friends, go to the store to buy it or for information. If the add-on is not appealing, why would a console bundling it appeal ?

3 - if the problem was just a bout U versus 2 (I still agree Wii 2 would have been better, but marginally), only saying "The new console by Nintendo" would be enough. It's not.

4 - I don't know for other places, but in Japan they market games like donkey kong like a wii game, you see just a wiimote, not the console or wii pad. Clearly the try to connect back to their past success, even if it could add confusion. And again it's not because of the name.

axumblade said:
bonzobanana said:
Nothing wrong with the 'wii u' name. Sony went with playstation 1, playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation 4 without issues. Xbox then Xbox 360.

There may have been an issue with the visual similarity between wii and wii u though but not the name.

Lets not forget;

1. Poor launch games
2. minimal marketing
3. very weak performance yet high retail price
4. Gamepad controller is over-sized, poor battery life and missing triggers
5. Most wii u games perform worse than the versions on ps3 and 360 which are at the end of their life
6. Didn't come to market with a novel feature (that people wanted) like the motion controller for the wii

The reality is the wii u is only really worth buying if you love first party games and current pricing is far too high for mass market acceptance considering its not suitable for third party games. Most third party games are weak but worst of all there are very few available. There are no real surprises in how the wii u is performing at retail

I would argue the launch games weren't poor but the dryspell after the system released was more of the problem...

Nailed it.  Nothing wrong with the launch games, but when you couple the single longest game drought ever for a Nintendo console (and that's saying something) with the highest price ever for a Nintendo console, it's no surprise why the WiiU tracked well below the Gamecube.

It should've been Wii, and I say that because look at the Iphone, you see that it's Iphone 1, 2 ,3 and so on. With a completely new name nintendo alienated the old folks and kids who think it's just a accesory, but with the number 2 they would've known it's the next version. That's my theory... :D

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)