By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 doing really that bad in Japan?

cgen said:

I don't know if this subject is already being discussed somewhere else but I just realized that the 360 already passed the original xbox lifetime sales in Japan. Is it legitimate then to call the 360 a success in Japan even tough it's not selling as much as the rivals?

No, I would not call it a success, the original xbox sales were just depressing and it's too easy to sell better. This time around MS corrected a lot of mistakes they made in the past, releasing an amazing amount of good titles for the japanese market, but is still struggling. PS3 is selling very bad too, but that's not a great consolation.

Hopefully they'll shift their attention to continental Europe in the years to come.

Around the Network

its a failure

MS is actually trying to compete in Japan, but not doing so well. They have the exclusive games, but that is not helping. Maybe a redesigned, smaller form factor would help. Maybe it is a lost cause.

They should just buy Sega and call it the "Super-Mega Dreamcast 2" in Japan. That might do something.

MS should abandon Japan, 600 000 units sold in 26 months is a joke.

I don’t think 360 is doing that bad in comparison to the Xbox. However there is still room for ALOT of improvement especially for the software sales.

Around the Network

Well untill some games will actually worth it to be released in Japan exclusively on the 360 , untill then Il call it a fail ( there at least , in the US its doing great ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

even though it has passed the origignal xboxs total lifetime sales thats nothing to brag about

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

it's like passing a retard in math test, you don't brag about it. ;)

Microsoft is spending way too much and end up with little effect in Japan, Poor Mistwalker, and all the time exclusive titles Microsoft paid for. What did it do for xbox? 600k in 2+ years?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Bad is a relative term. It's doing better than the Xbox, but really nothing that looks overly promising for the future. I'm not sure the 720 is going to take off there if this is any sign of the Microsoft fanbase in Japan.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Here is one way to make the 360 sales in Japan look good:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=XB&reg1=Japan&cons2=NGP&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

In all seriousness, it is tough for a non-Japanese console maker to do well in that market. It was the case during the classic period (Atari 2800, Bandai Intellivision, Phillips/Magnovox Odyeesy 2). It is the case now.

My guess is that Microsoft is staying there so it can (1) figure out the market and (2) make one last try with the 720. If they can make the Zune a mobile unit that goes along with the machine, that might also spur sales.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV