By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if the Wii U was never called "Wii U"?

Would it sell better?

Absolutely 179 49.72%

Not too much 118 32.78%

Nope 63 17.50%

Total:360

The name is only one of many problems the WiiU has. No matter what they would have called it the system would still lack mass market appeal.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

Not the name. The way they advertised it, everyone thought it was a slim version, but not because of the name, it looks way too much like the original wii, casuals couldn't tell it was a new slightly more powerful console.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Then we wouldn't be having this thread!

But yeah, I've always thought Wii Too woulda been an awesome name.

The problem is not the name, is the hardware of the machine that can't handle coming games like Arkham Knight or The Witcher 3 without making developers tu cut some stuff out of the game and change the playability.

Also people haven't god four eyes and at this point is clear people don't like the gamepad.

The name is one of several problems. Wii 2 would have been much better, as would just about anything non-Wii related.

Around the Network

I think the name was the biggest mistake Nintendo made. But changing the name now won't affect hardcore gamers because they know what it is. It might have an effect on the casual crowd.

I still believe it should have been called the Nintendo Puu

Nothing wrong with the 'wii u' name. Sony went with playstation 1, playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation 4 without issues. Xbox then Xbox 360.

There may have been an issue with the visual similarity between wii and wii u though but not the name.

Lets not forget;

1. Poor launch games
2. minimal marketing
3. very weak performance yet high retail price
4. Gamepad controller is over-sized, poor battery life and missing triggers
5. Most wii u games perform worse than the versions on ps3 and 360 which are at the end of their life
6. Didn't come to market with a novel feature (that people wanted) like the motion controller for the wii

The reality is the wii u is only really worth buying if you love first party games and current pricing is far too high for mass market acceptance considering its not suitable for third party games. Most third party games are weak but worst of all there are very few available. There are no real surprises in how the wii u is performing at retail

It would have been significantly better off; the current name is stupid and confusing. Makes it sound like a peripheral for the Wii.

It would have sold Billions if they called it wiiwii. I honestly have no idea who thought of wii u "Oh the wii was a success lets add a U for no discernible reason herpa derp." Of course it wasn't it's only problem but damn that was a dumb idea.

Consoles: 3DS, Wii U, and Vita soon. Super Paper Mario fan.